Shipping to Canada

This forum is for member store related discussion. You can ask questions, report bugs, make suggestions, view tips, tricks & instructions & more.
ozzie marie

Shipping to Canada

Post by ozzie marie »

I don't normally sell Internationally but at times have. I just received a request from a customer from Canada that would like a few of my knives. I agreed to the sale but requested funds be sent PayPal Friends and Family so I don't have the liability for the knives getting lost during shipping. The customer is telling me that PayPal Friends and Family is not available from Canada.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated ::tu::

Keith
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Shipping to Canada

Post by kennedy knives »

ozzie marie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:44 pm I don't normally sell Internationally but at times have. I just received a request from a customer from Canada that would like a few of my knives. I agreed to the sale but requested funds be sent PayPal Friends and Family so I don't have the liability for the knives getting lost during shipping. The customer is telling me that PayPal Friends and Family is not available from Canada.

Keith
Not to call him a lair but I have customers from Canada that pay with Pay-Pal Friends & Family ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I do also.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

As others have stated Pay Pal 'Friends & Family' is available in Canada exactly the same as it is in USA.
As long as there are no auto or flickable knives they will go through Canada Customs successfully although it can take 2-3 weeks to get passed on to Canada Post for delivery. However sometimes a parcel will 'sail through' Canada Customs in a matter of days and delivery is relatively quick.
The only problem with shipping from USA to Canada is the delay in Canada Customs can mean it takes 3-4 weeks to arrive and many buyers get upset. Buyers need to be made aware that it may take up to 4 weeks for their parcel to arrive before they purchase.
kj
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

If he does not want to you payPal here are some alternatives the two
of you can agree on.

https://hostingcanada.org/paypal-alternatives/

Bob
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I back up what Roland says. PP is exactly the same up here in Canada, as is it on your side of the border.

The best invoicing/payment/financial service for us business owners, is Wave. It's the all-in-one suite, for dirt cheap. :D
https://www.waveapps.com

Agree Gary, something smells fishy in rome...
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

ozzie marie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:44 pm I don't normally sell Internationally but at times have. I just received a request from a customer from Canada that would like a few of my knives. I agreed to the sale but requested funds be sent PayPal Friends and Family so I don't have the liability for the knives getting lost during shipping. The customer is telling me that PayPal Friends and Family is not available from Canada.

Keith
This was perhaps an embarrassed customer Keith who doesn't currently use PayPal, and is fearful of setting up a P/P account. Maybe they read some of the info out there that's negative about P/P, and simply doesn't want to use them, or, doesn't like the idea of linking their credit card or bank account to P/P, or, they're totally computer illiterate, like me, and the signing up for an account seems like a daunting process. I'm in Canada and I use the "Friends and Family" to the US option once a month quite successfully, and instantly, so their statement is definitely not correct, but I do remember when I set-up my P/P account it seemed very complicated. 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I cannot purchase from overseas anymore using paypal if there is a separate invoice involved. If i can purchase from a website that the knife and postage are all in the total okay, but if i am issued a separate invoice once postage is worked out, no can do. This has made it virtually impossible for me to purchase knives anymore. Was never like this before, and neither i or any sellers i have tried to purchase from can get an answer from paypal. I suspect they have their reasons, but i will keep that to myself.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:16 pm I cannot purchase from overseas anymore using paypal if there is a separate invoice involved. If i can purchase from a website that the knife and postage are all in the total okay, but if i am issued a separate invoice once postage is worked out, no can do. This has made it virtually impossible for me to purchase knives anymore. Was never like this before, and neither i or any sellers i have tried to purchase from can get an answer from paypal. I suspect they have their reasons, but i will keep that to myself.
I wasn’t aware of this issue with PayPal. I will check into this and see what is up. I include shipping in the price of my knives. I don’t separate out the shipping. I do this because of taxes. I can deduct the entire amount paid on shipping done this way. If a seller charges a separate fee for shipping, then there could be a profit that needs reported on shipping charges. If I charge 5 for shipping and it only costs me 4.63, that 37 cents is a profit that should be reported for taxes. If you do enough volume, it adds up over the years.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
ataleph

Post by ataleph »

Hi guys,

Can someone please explain to a Canadian guy how he can pay through Paypal using "Family and friends" if this option does not show up?
Below I show screen to screen ALL 3 steps (omitting personal details of the seller and myself of course). Clicking "Send Payment Now" on the last screen will trigger the actual money transfer through a "goods and Services" method. Where exactly in this process does "Family and friends" show up?

