Henckels Made Knives Versus Boker Made Knives

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
Mason

Re: Henckels Made Knives Versus Boker Made Knives

Post by Mason »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:51 pm Thank you Neal for clearing this up for us. It’s nice to have this as a reference now for when this question comes up again as it does from time to time.
I try my best to label the Henckels I sell in my store as either from Boker or from Henckels so folks who purchase them will know.
I know the patterns for Boker are the same as the ones they made for Henckels, but I honestly think the Henckels made by Boker are made of higher quality material than Boker used on their own brand of knives, just my opinion. I have handled a lot of both over the years and have seen a difference in them that I can’t explain otherwise.
Some Henckels knives certainly can be a bit confusing.
And I agree that while Boker knives were pretty good quality overall, Boker-made folders for Henckels were a little higher quality yet.
The bone and stag used on those contract knives were premium grade with very good fit and finish.
I believe that Henckels requested the best possible knives from Boker that were stamped with the Henckels name.
Mason

Post by Mason »

bestgear wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:45 pm This thread is EXACTLY why I support AAPK - thank you Neal for starting and all the contributions so far. ::handshake::
Thanks for the kind words Tom.
I'm always impressed with the collective knowledge that exists on AAPK.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

In the 1980s when managing a Cutlery store in Oregon my sales representative for Henckels was a gentleman named John Allison.
John had a hobby of repairing pocket knives. He was the first person I ever knew who did such a thing. He related to me a fascinating story; on one of his visits to the factory in Solingen one of the higher-ups at Henckels approached him and made him an offer. He said, "As you know Henckles has not made a pocket knife since 1960. In this room are all of the leftover parts for the knives when we discontinuing production in 1960. We understand that you repair pocket knives so we would like to make you an offer. We sold a lot of pocket knives in the United States over the last many years. We would like to service these customers but it's not feasible to have them send the knives Germany. If you will repair knives for our old Henckels customers and charge them a nominal fee for the repair we will give you all of the parts we have left in this room." (This is not a direct quote but it is as close as I remember have John told the story.)

John said I could not take all of the parts because I could not have gotten them all in my garage even without the cars. But Henckels shipped to him all of the parts he chose and shipped them at their expense.
John said there were parts for just about every knife that Henckles had ever made; full sets of replacement blades, back springs liners, handle material, from stag to Boeing, Pearl, ivory and even some tortoise shell. There were pins of all different sizes, bolsters, everything you would need to repair the old Henckels knives.
He showed me his favorite EDC, a small two blade Jack with tortoiseshell handles. He said he'd like tortoiseshell because it has a warm feel to it. I must admit it was the first time I had ever seen a knife with tortoiseshell handles, it was very nice!

I don't know what the books say about when Henckels stopped making pocket knives and if they space them out gradually or if they did it all at once. I am certainly not disagreeing with what anyone said here because I honestly don't know aside from what John told me. My assumption had been that the production was stopped pretty much all at once from what John said. They may have been selling off Old Stock years later as I know some of the American companies have done.

Whether Henckels cease production of the pocket knives at one time or gradually is not something I am prepared to argue one way or the other. I just thought some of you might enjoy hearing the story that John told me. The conversation took place in the 1980s, circa 1985 to the best of my recollection. Approximately 2010 I made some paring knives for Charlie Campagna. He gave me some stag to put on some of the handles and told me this tag had originally come from the Henckels Factory. I asked him if he had gotten the stag from
John Allison. He said he didn't know the gentleman this day came from as the deal was brokered by Bernard Levine. I asked Bernard if the stag had come from John Allison and he confirmed that it had.

I find history fascinating, not because of data, facts and dates but because of the interaction between people and how that interaction forms a story, the story of people. It also makes the connection between the past and the present. One of the reasons I like repairing heirloom knives and customizing knives for people is that these are often passed down to yet another generation. These become threads that weave objects belonging to previous generations into the tapestry of the present and future Generations lives.
When we stand back and look at the tapestry we begin to understand better than reason for existence.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mason

Post by Mason »

orvet wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:11 pm In the 1980s when managing a Cutlery store in Oregon my sales representative for Henckels was a gentleman named John Allison.
John had a hobby of repairing pocket knives. He was the first person I ever knew who did such a thing. He related to me a fascinating story; on one of his visits to the factory in Solingen one of the higher-ups at Henckels approached him and made him an offer. He said, "As you know Henckles has not made a pocket knife since 1960. In this room are all of the leftover parts for the knives when we discontinuing production in 1960. We understand that you repair pocket knives so we would like to make you an offer. We sold a lot of pocket knives in the United States over the last many years. We would like to service these customers but it's not feasible to have them send the knives Germany. If you will repair knives for our old Henckels customers and charge them a nominal fee for the repair we will give you all of the parts we have left in this room." (This is not a direct quote but it is as close as I remember have John told the story.)

