Henckels Made Knives Versus Boker Made Knives

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
Mason

Henckels Made Knives Versus Boker Made Knives

Post by Mason »

I'll start this note by stating that it is often hard to correct wrong information that has been previously printed and repeated many times over.
It's been said that Henckels stopped manufacturing pocket knives by 1960 or in the 1960s, which is simply not true.
Part of the problem lies in the fact that Henckels ended their relationship with Iwersen & Albrecht around 1960 who had represented J. A. Henckels in the United States since 1948. Henckels didn't stop manufacturing pocket knives in 1960, they just continued on by representing themselves. The pocket knives that Henckels were offering by the 1960s were only a fraction of what they once offered, but they continued to manufacture their own pocket knives up until 1975 when in that same year, Boker started to manufacture pocket knives for Henckels. Those Boker-made pocket knives with a Henckels name attached were all previous patterns of Boker. While some of those models were similar to original Henckels models, they were all absolutely different in construction in every detail. It has been brought up that Boker was possibly making original Henckels pocket knives in the 1960s, but that is not true either. Enclosed are two Henckels catalogs side by side from 1957 (on left) and 1962 (on right) which show the changes of representation at the bottom of the catalogs. Henckels pocket knives from the early post WWII era right up until 1975 are the same models and made by Henckels even as those models dwindled to a very small selection. Henckels stopped producing pocket knives in 1975 because the market and profit just wasn't there, but they did very well with kitchen cutlery which is still offered.
Attachments
Henckels Catalogs 1957 1962 (1200x751).jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Henckels Made Knives Versus Boker Made Knives

Post by kootenay joe »

The very old Henckels, circa 1900 often had very thick stock for the master blade. At some point they began to use slightly thinner stock but still thicker than that used by other manufacturers. There was a third change to slightly slimmer blade stock and these knives have the Henckels pattern numbers stamped on the tang.
I have sold almost all my old Henckels knives so i cannot show this in pictures. For example i had 2 serpentine pen knives, both being the same Henckels pattern and both having Henckels bone for handles. There were identical except for 2 things: one had slightly thicker stock for the master blade and no pattern number. The other had slightly thinner blade stock and the rear tang was stamped with the Henckels pattern number.
Does anyone know when Henckels began marking their folding knives with the pattern number ?
I had thought these might have been early contract knives but Neal says that the Boker made 'Henckels' are Boker patterns.
The knives i am speaking about are Henckels patterns so therefore none are contract knives.
kj
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I have an almost-mint Henckels trapper with faux tortoiseshell handles that I got for a song on the Bay because the shield was missing. Beautiful frosted blades. I noticed right away it was identical in every way to my Boker trappers. So I keep it in my "Boker" compartment.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thank you Neal for clearing this up for us. It’s nice to have this as a reference now for when this question comes up again as it does from time to time.
I try my best to label the Henckels I sell in my store as either from Boker or from Henckels so folks who purchase them will know.
I know the patterns for Boker are the same as the ones they made for Henckels, but I honestly think the Henckels made by Boker are made of higher quality material than Boker used on their own brand of knives, just my opinion. I have handled a lot of both over the years and have seen a difference in them that I can’t explain otherwise.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So does that mean this is pre-1975 or that it is a Boker made Henckels? Looks awfully new to me. It's the only Henckels marked knife I own and I got it in 2011.
Attachments
JA Henckels  HK-25-B - Labeled.JPG
JA Henckels  HK-25-B Model.JPG
JA Henckels  HK-25-B Tang.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Jerry, I’ve sold several of those knives and they are made by Boker.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:19 pm So does that mean this is pre-1975 or that it is a Boker made Henckels? Looks awfully new to me. It's the only Henckels marked knife I own and I got it in 2011.
That's a Boker 7474 4" stockman pattern.
Eye Brand Collector
Mason

Post by Mason »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:29 am The very old Henckels, circa 1900 often had very thick stock for the master blade. At some point they began to use slightly thinner stock but still thicker than that used by other manufacturers. There was a third change to slightly slimmer blade stock and these knives have the Henckels pattern numbers stamped on the tang.
I have sold almost all my old Henckels knives so i cannot show this in pictures. For example i had 2 serpentine pen knives, both being the same Henckels pattern and both having Henckels bone for handles. There were identical except for 2 things: one had slightly thicker stock for the master blade and no pattern number. The other had slightly thinner blade stock and the rear tang was stamped with the Henckels pattern number.
Does anyone know when Henckels began marking their folding knives with the pattern number ?
I had thought these might have been early contract knives but Neal says that the Boker made 'Henckels' are Boker patterns.
The knives i am speaking about are Henckels patterns so therefore none are contract knives.
kj
Yes, old Henckels knives were among the best made from any country.

