Parker Cut Co. Trapper 2

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TuckersDad

Parker Cut Co. Trapper 2

Post by TuckersDad »

9F540DCE-F2F8-44EA-AC3E-BA6FB96656E9.jpeg
Just purchased this Trapper 2 from local resale shop.
Was wondering about Parker Cut Co? Is that better than Parker-frost, and the plain frost knives? I assumed they were same family. I live pretty close to Chattanooga where I think they are made. Just thought it was a cool little knife. I guess I was just looking for opinions on this brand and knife. Thanks guys
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Parker Cut Co. Trapper 2

Post by doglegg »

Can't help with Parker history but that is a cool little knife. Looks for sure like a good pocket rider. Are the scales bone? ::nod::
TuckersDad

Post by TuckersDad »

I believe they are. I paid 18$ for it. It’s in real nice condition. I had to scoop it up
Split

Post by Split »

.. HELLO Neighbor ,, also on the north side of Chattanooga in Lake-Site.. Just traded for this nice cond white pearl handle TRAPPER 2 last night...
This model / size also had a etch blade with SODDY - DAISY .TWO TOWNS.. . Also PARKER made the 1981 Space Shuttle shape Columba knife I would like to find. ?.. I read they did volume models to keep business going and used Japan blades early, but built in Chatt.... FROST was also a local buddy at gun shows. ? Cleveland has a present store Cutlury and assume in the 48th year ... I would like to find their 40th Anniversary model .? Larry
Attachments
ParkerTrapper2.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

James Parker was involved in knife dealing from the late 1960s (maybe earlier) and was an early proponent of the National Knife Collector and Dealers Association (NKCDA). The name was subsequently shortened to the National Knife Collector’s Association (NKCA).

Parker did many things to promote the hobby of knife collecting. He was a “wheeler-dealer” and somewhat controversial figure, beloved by many but also has his detractors. In the 1970s he operated a service selling collectable knives of all brands from his home by mail order. Parker began having knives made in Japan with his Parker brand stamped on the tang, which he also sold via his mail order lists in the pre-internet days (the knives became available through SMKW at some point - his brother was part owner at the time). He subsequently owned a knife factory in Alabama (today’s Bear & Sons factory), and briefly owned W. R. Case & Sons until he went bankrupt and was forced to sell it.

Jim Frost was likewise a knife dealer and operated his own mail order knife sales business, very similar to Parker’s. Eventually they became partners and knives were made and sold under the Parker-Frost stamp. At some point the partnership was dissolved and each went their separate ways.

One thing they had in common was never missing a chance to make a buck.

Hope that’s helpful. I was a customer of both Parker and Frost and still have knives purchased from them, as well as copies of their old mail order lists. I knew Jim Parker but don’t recall ever personally meeting Jim Frost. Those are my memories at least - some others may have something to add.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”