Anybody know anything about this J.A. Henckels model.

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
JMAC

Anybody know anything about this J.A. Henckels model.

Post by JMAC »

I buffed it to restore it many moons ago and the stamp is barely there.
It says J.A.Henckels FRIODUR Solingen.

I’m 57 now and I remember trading my whole matchbox car collection for it when I was about 12 years old.

https://imgur.com/gallery/OtDBsBb
Attachments
UdIMTme_d.jpg
NRA Member
Ain’t nothing better than having an old sharp carbon steel Case knife in your pocket.
kootenay joe

Re: Anybody know anything about this J.A. Henckels model.

Post by kootenay joe »

Henckels has made a huge variety of knives for every use known to man. And some of the knives they sold were contract knives, i.e. made for them by another manufacturer, usually Boker.
Your knife is not in my old Henckels catalogs but it likely is in a newer catalog. It could be a Boker made knife because the stag is not what Henckels stag usually looks like. The only way to know for sure is to find a similar knife that is marked "Boker".
It really is only of academic interest as to who actually made it because the quality will be equally high.
Age at a guess is 1960's-'70's.
If you sharpened it and used it enough to remove some of the shine i think it would look 'better'.
kj
JMAC

Re: Anybody know anything about this J.A. Henckels model.

Post by JMAC »

Thanks kj
About ten years ago I got a 6000 rpm bench grinder with cloth wheels and some jewelers rouge to polish pinewood derby axels.
After it was set up in my shop I think I buffed everything I owned into a mirror including that blade :-|
You’re right it deserves to be sharpened and used.
I’ll put an edge on it this weekend.
It’s gutted many deer back in the day before I buffed it.
JM
NRA Member
Ain’t nothing better than having an old sharp carbon steel Case knife in your pocket.

Return to “Henckels”