I don't know exactly when Henckels started stamping model numbers on the back blade sides of some of their knives, but I would guess sometime after WWII. The percentage of Henckels knives with a stamped model number is actually quite low from what I have seen, only around a dozen models that I have noticed. Many of those stamped models were among the few that made it to the end of the Henckels production time in 1975. Unfortunately, catalogs only show the front sides of pocket knives which places a barrier on knowing which models had numbers on the back sides and when. It's also interesting that the first generation of Boker-made pocket knives for Henckels (1975 - 1979) had model numbers stamped on the back sides of the blade tang. Those numbers were not the same as previous Henckels numbers and were not seen again after 1979.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Just to be sure i understand correctly: the first "generation" of knives made by Boker for Henckels are Boker patterns, not the Henckels patterns. Correct ?
kj
Mason

Post by Mason »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:19 pm So does that mean this is pre-1975 or that it is a Boker made Henckels? Looks awfully new to me. It's the only Henckels marked knife I own and I got it in 2011.
That's fine looking Boker-made folder for Henckels which dates to the late 1990s. Enclosed is a catalog illustration from 1997 showing the stag handled version with your jigged bone model described below.
Attachments
Henckels cat 1997 B_20210709_0001 (2) (735x1400).jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Interesting discussion of the Henckels brand on pocket knives.

In the early 1990's, I recall two things related to JA Henckels pocket knives.

Up to that time, I had not seen any new JA Henckels pocket knives for sale since maybe the early 70's when I started knife collecting.

Of course, their forged kitchen knives were widely sold.

About 1990 or 91, SMKW started selling JA Henckels pocket knives made by Boker in Solingen. These were very nice, high quality knives, made in the unmistakable Boker patterns but with short pattern numbers, like HK-1-B, HK-2-B, etc.

They were available with red bone and genuine stag handles, and some had "HAND FORGED" marked on the back tang, very unusual for pocket knives at that time.

I wanted to see if JA Henckels corporate was actually distributing these knives themselves, so I contacted them by phone at their US office in New York. They sent me a brochure, but the only pocket knives offered by JA Henckels corporate at that time were knives that resembled Swiss Army knives.

So based on that, my assumption was that SMKW licensed the JA Henckels brand and had Boker make them an exclusive line of pocket knives.

And I recently had a JA Henckels "Swiss Army" knife, the first one that I actually ever had in hand. Unmistakable - made by Victorinox, identical to their basic pattern.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mason

Post by Mason »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:01 pm Just to be sure i understand correctly: the first "generation" of knives made by Boker for Henckels are Boker patterns, not the Henckels patterns. Correct ?
kj
Yes, that is correct. If you look on pages 40 and 41 of the Henckels book you will see the knives that were Boker models. Many of those models were never offered by Henckels originally such as the "Canoe". Another later Boker-made model that was never offered originally by Henckels was the "Barlow".
Mason

Post by Mason »

knifeaholic wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:16 pm Interesting discussion of the Henckels brand on pocket knives.

In the early 1990's, I recall two things related to JA Henckels pocket knives.

Up to that time, I had not seen any new JA Henckels pocket knives for sale since maybe the early 70's when I started knife collecting.

Of course, their forged kitchen knives were widely sold.

About 1990 or 91, SMKW started selling JA Henckels pocket knives made by Boker in Solingen. These were very nice, high quality knives, made in the unmistakable Boker patterns but with short pattern numbers, like HK-1-B, HK-2-B, etc.

They were available with red bone and genuine stag handles, and some had "HAND FORGED" marked on the back tang, very unusual for pocket knives at that time.

I wanted to see if JA Henckels corporate was actually distributing these knives themselves, so I contacted them by phone at their US office in New York. They sent me a brochure, but the only pocket knives offered by JA Henckels corporate at that time were knives that resembled Swiss Army knives.

So based on that, my assumption was that SMKW licensed the JA Henckels brand and had Boker make them an exclusive line of pocket knives.

