Why we should support the members store.

This forum is for member store related discussion. You can ask questions, report bugs, make suggestions, view tips, tricks & instructions & more.
cudgee

Why we should support the members store.

Post by cudgee »

Just wanted to make a comment. I just saw a knife on Ebay, not an auction or make an offer, a set price. The very same knife, 3 in fact, from different sellers on the members store is selling at between 30-38% cheaper then the one of Ebay. That is a big difference, especially as many have commented prices seem to have risen some what. That is why we should try and support the people supporting us if we can. And there endeth the weeks lesson. :D
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Why we should support the members store.

Post by dlr110 »

I agree 100% and recently I have bought several knives from our folks on AAPK. I trust them much more than someone on eBay and I'm reasonably sure our members know much more about knives than 90% of those selling on eBay. Thanks for starting this thread cudgee. ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:13 am I agree 100% and recently I have bought several knives from our folks on AAPK. I trust them much more than someone on eBay and I'm reasonably sure our members know much more about knives than 90% of those selling on eBay. Thanks for starting this thread cudgee. ::tu::
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :wink:
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

It's been my experience, that most store owners are more knowledgeable, than the average Ebay seller and put knives, in good condition, for sale, in their stores. I've not received a bad knife from a store. I can't say that about the bay ::facepalm::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Doc B wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:45 am It's been my experience, that most store owners are more knowledgeable, than the average Ebay seller and put knives, in good condition, for sale, in their stores. I've not received a bad knife from a store. I can't say that about the bay ::facepalm::
Very true!
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Here, you've usually got fellow collectors, many of them even experts in the brand they collect. On eBay, it's mostly people dealing in estates; and buying crates of knives from the TSA. I've had lots of "good condition great snap no wobble" end up being "awful condition, no snap, extreme wobble, so useless it's gotta go in the parts box". And even a lot of the sellers of new knives just dropship through Blue Ridge; and are completely clueless about the stock they're supposed to have. I've been stocking up on some leftover parts to rebuild a few Schrades; and if I wanted something specific (for example, one of the tool handles from the ST-5E; and I needed a Craftsman variant, which was the older version of the tool); it's too often "we don't actually stock it" or "file a warranty claim". Which made no sense to me. And, regardless of where the location is supposed to be, a lot of those knives I buy all have a Marion mailing address, which is where Blue Ridge is (which makes me sort of wonder if they have a physical storefront too--I've been in Marion a couple times).

I've been buying more and more from here. A lot of really good deals as well. I recently got a hardly-used Benchmade Bone Collector Mini for less than $60.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Agree with you in that Cudgee. After many years of accumulating, have recently focused on collecting ,so am looking for specific things, which as we know, can be difficult . When purchasing now it is strictly thru AAPK stores and members. Ebay has its place but not for me, the little I can spend each month would rather stay here to spend. And have never been disappointed, in fact in all the trading or purchases made this year, have gotten more than expected and even a extra knife now and then.Some of the store owners have even gone out of there way to help find a certain piece. Last night just closed a deal on 4 older Camillus knives, and the member was very gracious and knowledgeable.
Thanks for this post , glad you brought it up.
Take care out there.
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

It was something that just jogged my memory. When i was browsing on Ebay and saw the said knive i recognized it as one that i had seen in members stores on AAPK, i was not looking for it, just browsing and it got me thinking. I remembered a thread about how members thought that prices had risen during this year and maybe it was due to people being in lockdown and more people searching for the same stock driving up the prices. And i had a light bulb moment, and believe me i don't get many of those. ::mdm:: It has been a tough year for everyone, we all know that, when i was growing up it was different, the people of the community/village, call it whatever you like, all looked out for one another, and pitched in to help in difficult times, and just thought we should be doing that here, and supporting the members store owners, many who may be doing it tough, that is all. ::handshake::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I have probably bought a dozen knives this year from AAPK stores/members, more than happy with each acquisition. I too am trying to move from accumulating to collecting and any antique knife will probably be purchased from an AAPK member.

I also dabble in the auction house arena, mainly because of price. You never know what you're going to get there so the price has to be right for me or I pass at those auctions, even if it's a knife I'd like to add to my collection. Usually the pictures and descriptions have much to be desired and are even misleading.