Thanks
Attachments
screen 1.jpg
screen 2.jpg
screen 3.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

ataleph wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:44 pm Hi guys,

Can someone please explain to a Canadian guy how he can pay through Paypal using "Family and friends" if this option does not show up?
Below I show screen to screen ALL 3 steps (omitting personal details of the seller and myself of course). Clicking "Send Payment Now" on the last screen will trigger the actual money transfer through a "goods and Services" method. Where exactly in this process does "Family and friends" show up?

Thanks
Ataleph! My name is Mark, and I'm in Winnipeg too, and I use the "Friends and Family" option once a month for the last 4 or 5 months, so I'll try to help you with this issue. Rather than display your laundry out in the open, I'll send you a "Private Message", and you can access that message by clicking-on the Private Message link up beside your user name, Notifications, and Gallery links found close to the top right of the page. It'll be titled "To Ataleph", so you'll know it's me. Give me a few minutes to compose the message! 8)
8)
ataleph

Post by ataleph »

Mark,
I have sent a reply to you privately. Can you see it?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

ataleph wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:35 pm Mark,
I have sent a reply to you privately. Can you see it?
Yes, I see it A.! Just about to read it now! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

There is a American knife retailer who has done the double flip. They have banned Pay Pal, it makes for interesting reading. If you're interested- GPKNIVES.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

cudgee wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:00 am There is a American knife retailer who has done the double flip. They have banned Ebay, it makes for interesting reading. If you're interested- GPKNIVES.
I just went to the site cudgee, and I read about them banning PayPal, but don't know what you mean about them banning Ebay. They sell their own stuff, where would Ebay fit in to their sales? Thanks! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:15 am
cudgee wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:00 am There is a American knife retailer who has done the double flip. They have banned Ebay, it makes for interesting reading. If you're interested- GPKNIVES.
I just went to the site cudgee, and I read about them banning PayPal, but don't know what you mean about them banning Ebay. They sell their own stuff, where would Ebay fit in to their sales? Thanks! 8)
Sorry my friend, had a serious Seniors Moment ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: and you are most correct, i meant to say Pay Pal. I have stated in a previous post my problems with them. Mea Culpa Mea Culpa Mea Maxima Cupla. ::handshake::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

cudgee wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:38 am
Sorry my friend, had a serious Seniors Moment ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: and you are most correct, i meant to say Pay Pal. I have stated in a previous post my problems with them. Mea Culpa Mea Culpa Mea Maxima Cupla. ::handshake::
No problem buddy, ::handshake:: I have those moments more times than I care to admit! ::facepalm:: Could you please provide a link to your previous post regarding the trouble, or even just the name of the thread, I'd like to read about it? Thanks! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:11 pm
No problem buddy, ::handshake:: I have those moments more times than I care to admit! ::facepalm:: Could you please provide a link to your previous post regarding the trouble, or even just the name of the thread, I'd like to read about it? Thanks! 8)
I'll just tell you now mate. ::tu:: I have been buying knives from overseas for a while now, it is my only option for variety we just don't have the retail outlets for Traditionals over here, and they only have a small selection and are expensive, sometimes a lot more than buying them in myself. Never had a problem with postage, delivery, customs or anything else. That has all changed, Pay Pal won't except my payment now if a separate invoice has to be issued, they just say cannot except payment from your region unless you are a member, i always previously payed as a guest. So i was forced to sign up as a member, not something that i wanted to do, but was forced into it if i wanted to buy a knife that i wanted. But after signing up and giving a lot of personal details still had the same issue. I contacted them, not by phone because you can't, not by email because you can't, but by their chat over the computer method. A nightmare, after 3 days, no answer to my problem and nothing was resolved, i contacted 3 of the sellers that i deal with and informed them of the problem. One of them had 4 knives packaged ready to be posted on completion of my payment, they all contacted Pay Pal, and they all got the same result-NOTHING, no satisfactory answer to their enquiries and no answer to why Pay Pal all of a sudden were costing them business. But the stupid irony of the issue is, if i buy from a website that has the cost of the item and postage or extra charges on the one invoice on the website, no problem, it only occurs when a separate invoice has to be issued, usually after working out postage, or in one case the retailer gives me a discount because i have been a loyal customer. It is just so ridiculous it is not funny, but it has stopped me from buying a few knives that i really wanted, especially in the 4 that were packaged ready to be sent. So can you see my frustration, i have my own views to why it is happening, but i don't want to express them on an open forum, might cause to much angst. You have a good weekend mate, and take care over there, you are all going through difficult times. :D ::handshake::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