And I recently had a JA Henckels "Swiss Army" knife, the first one that I actually ever had in hand. Unmistakable - made by Victorinox, identical to their basic pattern.
Thanks and some good observations from your end.
It was quite a puzzle to put a timeline on Henckels from after WWII up through the early 2000s.
Henckels never did a good job of promoting or selling pocket knives in the United States from the late 1800s onward.
By comparison, Boker blew them out of the water in advertising and sales which is why we see so many more old Boker knives than Henckels knives.
You are close on your description of Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountain selling Boker-made Henckels knives, but Henckels actually contracted out to Boker well before Blue Ridge and Smokey came along. And yes, Henckels also contracted out to Victorinox for a short time period.
It's all in the book... :)
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

This thread is EXACTLY why I support AAPK - thank you Neal for starting and all the contributions so far. ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mason wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:11 pm
That's fine looking Boker-made folder for Henckels which dates to the late 1990s. Enclosed is a catalog illustration from 1997 showing the stag handled version with your jigged bone model described below.
Thanks for the info.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mason

Post by Mason »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:51 pm Thank you Neal for clearing this up for us. It’s nice to have this as a reference now for when this question comes up again as it does from time to time.
I try my best to label the Henckels I sell in my store as either from Boker or from Henckels so folks who purchase them will know.
I know the patterns for Boker are the same as the ones they made for Henckels, but I honestly think the Henckels made by Boker are made of higher quality material than Boker used on their own brand of knives, just my opinion. I have handled a lot of both over the years and have seen a difference in them that I can’t explain otherwise.
Some Henckels knives certainly can be a bit confusing.
And I agree that while Boker knives were pretty good quality overall, Boker-made folders for Henckels were a little higher quality yet.
The bone and stag used on those contract knives were premium grade with very good fit and finish.
I believe that Henckels requested the best possible knives from Boker that were stamped with the Henckels name.
Mason

Post by Mason »

bestgear wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 pm This thread is EXACTLY why I support AAPK - thank you Neal for starting and all the contributions so far. ::handshake::
Thanks for the kind words Tom.
I'm always impressed with the collective knowledge that exists on AAPK.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

In the 1980s when managing a Cutlery store in Oregon my sales representative for Henckels was a gentleman named John Allison.
John had a hobby of repairing pocket knives. He was the first person I ever knew who did such a thing. He related to me a fascinating story; on one of his visits to the factory in Solingen one of the higher-ups at Henckels approached him and made him an offer. He said, "As you know Henckles has not made a pocket knife since 1960. In this room are all of the leftover parts for the knives when we discontinuing production in 1960. We understand that you repair pocket knives so we would like to make you an offer. We sold a lot of pocket knives in the United States over the last many years. We would like to service these customers but it's not feasible to have them send the knives Germany. If you will repair knives for our old Henckels customers and charge them a nominal fee for the repair we will give you all of the parts we have left in this room." (This is not a direct quote but it is as close as I remember have John told the story.)

John said I could not take all of the parts because I could not have gotten them all in my garage even without the cars. But Henckels shipped to him all of the parts he chose and shipped them at their expense.
John said there were parts for just about every knife that Henckles had ever made; full sets of replacement blades, back springs liners, handle material, from stag to Boeing, Pearl, ivory and even some tortoise shell. There were pins of all different sizes, bolsters, everything you would need to repair the old Henckels knives.
He showed me his favorite EDC, a small two blade Jack with tortoiseshell handles. He said he'd like tortoiseshell because it has a warm feel to it. I must admit it was the first time I had ever seen a knife with tortoiseshell handles, it was very nice!

I don't know what the books say about when Henckels stopped making pocket knives and if they space them out gradually or if they did it all at once. I am certainly not disagreeing with what anyone said here because I honestly don't know aside from what John told me. My assumption had been that the production was stopped pretty much all at once from what John said. They may have been selling off Old Stock years later as I know some of the American companies have done.

Whether Henckels cease production of the pocket knives at one time or gradually is not something I am prepared to argue one way or the other. I just thought some of you might enjoy hearing the story that John told me. The conversation took place in the 1980s, circa 1985 to the best of my recollection. Approximately 2010 I made some paring knives for Charlie Campagna. He gave me some stag to put on some of the handles and told me this tag had originally come from the Henckels Factory. I asked him if he had gotten the stag from
John Allison. He said he didn't know the gentleman this day came from as the deal was brokered by Bernard Levine. I asked Bernard if the stag had come from John Allison and he confirmed that it had.