On the newer side, I did purchase a Hinderer XM-18 earlier this year from an AAPK store and I still love to EDC that knife. But member stores are a great place to find specific old knives that you know will be quality and not junk. You won't get that assurance anywhere else in my opinion, especially on eBay. As stated, most eBay sellers are looking to move product and know little about what they are selling. And then there are the ridiculously priced eBay sellers who really just want to show what they have rather than sell.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:02 pm I have probably bought a dozen knives this year from AAPK stores/members, more than happy with each acquisition. I too am trying to move from accumulating to collecting and any antique knife will probably be purchased from an AAPK member.

I also dabble in the auction house arena, mainly because of price. You never know what you're going to get there so the price has to be right for me or I pass at those auctions, even if it's a knife I'd like to add to my collection. Usually the pictures and descriptions have much to be desired and are even misleading.

On the newer side, I did purchase a Hinderer XM-18 earlier this year from an AAPK store and I still love to EDC that knife. But member stores are a great place to find specific old knives that you know will be quality and not junk. You won't get that assurance anywhere else in my opinion, especially on eBay. As stated, most eBay sellers are looking to move product and know little about what they are selling. And then there are the ridiculously priced eBay sellers who really just want to show what they have rather than sell.
Also one thing that i have noticed, and is very relevant to every ones comments. With the AAPK members stores, if you have a question or any relevant information concerning the particular knife you are looking at, if you shoot them off an email, if they don't answer straight away, they will ASAP. Ebay sellers are very hit and miss about returning messages, which is just down right disrespectful in my opinion, now if i don't get a sent message answered, i don't purchase or have any thing to do with that seller ever again. This has never happened to me here. ::nod::
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

I recently bought my first knife from a member's store. A 6292 Case USA era and I was surprise that it was truly mint and this was not mentioned in the description. I found the same pattern on ebay for an additional 50.00. I've had a lot of bad experiences dealing with sellers and buyers on ebay. I've just about learned my lesson. Thanks cudgee for giving me the opportunity to post this reply. jwwood
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I support the stores here as much as possible. The one thing that bothers me though, is that with the many newcomers that have opened stores here recently, came with it copious amounts of greed in my opinion.

I've seen knives sell here for way more than they would through normal chains of supply, and I mean sometimes close to 3X what I would see at KSF, Gunstock Jacks, or DLT Trading.

I know at least one member here selling knives for a good profit, but I also know he's providing assistance to a friend with that money. I can't speak for anyone else.

I know that sellers need to make a profit to continue providing services to everyone else, and they have a lot of money tied up in these knives until they're sold, but if it were that bad, all sellers would be charging outrageous prices for their knives and that's simply not the case.

Even though I don't own a store here, I can surely understand the difference between selling for a profit, and charging outrageous prices because of greed.

But I guess I'm like anyone else. If it's a good knife at a fair price, I'll buy it. If it ain't, I won't. JMHO.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

XX Case XX wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:14 pm I support the stores here as much as possible. The one thing that bothers me though, is that with the many newcomers that have opened stores here recently, came with it copious amounts of greed in my opinion.

I've seen knives sell here for way more than they would through normal chains of supply, and I mean sometimes close to 3X what I would see at KSF, Gunstock Jacks, or DLT Trading.

I know at least one member here selling knives for a good profit, but I also know he's providing assistance to a friend with that money. I can't speak for anyone else.

I know that sellers need to make a profit to continue providing services to everyone else, and they have a lot of money tied up in these knives until they're sold, but if it were that bad, all sellers would be charging outrageous prices for their knives and that's simply not the case.

Even though I don't own a store here, I can surely understand the difference between selling for a profit, and charging outrageous prices because of greed.

But I guess I'm like anyone else. If it's a good knife at a fair price, I'll buy it. If it ain't, I won't. JMHO.

Mike, that is a very good comment and attitude. In the members store, you can find something that you may like, you can ask the seller any questions you may have and they will get back to you. You can look around to see if you can find a similar knife and what it is going for, and this for me is a big tick, you can browse and take your time to make a decision. There is no haste for fear of missing out, and this is the big bonus, if it is a fair price and you want it, it's yours and your decision, it all comes back to supply and demand. Have a good week.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Very well stated gents ::nod:: . I don't think I need to add anything, my feelings as a buyer/seller have been very laid out by you guys.
::tu:: ::handshake::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

WillyCamaro wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:45 am Very well stated gents ::nod:: . I don't think I need to add anything, my feelings as a buyer/seller have been very laid out by you guys.
::tu:: ::handshake::
It's good to have the voice of reason at the table. :D :D ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

