William H. Maher and Emil Grosh started the Maher & Grosh Wholesale Cutlery Co. in 1877 with a goal to sell high quality US manufactured cutlery globally. The original business dissolved in 1988, but the brand has since been resurrected.
kootenay joe

Re: 2019

Post by kootenay joe »

Finally i have spent some time getting to know my M&G 3 blade "Texas Ranger" knife. It is basically the same knife as the GEC #29 "Stockyard Whittler" but with a long spey blade in place of the awl blade.
The potential problem with every folding knife with more than 1 blade is that the blade or blades not in use can project high enough above the liners to make a firm grip most uncomfortable. An awl blade is narrow spine to edge so always 'lies low' when closed. What is an accomplishment here is that the M&G spey blade lies just as low as the awl does in the Stockyard whittler. The other secondary is the same in both, a narrow sheepsfoot which also lies low. With the clip blade open it is totally comfortable in hand. With one of the secondaries open it is still comfortable. Many 3 blade knives fall far short of this in use comfort.
I have been using my Stockyard Whittler because i like having an awl blade. But many people say they have no use for an awl, so this M&G with a spey blade is perfect for these folks.
The fit everywhere is very precise. The 3 springs meet tightly such that you can only just make out that there are 3 parallel springs.
I think the Appaloosa bone is very attractive. This is a very fine knife. It DESERVES to be carried with you and used. The blades are already shaving sharp and there are half stops for all 3 blades.
It is not fair to let this fine workmanship, the result of much skill and effort, sit idle. Be fair to your M&G Texas Ranger and use it.
kj
Attachments
IMGP8634.JPG
IMGP8635.JPG
IMGP8638.JPG
IMGP8636.JPG
IMGP8639.JPG

Return to “Maher and Grosh”