I find history fascinating, not because of data, facts and dates but because of the interaction between people and how that interaction forms a story, the story of people. It also makes the connection between the past and the present. One of the reasons I like repairing heirloom knives and customizing knives for people is that these are often passed down to yet another generation. These become threads that weave objects belonging to previous generations into the tapestry of the present and future Generations lives.
When we stand back and look at the tapestry we begin to understand better than reason for existence.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mason

Post by Mason »

orvet wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:11 pm In the 1980s when managing a Cutlery store in Oregon my sales representative for Henckels was a gentleman named John Allison.
John had a hobby of repairing pocket knives. He was the first person I ever knew who did such a thing. He related to me a fascinating story; on one of his visits to the factory in Solingen one of the higher-ups at Henckels approached him and made him an offer. He said, "As you know Henckles has not made a pocket knife since 1960. In this room are all of the leftover parts for the knives when we discontinuing production in 1960. We understand that you repair pocket knives so we would like to make you an offer. We sold a lot of pocket knives in the United States over the last many years. We would like to service these customers but it's not feasible to have them send the knives Germany. If you will repair knives for our old Henckels customers and charge them a nominal fee for the repair we will give you all of the parts we have left in this room." (This is not a direct quote but it is as close as I remember have John told the story.)

John said I could not take all of the parts because I could not have gotten them all in my garage even without the cars. But Henckels shipped to him all of the parts he chose and shipped them at their expense.
John said there were parts for just about every knife that Henckles had ever made; full sets of replacement blades, back springs liners, handle material, from stag to Boeing, Pearl, ivory and even some tortoise shell. There were pins of all different sizes, bolsters, everything you would need to repair the old Henckels knives.
He showed me his favorite EDC, a small two blade Jack with tortoiseshell handles. He said he'd like tortoiseshell because it has a warm feel to it. I must admit it was the first time I had ever seen a knife with tortoiseshell handles, it was very nice!

I don't know what the books say about when Henckels stopped making pocket knives and if they space them out gradually or if they did it all at once. I am certainly not disagreeing with what anyone said here because I honestly don't know aside from what John told me. My assumption had been that the production was stopped pretty much all at once from what John said. They may have been selling off Old Stock years later as I know some of the American companies have done.

Whether Henckels cease production of the pocket knives at one time or gradually is not something I am prepared to argue one way or the other. I just thought some of you might enjoy hearing the story that John told me. The conversation took place in the 1980s, circa 1985 to the best of my recollection. Approximately 2010 I made some paring knives for Charlie Campagna. He gave me some stag to put on some of the handles and told me this tag had originally come from the Henckels Factory. I asked him if he had gotten the stag from
John Allison. He said he didn't know the gentleman this day came from as the deal was brokered by Bernard Levine. I asked Bernard if the stag had come from John Allison and he confirmed that it had.

I find history fascinating, not because of data, facts and dates but because of the interaction between people and how that interaction forms a story, the story of people. It also makes the connection between the past and the present. One of the reasons I like repairing heirloom knives and customizing knives for people is that these are often passed down to yet another generation. These become threads that weave objects belonging to previous generations into the tapestry of the present and future Generations lives.
When we stand back and look at the tapestry we begin to understand better than reason for existence.
Dale, I respect your story from John Allison but would certainly disagree with what he said about Henckels stopping pocket knife production in 1960.
I can only assume that John heard the information wrong, or that the Henckels rep gave him wrong information. I have factory Henckels catalogs dating from the 1800s, but more relevant to this discussion, from 1957, 1962, 1964, 1968 (retail), 1975, and beyond, which show the pocket knife models that Henckels made and the later folders that Boker made for Henckels. Henckels certainly offered far fewer pocket knives from 1960 onward and only a few models were available in 1975, but Henckels did continue to produce pocket knives none the less. I can absolutely believe that John Allison acquired a quantity of parts from Henckels since it was clear that Henckels was phasing out of the pocket knife field, but I think the story goes off course from there. Henckels had discontinued a great many pocket knife models around that time, and I'll bet that John got parts from those models that Henckels had decided to no longer offer. As we all know, stories and memories are not always the truth.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

There is so much rich information provided here that I am simply making this entry to bring it forward. Giving it a bit more publicity.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:00 am There is so much rich information provided here that I am simply making this entry to bring it forward. Giving it a bit more publicity.
''

Thanks for doing so Garry because I missed this entirely when it was originally posted. Good stuff here. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Just discovered it recently myself.
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

I love henckel knives and the info coming from this thread is priceless!
Way to go guys!!

Jim
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
wlf

Post by wlf »

Dale is right about history involving people being much more interesting. Nice story Dale, I really, really enjoyed it.

Mason does have the papers though.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wonderful information, and great stories! Thank y’all for sharing,
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Henckels”