William H. Maher and Emil Grosh started the Maher & Grosh Wholesale Cutlery Co. in 1877 with a goal to sell high quality US manufactured cutlery globally. The original business dissolved in 1988, but the brand has since been resurrected.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 2019

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks guys.Mark,we go for all the bells and whistles on our offerings.
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my M&G "Texas $2 Ranger" knife. These pictures do not show the Appaloosa bone well. It is more attractive in person but looks a bit 'washed out' here. It is very attractive, more so than i had anticipated. A very fine knife in all regards right up to the sharp blade edges.
If any of these are left i suggest you seriously consider getting one. This run came as close to perfection as possible.
kj
Attachments
lucky june 7 2019 008.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 005.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 006.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 007.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Thanks for the endorsement Roland! :D
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

You are welcome Roger. I always try to report accurately to help other collectors who might be thinking of buying the same knife.
If anyone is giving a pass on this M&G Texas Ranger whittler, they will be missing out on an exceptionally fine knife. It is my honest opinion and i can't see that anyone could disagree.
kj
Edit to add pictures just taken that are a little better than my first attempt.
kj
Attachments
lucky june 7 2019 005.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 006.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 007.jpg
lucky june 7 2019 004.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

peanut740 wrote:We have been bouncing a couple different patterns around with Bill at GEC.They made so many small boys knives,it hasn't given them a lot of space for outside orders catching up for their dealers.We should know something in the not too distance future. ::tu::
I want to see Maher & Grosh order/offer some #86 $2 steel single blade knives in (smooth Honey bone , sawcut oily creek bone , & blueberry wavy peach-seed jigged bone ) Only BladeForums is offering a single blade #86. They sold out two months ago , before production. If you want to sell out faster , single blades are a must. I own 4 GEC knives with wavy peach-seed jigging. I'll buy any GEC knife with that wavy peach-seed jigging. I have one arm and I love that wavy feel in my hand.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What is a #86 pattern ? I cannot find it on the GEC website.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:What is a #86 pattern ? I cannot find it on the GEC website.
kj

Roland, it's an upcoming new pattern from GEC, it may be a jumbo jack, should be going into production soon, sure would make a stunning Maher&Grosh 2 blade jumble in ebony.
Attachments
861219.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you John. Usually a "Jumbo jack" would be about 4 1/2" or larger. I would call this one a "Regular jack".
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Thank you John. Usually a "Jumbo jack" would be about 4 1/2" or larger. I would call this one a "Regular jack".
kj
Roland, Levine has Jumbo's defined as 3 7/8" to 4 1/4" with corresponding width or girth if I remember right. This 3 3/4" Challenge and 3 7/8 Winchester are a good example of the difference, you can see how much heavier built the Winchester is. I heard a rumor that the new GEC 86 will be similar.
Attachments
IMG_9448.jpg
IMG_9446.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks John. Levine's book is amazing really. I have read and re-read it a great many times and yet there still is basic info that i have missed.
I had never read the details on page 179 where he calls a stout Sleeveboard Jack over 3 5/8" a "Jumbo Jack". All the other knives considered to be 'Jumbo' are much bigger.
But Levine says the Jumbo Jack is a Sleeveboard not a Regular Jack and the difference between these two is in the bolsters. A Sleeveboard ( and therefore Jumbo) has rounded bolsters whereas the Regular has 'corners' on the bolsters. Think of the old Queen Barlow for a good example of rounded bolsters.
The GEC #86 does not have rounded bolsters so it is a Regular Jack, not a Sleeveboard and therefore not a Jumbo.
I just learned a lot here by carefully re-reading page 179. Neat. Always more to learn.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Finally i have spent some time getting to know my M&G 3 blade "Texas Ranger" knife. It is basically the same knife as the GEC #29 "Stockyard Whittler" but with a long spey blade in place of the awl blade.
The potential problem with every folding knife with more than 1 blade is that the blade or blades not in use can project high enough above the liners to make a firm grip most uncomfortable. An awl blade is narrow spine to edge so always 'lies low' when closed. What is an accomplishment here is that the M&G spey blade lies just as low as the awl does in the Stockyard whittler. The other secondary is the same in both, a narrow sheepsfoot which also lies low. With the clip blade open it is totally comfortable in hand. With one of the secondaries open it is still comfortable. Many 3 blade knives fall far short of this in use comfort.
I have been using my Stockyard Whittler because i like having an awl blade. But many people say they have no use for an awl, so this M&G with a spey blade is perfect for these folks.
The fit everywhere is very precise. The 3 springs meet tightly such that you can only just make out that there are 3 parallel springs.
I think the Appaloosa bone is very attractive. This is a very fine knife. It DESERVES to be carried with you and used. The blades are already shaving sharp and there are half stops for all 3 blades.
It is not fair to let this fine workmanship, the result of much skill and effort, sit idle. Be fair to your M&G Texas Ranger and use it.
kj
Attachments
IMGP8634.JPG
IMGP8635.JPG
IMGP8638.JPG
IMGP8636.JPG
IMGP8639.JPG

Return to “Maher and Grosh”