Marbles Canoe?

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Marbles Canoe?

Post by knifegnome »

I was watching this Marbles knife on the bay, I am guessing this went so high($1481.00) because it is the Canoe pattern, is this correct? https://www.ebay.com/itm/255027252177?n ... 7675.l2557
Attachments
marblescanoe.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Marbles Canoe?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I didn’t realize that Marbles called a fixed blade a canoe, interesting.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

5/32" would be the blade thickness of a 4 1/2" Canoe.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Marbles had a pattern called a Canoe that was similar to the Ideal,I was told the differences were handle length (Canoe shorter) the guard was thicker on the Canoe.I have never had an Ideal and Canoe side by side to compare.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I was wondering about the high price this knife sold for too. Canoes had a wider ricasso than the Ideals of the same era but without an Ideal next to it or measurements it is hard to tell if this is one.
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Redrider , what is the blade thickness on the Ideal? I will have to measure mine tomorrow, riding out a small hurricane on the Florida West coast right now.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

knifegnome wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:59 am Redrider , what is the blade thickness on the Ideal? I will have to measure mine tomorrow, riding out a small hurricane on the Florida West coast right now.

I have some Ideals that are 6/32" (3/16) and some that are 7/32", which Dunathan explains in his book. Also, the thicker guard is not on the Marble's Rollercoaster stamped fixed blade he has pictured in his book, so I don't think a thick guard is an indicator on the newer Canoes.

I happen to have an Ideal with a 5/32" thick blade but the blade shape is not correct for a Canoe and it has the full sized guard. It has the Rollercoaster stamp.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”