John said I could not take all of the parts because I could not have gotten them all in my garage even without the cars. But Henckels shipped to him all of the parts he chose and shipped them at their expense.
John said there were parts for just about every knife that Henckles had ever made; full sets of replacement blades, back springs liners, handle material, from stag to Boeing, Pearl, ivory and even some tortoise shell. There were pins of all different sizes, bolsters, everything you would need to repair the old Henckels knives.
He showed me his favorite EDC, a small two blade Jack with tortoiseshell handles. He said he'd like tortoiseshell because it has a warm feel to it. I must admit it was the first time I had ever seen a knife with tortoiseshell handles, it was very nice!

I don't know what the books say about when Henckels stopped making pocket knives and if they space them out gradually or if they did it all at once. I am certainly not disagreeing with what anyone said here because I honestly don't know aside from what John told me. My assumption had been that the production was stopped pretty much all at once from what John said. They may have been selling off Old Stock years later as I know some of the American companies have done.

Whether Henckels cease production of the pocket knives at one time or gradually is not something I am prepared to argue one way or the other. I just thought some of you might enjoy hearing the story that John told me. The conversation took place in the 1980s, circa 1985 to the best of my recollection. Approximately 2010 I made some paring knives for Charlie Campagna. He gave me some stag to put on some of the handles and told me this tag had originally come from the Henckels Factory. I asked him if he had gotten the stag from
John Allison. He said he didn't know the gentleman this day came from as the deal was brokered by Bernard Levine. I asked Bernard if the stag had come from John Allison and he confirmed that it had.

I find history fascinating, not because of data, facts and dates but because of the interaction between people and how that interaction forms a story, the story of people. It also makes the connection between the past and the present. One of the reasons I like repairing heirloom knives and customizing knives for people is that these are often passed down to yet another generation. These become threads that weave objects belonging to previous generations into the tapestry of the present and future Generations lives.
When we stand back and look at the tapestry we begin to understand better than reason for existence.
Dale, I respect your story from John Allison but would certainly disagree with what he said about Henckels stopping pocket knife production in 1960.
I can only assume that John heard the information wrong, or that the Henckels rep gave him wrong information. I have factory Henckels catalogs dating from the 1800s, but more relevant to this discussion, from 1957, 1962, 1964, 1968 (retail), 1975, and beyond, which show the pocket knife models that Henckels made and the later folders that Boker made for Henckels. Henckels certainly offered far fewer pocket knives from 1960 onward and only a few models were available in 1975, but Henckels did continue to produce pocket knives none the less. I can absolutely believe that John Allison acquired a quantity of parts from Henckels since it was clear that Henckels was phasing out of the pocket knife field, but I think the story goes off course from there. Henckels had discontinued a great many pocket knife models around that time, and I'll bet that John got parts from those models that Henckels had decided to no longer offer. As we all know, stories and memories are not always the truth.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

There is so much rich information provided here that I am simply making this entry to bring it forward. Giving it a bit more publicity.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Quick Steel wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:00 am There is so much rich information provided here that I am simply making this entry to bring it forward. Giving it a bit more publicity.
''

Thanks for doing so Garry because I missed this entirely when it was originally posted. Good stuff here. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Just discovered it recently myself.
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

I love henckel knives and the info coming from this thread is priceless!
Way to go guys!!

Jim
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
wlf

Post by wlf »

Dale is right about history involving people being much more interesting. Nice story Dale, I really, really enjoyed it.

Mason does have the papers though.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wonderful information, and great stories! Thank y’all for sharing,
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
GringoBombero
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by GringoBombero »

You guys are amazing. Yet again, AAPK has volumes of information more than google and it's all here in one convenient location. I'm a new collector, buyer and seller and finding info can often be difficult, if not, impossible. Threads like this is why setting up an online store here on AAPK was a no-brainer. The knowledge is here, the knives are here and the people who can truly appreciate a great knife are right here.
I will be listing my first Henckels very soon, and almost all of the info was found on AAPK!

Thank you everyone for your curiosity and willingness to share. If you have a question, odds are someone else has that same question.
This is what the internet was meant to be about! ::tu:: ::tu::
Goodnight Chesty Puller... wherever you are... ::pray::

Return to “Henckels”