Still unknown pattern!

For Collectors & Users of Henckels Brand Knives
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Still unknown pattern!

Post by Madmarco »

I received this Henckels today, and was doing some research on it. I found posts by "Outkast" and "ObsidianEdge" both of whom posted the same knife in 2018, but neither knew the pattern number and I still don't either! The closest I could come from a chart of blade stamps posted by John/Red Rider was, it's from 1898. What I do know about it is I like it! 8)
WIN_20230104_11_38_30_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230104_11_38_04_Pro.jpg
8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Still unknown pattern!

Post by kennedy knives »

Found this one with a corkscrew from 1930 Catalog. It states it's a Deer Foot Hunting Knife . I have a Henckels Catalog somewhere that may help will have to do some digging to find it ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_2586.JPG
IMG_2587.JPG
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Wow Thats a . beauty ::tu:: ::drool:: Congratulations
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Looked a little More the German's call it a Folding Hunter ::handshake::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you Gary for that valuable info! In the seller's description he also called it a folding hunter. I had posted yesterday in "Advise and opinions needed" that I'd found posts from 2 other members who both also own a copy of this knife, and in the post from "ObsidianEdge" he stated that he has a similar knife to one that "Outkast" showed in an above picture, but his has a corkscrew and he referred to it as a "Musterbuch", although, he was also talking about a certain catalogue so I'm unsure if the name was referring to the knife or the catalogue, it seemed unclear. ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

KleenCut61 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:31 am Wow Thats a . beauty ::tu:: ::drool:: Congratulations
Thanks KC61, ::handshake:: I appreciate that you appreciate my knife! 8)
8)
ea42

Post by ea42 »

That was the model 5261 made from the 1870's to the 1930's. There was also an identical model 5262 with a damascus blade. They were available both with and without a corkscrew. Not many of them around anymore in decent shape.

Eric
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for great information again Eric! Bill De had made mention of a model with a Damascus blade with gold etching, but no one knew the pattern or number, until now. So you're saying that my knife with a SS blade and no corkscrew is the model 5261, the one Bill described with a Damascus blade and gold etching is the model 5262, and an unposted model with a corkscrew and either steel blade is also a 5262, yes? 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

:shock: Cool find Madmarco! ::tu:: Looks like it's in very good condition too! ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks a bunch Tom! ::handshake:: After posting mine I went looking for others and found 2 more. The first copy from "Outkast" looked in brand new condition, and the one from "ObsidianEdge" appeared similar to mine. I'd asked for some cleaning advise, and when I followed it just now my knife spruced right up. I'll post new pictures in "Advise and opinions needed" from the Restoration forum shortly, but I don't know how well the cleaning will show cuz I still had to use my lousy laptop camera. We'll see! 8)
8)
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:06 pm Thanks for great information again Eric! Bill De had made mention of a model with a Damascus blade with gold etching, but no one knew the pattern or number, until now. So you're saying that my knife with a SS blade and no corkscrew is the model 5261, the one Bill described with a Damascus blade and gold etching is the model 5262, and an unposted model with a corkscrew and either steel blade is also a 5262, yes? 8)
As far as I know none of them were made with stainless steel blades. They were either damascus or carbon steel.

Model 5261 - carbon steel blade, with or without corkscrew circa 1870ish to the 1930's.

Model 5262 - damascus blade with etch and gold leaf, with or without corkscrew circa 1900 to 1920

Here's a pic of a damascus knife. The gold leaf was very thin so most survivors show most of it worn off:

Henckels Damascus Folding Hunter.jpg
Eric
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Eric you are the best man, thank you so much. There's also an ongoing discussion about all this in the "Restoration and repair" forum under the topic "Advise and opinions needed" if you'd care to join in over there. If you know how to do it, would you kindly shift your pictures over there as well, I'm really PC illiterate otherwise I'd do it myself. If not, no problem! Thx! 8)
8)

Return to “Henckels”