Store Listing opinion what do you think is fair

This forum is for member store related discussion. You can ask questions, report bugs, make suggestions, view tips, tricks & instructions & more.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Store Listing opinion what do you think is fair

Post by kennedy knives »

Looking for input . I know we all want our knives to have the best exposer possible :D but do you think it's fair that some relist the same knife over & over if it gets bump to the 2nd page .
I don't think it fair to Bryan and accounting to have to deal with this just my opinion.
I let my knives run there course good or bad. That's what I think all dealers should do . ::dang::

I was taught not to break in line in school and treat everyone like I would like to be treated .
I would hope we are here to sell knives and help make AAPK a premiere site ::handshake::

Gary Kennedy
Kennedy's Knives
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Store Listing opinion what do you think is fair

Post by Jeffinn »

kennedy knives wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:49 pm I know we all want our knives to have the best exposer possible :D but do you think it's unfair that some relist the same knife over & over if it gets bump to the 2nd page.
Yes, it’s unfair. Like you, I let my knives run their course.
I do list in the “Knives for Sale” section of the forum after I post a new knife to my website which helps get people to my website. Other than that, I let them ride.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I was wondering why I kept seeing the same knives in the listings. ::shrug::
Tim
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I'm confused. Are you talking about knives for sale in the store section "Ticker Tape" or knives for sale by individuals in the "Knives for Sale/Trade" section?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

I'm not sure the ones of us that don't have a store understand how the stores operate. What does let them run their course mean? I have certain stores that I follow and the OP is one of them.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I believe he’s referring to the picture “scroll” that runs across the top of the page. When a new knife is posted in a member store it runs in that scroll for a while (“run their course”), but I don’t know the rules regarding timeframe, number of knives allowed per member store, etc. Based on the OP, I guess some store owners have figured out how to “game the system” by re-listing a knife, thereby re-introducing it into the scroll queue. Over and over again, and in turn bumping other knives out of the queue.

I don’t pay a lot of attention to it myself. Personally if I want to buy something I go to the member store search and see if a member has one for sale. I’ve gotten so I seldom buy anything without checking there first.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

When a store owner posts knives for sale in their AAPK store, two of the knives will appear on the crawl at the top of the page. I think currently the crawl holds a total of 15 knives at any given time. Those two knives remain on the crawl until they sell or until the other store owners post enough new knife listings to bump those two knives off the crawl. It's pretty much common knowledge among the store owners that having knives floating across the top of the page increases "traffic" in their store and stimulates sales, even on knives listed in the store but not showing up on the crawl. I've seen a couple of owners try to game the system by deleting and then relisting the same knives more than once to get them back on the crawl, and to be honest I didn't like it when it happened. On the other hand, if a store owner has multiple knives that look the same, it could look like they're gaming the system even though they are not, because they are posting multiple knives that look alike.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

philco wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:34 pm When a store owner posts knives for sale in their AAPK store, two of the knives will appear on the crawl at the top of the page. I think currently the crawl holds a total of 15 knives at any given time. Those two knives remain on the crawl until they sell or until the other store owners post enough new knife listings to bump those two knives off the crawl. It's pretty much common knowledge among the store owners that having knives floating across the top of the page increases "traffic" in their store and stimulates sales, even on knives listed in the store but not showing up on the crawl. I've seen a couple of owners try to game the system by deleting and then relisting the same knives more than once to get them back on the crawl, and to be honest I didn't like it when it happened. On the other hand, if a store owner has multiple knives that look the same, it could look like they're gaming the system even though they are not, because they are posting multiple knives that look alike.
I think if you have multiple knives that look the same that would be a separate listing but when there the same knife and you take it off and relist it to get more exposer I don't think that is fair . If you have multiple Knives of the same kind you can add them in your listing . Doesn't look like anyone looks to much at the Knives for sell in the store so it probably doesn't matter. if you respect other dealers why would you do this???? . I think there is 33 knives on a page in the Store section when someone list a knife it is invoice Number that I think Bryan uses for billing & Sales so store owner can ship & ETC . I guess my point is useless if there isn't any honor in this. Then I can relist my knives and take advantage of getting my Knives out front . Which I would not do . Takes me to long to do this . and with 500 on the site why bother.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thankfully my AAPK store never had to put food on my table but if it did, I’d be looking for avenues to increase exposure and traffic which is why I look the other way when I see that practice.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

XX Case XX wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:30 pm I'm confused. Are you talking about knives for sale in the store section "Ticker Tape" or knives for sale by individuals in the "Knives for Sale/Trade" section?

Mike I know my Type skills need help. I am talking about a dealer list knives one day and then after it get's bump to the 2nd page on the store site they remove them and relist . I wouldn't go through the trouble. I would let my listing run and I do . Sure if your selling you want to get your knives viewed the most . Just don't think that was the way it's suppose to work . But if ever one is ok with that so be it ::facepalm::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

bestgear wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:24 pm Thankfully my AAPK store never had to put food on my table but if it did, I’d be looking for avenues to increase exposure and traffic which is why I look the other way when I see that practice.
Bestgear my AAPK store is the same as you doesn't put food on my table either . Maybe sorry for bring this up and God will punish me but I was raised to respect other people and call you out if you are wrong just as I would want you to call me out if I'm wrong . I've never learned to look the other way . My wife tells every one if you don't want to hear the answer don't ask him.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

kennedy knives wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:29 pm I am talking about a dealer list knives one day and then after it get's bump to the 2nd page on the store site they remove them and relist .
Okay, I get it now. Re-listing the same knife several times so it's on the ticker tape in order to gain maximum exposure, thereby "bumping" or "erasing" another members knives.

I don't think that's fair. I would hope that store owners here would police themselves so it doesn't happen. That apparently, is not the case because we're now discussing it, which means it does happen.

I'm with Gary on this one. Not cool.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Jeffinn wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:05 pm Yes, it’s unfair. Like you, I let my knives run their course.
I do list in the “Knives for Sale” section of the forum after I post a new knife to my website which helps get people to my website. Other than that, I let them ride.
Jeff
I think it's unfair too but I like this approach. I don't have a store but this method seems very practical. It's beneficial to the store owner yet not offensive to anyone. Brilliant!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Wow! ::facepalm::
More important things in life.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Bryan has chosen not to charge a premium for website real estate that normally is a big money maker on other sites. I suspect his benevolence comes from the hobby basis of AAPK vs. pure Capitalism but I’m sure Bryan has his limits of acceptable “traffic generation” behavior. A few bad apples could spoil the whole bushel. I’d recommend reporting any inappropriate behavior to Bryan who has a strong track record of resolving issues like this quickly.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Just wanted to chime in on this. I am of the opinion AAPK should intervene & disallow this practice & I've been mulling a few ideas that I think could help. I plan to start with a light handed approach, but will get increasingly heavy handed if the first few efforts to curtail the practice fail.
Bryan

Return to “AAPK Member Store Forums”