Grandfather's Henckel folder with Bowie blade

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
kootenay joe

Re: Grandfather's Henckel folder with Bowie blade

Post by kootenay joe »

AAPK is not a 'competitive' type of forum in which people try to be the most knowledgeable, etc. AAPK is a forum in which we are supportive of each other and thus learn from each other.
I have made many posts which were incorrect and i learned something from subsequent correct posts. We contribute by posting whether or not what we post is 100% accurate. The only way to not contribute is to not post.
kj
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I found a guide which shows the tang stamp was in use from 1900 to 1968. So I'm guessing grandpa bought this. From his history the 1920s would be the most likely period. He and his 5 brothers started Stone Brothers Jewelry and this was a prosperous time for him.
216233_1015721786441_7439_n.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

As i said in my first post, Henckels stopped making folding knives in 1960. If the stamping was used until 1968 then Henckles gave the die to the contract manufacturer (Boker) who was then making folding knives for Henckles.
Your knife is a Hencles made knife, so older than 1960, There is no way to know for certain how much earlier because Henckles made no changes to their patterns from the first knife they made to the last.
There is a certain look to the stag Henckles used back in the 'old days' If you see this stag on a Henckles folding knife then you know is goes back to at least 1920 ? or maybe 1915 ? or ?? I don't know when the older looking Stag was last used (or first used)
Yours does not have this 'older look' stag so i'd guess it to be no older than about 1920's ?
I hope someone who actually knows Henckles will post and either corroborate what i have said or suggest changes. These are my observations from owning a few Henckels knives. I have yet to find a book that discusses Henckels folding knives in detail. I have at least 2000 old Henckels catalog pages but they are not dated. They are obviously old but i don't know if late 1800's or early 1900's or even mid 1800's.
I need a Henckels mentor.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Where was Stone Brothers Jewelry located ? The store front looks similar to old stores built in small towns in Western Canada around 1900.
Maybe this was a design that was used in all towns, small or big, because it gave a lot of window display area ?
kj
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:41 am Where was Stone Brothers Jewelry located ? The store front looks similar to old stores built in small towns in Western Canada around 1900.
Maybe this was a design that was used in all towns, small or big, because it gave a lot of window display area ?
kj
They had stores in St. Louis MO, Alton and Chicago IL, Milwaukee WI that I know of. My grandfather was in charge of the three St. Louis stores.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Nice old knife even without the family history. The family history makes it priceless.

I’d really like to see pictures of the back springs if it’s not too much trouble.

Have you made progress with opening the small blades?

Return to “Henckels”