Please help date this

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
JoeJoe54

Please help date this

Post by JoeJoe54 »

Hello! New to this forum, but I just picked up this Marbles knife. It has the 3 line stamp without the USA, and also has the RJ Young stamp. I have the box as well but no identifying stickers or anything. Any help getting a rough date on it is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
96AC5B71-9225-4F7D-9E5C-C3E096F7720D.jpeg
7248DF81-A574-402B-A35F-A5ABA75879BD.jpeg
F92E0B35-BDC2-40AE-BE8C-A6E898BA35BE.jpeg
DE2B8D8C-D560-4D5D-B64F-D5469543CB14.jpeg
96D53E43-7C9E-4A33-B222-01D9B2D1C686.jpeg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Please help date this

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy, JoeJoe54! ::welcome:: to AAPK!
I can't help you very much with your knife but there are some folks here on the forum that will know.
What little I do know is the rings on the handle will help date the knife, I don't know the code but have seen them in print on the internet.
Also the pommels were made of different materials, the aluminum like yours in different configurations, some were made of stag.
Some Marbles knives were made for military use as well as a knife for outdoorsmen.
The Marbles tang stamp looks good and there were several different styles of stamps over the years.
The "R J YOUNG" stamp was most likely put on the knife by ol' RJ himself. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like an early 2000's Marble's made when the (Devine?) guy took over operations briefly. As treefarmer said, a previous owner stamped his name on it. ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John

p.s.- I have a pretty good sense of humor, some may think it's twisted a little. 😉 My first thought was, have you tried dinner and a movie? ::super_happy::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

RJ Young was a Marbles employee that customized and refurbished knives after his employment. This is a more modern knife that he assembled using his skill and parts from the factory. He passed away in 2016.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great info, Wayne. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

RJ sure ruined a lot of old Marbles knives. Many of his "restorations" removed a lot of steel just to make an old knife shiny and he put stag handles on knives that did not originally have them.

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”