As a Store owner I would like to thank all that posted here. ::ds:: Wish more felt the way you all do :D . A Great place to sell your knives' :D and meet people you wouldn't have every meet at a local show and for sure not on Ebay (which I want sell on) . Just think of all the free knowledge you get on this site . ::handshake::
Thanks again for the support .
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

quote="kennedy knives" post_id=854740 time=1602003121 user_id=11586]
As a Store owner I would like to thank all that posted here. ::ds:: Wish more felt the way you all do :D . A Great place to sell your knives' :D and meet people you wouldn't have every meet at a local show and for sure not on Ebay (which I want sell on) . Just think of all the free knowledge you get on this site . ::handshake::
Thanks again for the support .
[/quote]
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Leesknives

Post by Leesknives »

As a Store owner here on AAPK. I want to thank everyone who has bought from me. If you see something in my store I will try and work with
you if I can. After 20 years I don't sell on Ebay anymore, because of all the BS with them. Thanks again Lee's Knives
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: . Have a good and safe Easter. ::handshake::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

One thing I don't like about accessing this website using my phone is the fact I don't get those member store knives scrolling across the top of my screen.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Leesknives wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:11 am As a Store owner here on AAPK. I want to thank everyone who has bought from me. If you see something in my store I will try and work with
you if I can. After 20 years I don't sell on Ebay anymore, because of all the BS with them. Thanks again Lee's Knives
You’re welcome. I have nothing but great things to say about the purchases I’ve made from AAPK member stores, yours included. I don’t buy nearly as many knives now as I used to, but every transaction I have had here was a pleasant experience. I am glad y’all are here today, but wish AAPK and its stores had been around 20+ years ago. ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Teriffic topic cudgee, and great comments too, so much so I felt I had to add my $.02! I've been a member here for about 10 months, and in that time I've purchased from 3 different sellers, Mark at SSk, Matt at Sanders Knives, and Brent at Luvstag, as well as getting some very informed information and advise from Gary at Kennedy Knives, and although we couldn't strike a deal he was more than happy to try to help. Mark has sold me knives from his store stock, and, bid on and won knives from Ebay, due to the seller not shipping to Canada, and, me not having the necessary monies readily available. For the one's from Ebay Mark used his own money to buy them, and then held them for me until I had the funds to purchase, and when the time came to buy he only charged me a very minimal mark-up. This means, he tied-up his own money that could have been in the bank collecting interest! Now I ask you, WHO DOES THAT? Certainly NOT Ebay! I've purchased about 25 pieces so far from Mark, with 3 more yet to come, and for each and every transaction he wasn't happy until he was absolutely sure I was happy with my knives, going as far as to tell me if I wasn't happy with ANY of them he would take them back, but that has never happened because he only deals with quality knives. Mark has also done research to help find me the best shipping rates, when he easily could have just said, "this is the shipping charge, period"! Customer Service like this is quickly fading into obscurity, and I feel very fortunate to have experienced it. Matt and Brent both did the same thing for me, held knives until I had the money to pay, when they could have just as easily told me "NO" and possibly made the sales far sooner, but they both were happy to accommodate me, and neither knew me from Adam. Prior to coming to AAPK I made most of my knife purchases from Amazon, because I've only been using Ebay for about as long as I've been here, and not once have I received the same level of C/S as I have here. If these reasons aren't enough to support our sellers, then I don't know what is! So, thank you guys, for proving this is the greatest site on the internet! 8)
8)
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

So, so nice to hear 99.9% positive comments about the AAPK stores...
I had my store (Clear Creek Knives) on AAPK for 13 1/2 years...there was Bryan's
store, 3 others , then mine, so 4th store started on AAPK....
It Changed My Life !!! As did being a member of this group !!!
That was the only way Bryan had any money coming in back in the day,
Everything was out of his pocket !!!
I and several others put up a knife for auction at one point so Bryan could keep everything going
We ALL owe much to that man, and one hell of a man he is !!!
I met so many other good folk's thru them years, a true blessing it was...
just kinda lost interest after my wife of 50 years died 3 1/2 years ago as she was 50% of the store.
I just counted and we now have 160 AAPK stores !!!
How great is that for Bryan to have good tiding's coming back his way !!!
Any knife or work on a knife I ever had done here on AAPK was a very positive deal...
I hope all members at some point read all your comments so AAPK does nothing but grow bigger & stronger !!!

Stag

Return to “AAPK Member Store Forums”