Are these Canoes made by Bertram Cutlery?

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Are these Canoes made by Bertram Cutlery?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

This question is probably already answered in another thread, but I seem to be completely unable to find anything when I search on here.
I keep seeing these Henckels Canoes coming up for sale every now and then on Ebay and I can’t help but notice how much they look exactly like these A.G. Russell canoes from when he owned the Bertram Cutlery Company. Does anyone know if these were made there? The Henckels pictured is one that was for sale on Ebay this past week. The other two are A.G. Russells that I have. The stag on both the Henckels and the Mohawk are done in that old fashioned way of keeping the stag bark right up to the edge of the bolsters instead of hafting away a lot of it. The lines, the blades and the stag is all pretty much a twin of the A.G. Russell. Thanks for the help.
Attachments
IMG_0479.jpeg
IMG_0479.jpeg (20.67 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
IMG_3810.jpeg
IMG_2875.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Doc B

Re: Are these Canoes made by Bertram Cutlery?

Post by Doc B »

Heart palpitations, with the stag on that bottom one!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doc B wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:57 pm Heart palpitations, with the stag on that bottom one!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Yep. ::nod:: ::nod::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I should clarify. I know that the Mohawks were made in the Bertram Cutlery factory when A.G. Russell owned it. So if these Henckels are made there, then they too would have to be 50 years old as well. Since A.G. lost the Bertram Cutlery in 1970. I would like to know that before I start trying to acquire some of these too.
You guys are both right, they just don’t make them this way anymore.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark what can be said is that Henckels did not make your Henckels canoe. Boker is believed to have made most of the Henckels branded folders made after 1960. Kissing Crane may also have made some ?
Henckels did have their own supply of distinctive looking Stag. The Stag used by Boker, K.C. or Bertram would have been bought from a supplier of handle material for knives. I doubt there is much quality difference in the German made Henckels contract knives. Buy the ones you find most attractive and don't worry about who actually made them.
The Hencles made folding knives are the valuable ones. The German made Henckles branded contact knives are of lesser value regardless of who made them.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks kj.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

"Since A.G. lost the Bertram Cutlery in 1970."

Mark, If you check I believe you will find that AGR lost Bertrams in 1980 rather than 70.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:05 pm "Since A.G. lost the Bertram Cutlery in 1970."

Mark, If you check I believe you will find that AGR lost Bertrams in 1980 rather than 70.
Thanks Garry, I realized after I posted that I had gotten the date wrong.

Return to “Henckels”