Horseman

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
BWT

Horseman

Post by BWT »

Just got this knife today. Needs a little cleanup. I’m wondering since Germany is not on the tang if it’s possible it was made for German use because I don’t believe it is a knife produced before 1891,and then brought over here after being purchased there? Zwillingswerk appears to be on the tang but is partially blocked by the bolster. Deutsches Armeemesser is written on the hoof pick? It has a small chip on the stag and missing I guess would be a tweezer. The main blade locks open an unlocks when the smaller blade is pushed down. Has good snap and no wobble on the blades. Was wondering what the approximate value would be in this condition? Thanks for your information or comments!
Attachments
51306EE9-A276-4CCA-84AD-8DA0E5FE499A.jpeg
2F47E720-F228-441E-99DC-7754B91559F6.jpeg
Bill
Gunsil

Re: Horseman

Post by Gunsil »

Very nice knife!! I would say you are correct that the knife was made for in county sales since the words on the pick translate to German army knife. I don't think it was used by the army sort of like NYK knives marked army knife.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Gene for your help. ::tu::
Bill
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

BWT, I just recently became interested in Henckels and came across your Horseman knife post way back in March.

I am curious if you found any more details about it, particularly its age. As you probably know the German Army made extensive use of horses all the way through WWII. In that war, they used over a million horses for transport. We think of the Germans being highly mechanized, but for carrying artillery, supplies, etc., horses were a necessity in the European theater. So I think there would be at least a fair chance the knife was issued and used in the Army. In any event, if you could get an approximate time of its issue that ought to heavily affect its value. [Perhaps you succeeded already in determining that.]

Return to “Henckels”