lexrexus@fastmail.fm

Counterfeit?

Post by lexrexus@fastmail.fm »

Have a presentation-type sheath knife marked 'J.A.Henkels Germany'
instead of "J. A. Henckels"
Boar, gold etching on blade
'HK 502 Handforged Stainless'

Is that a counterfeit?
Do you know an approximate date for the knife regardless?

Thank you.
kootenay joe

Re: Counterfeit?

Post by kootenay joe »

Pictures of sheath & knife are needed before a reliable answer can be given.
Henckels stopped making folding knives in 1960. All folding knives marked "Henckels" made after 1960 are contract knives; i.e. made by another manufacturer.
Henckels continued making their own fixed blades after 1960 but i believe at some point they too became contract knives.
Your sheath with "Henkels" could be a mistake that Henckels did not cull ?
I have not heard of any company faking Henckels sheath knives (aka "fixed blades")
If not made by Henckels, even though marked "Henckels", is the knife a Henckels ?
Note, nearly all knife manufacturers contract out some knife patterns.
Some collectors group knives by their markings, others by who actually made them.
Notice that my reply here is a bit 'fuzzy' ? This is the world of knives where frequently there is no clear answer to the millions of questions.
Welcome to AAPK.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Are you sure of the stamp on your knife. Could it possibly be Paul A. Henkels?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

As KJ said, we need to see actual photos of your knife. It's like asking if a blind date is pretty and everyone refuses to show you a photo. ::paranoid::

The following link might be the type of knife you are asking about:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1829146047

We still need to see YOUR knife. Otherwise, it's like asking if a blind date is pretty and you are shown a photo of her best friend instead of the date. ::uc::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Assuming knife linked to by st is the same as your knife, then you ask how old it might be. Short answer: don't know. Longer answer: stag handled German knives, folders & fixed blades were quite popular in USA in the 1970's & ' 80's. (think Puma)
As a guess this knife could be from end of 1980's into 1990's as Henckels is slow to jump on bandwagons.
kj
lexrexus@fastmail.fm

Post by lexrexus@fastmail.fm »

Henkel vs Henckel.

282625137333 is the item # on Ebay 'til Wed., pm, to view more of the pics.

[image][/image]
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That is a legit Henckels knife although i doubt it was made by Henckels. It addition to the wild boar etch the same knife also comes with a bear etch, deer etch and maybe others. The tang being stamped "J.A. Henkels" (no "c") is very odd. I assume a new stamping die was used and no one checked to see if new die had correct spelling.
These knives are nothing special. They show up on ebay regularly and sell for as low as $50.
To fake such a complex etch i think would be too difficult relative to what you might make by selling it.
I recently sold mine (had the whitetail deer etch) otherwise i would check to see if it too is marked "Henkels".
kj

Return to “Henckels”