Dating an older Marble's Fixed blade.

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Dating an older Marble's Fixed blade.

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Anyone know the model # and maybe the approximate year of production for this old Marble's ?
Attachments
DSCF6166.JPG
DSCF6167.JPG
DSCF6176.JPG
DSCF6179.JPG
DSCF6181.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Gunsil

Re: Dating an older Marble's Fixed blade.

Post by Gunsil »

You have a very worn Marbles "Woodcraft" and it is a rarer one made in 1915 with the patent pending mark. Yours is the only version with the cross hatch knurling on the spine of the blade, those made 1916 and on have milled grooves.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice stag on leather, GSP. Even though it's lost some of its belly there's still plenty of blade to get the job done. ::nod:: ::tu:: Any idea what caused that water mark? 🤔 It seems to be uniform on both sides.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

1967redrider wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:24 pm Nice stag on leather, GSP. Even though it's lost some of its belly there's still plenty of blade to get the job done. ::nod:: ::tu:: Any idea what caused that water mark? 🤔 It seems to be uniform on both sides.
Thanks! ::handshake:: I suspect that it was in a wet sheath and that caused the water mark. The leather has seen better days but for 107 years old it has held up pretty well. ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”