cudgee wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 pm

I'll just tell you now mate. ::tu:: I have been buying knives from overseas for a while now, it is my only option for variety we just don't have the retail outlets for Traditionals over here, and they only have a small selection and are expensive, sometimes a lot more than buying them in myself. Never had a problem with postage, delivery, customs or anything else. That has all changed, Pay Pal won't except my payment now if a separate invoice has to be issued, they just say cannot except payment from your region unless you are a member, i always previously payed as a guest. So i was forced to sign up as a member, not something that i wanted to do, but was forced into it if i wanted to buy a knife that i wanted. But after signing up and giving a lot of personal details still had the same issue. I contacted them, not by phone because you can't, not by email because you can't, but by their chat over the computer method. A nightmare, after 3 days, no answer to my problem and nothing was resolved, i contacted 3 of the sellers that i deal with and informed them of the problem. One of them had 4 knives packaged ready to be posted on completion of my payment, they all contacted Pay Pal, and they all got the same result-NOTHING, no satisfactory answer to their enquiries and no answer to why Pay Pal all of a sudden were costing them business. But the stupid irony of the issue is, if i buy from a website that has the cost of the item and postage or extra charges on the one invoice on the website, no problem, it only occurs when a separate invoice has to be issued, usually after working out postage, or in one case the retailer gives me a discount because i have been a loyal customer. It is just so ridiculous it is not funny, but it has stopped me from buying a few knives that i really wanted, especially in the 4 that were packaged ready to be sent. So can you see my frustration, i have my own views to why it is happening, but i don't want to express them on an open forum, might cause to much angst. You have a good weekend mate, and take care over there, you are all going through difficult times. :D ::handshake::
Thanks cudgee! ::handshake:: I never, ever wanted to use Paypal, and didn't until I was forced to for an ebay purchase, but I make purchases from a seller here, and P/P was the method that is the best for these purchases, but as soon as I'm finished with my upcoming purchases, P/P will be in my rear-view mirror! I know exactly your frustration with their "Contact Us" system, it's totally ridiculous and useless to boot. I have a question for you! Being where you are, did you ever order autos from Roadsideimports, and if so, do you know what happened to them? ::shrug:: All 4 of his sites are shut-down, and no explanation was posted. ::shrug:: You have a great weekend as well, and stay safe! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:25 pm
cudgee wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 pm
Thanks cudgee! ::handshake:: I never, ever wanted to use Paypal, and didn't until I was forced to for an ebay purchase, but I make purchases from a seller here, and P/P was the method that is the best for these purchases, but as soon as I'm finished with my upcoming purchases, P/P will be in my rear-view mirror! I know exactly your frustration with their "Contact Us" system, it's totally ridiculous and useless to boot. I have a question for you! Being where you are, did you ever order autos from Roadsideimports, and if so, do you know what happened to them? ::shrug:: All 4 of his sites are shut-down, and no explanation was posted. ::shrug:: You have a great weekend as well, and stay safe! 8)
Never heard of Roadsideimports, so i cannot help you there my friend. ::shrug:: ::hmm:: :)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

O.K. thanks! 8) He had a lot of Aussie customers, so I just thought you might have been one of them! 8)
8)

Return to “AAPK Member Store Forums”