DATING 1997-2002 MARBLE'S KNIVES-SEWART/LAUERMAN ERA

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
Sut Tatersaul

Re: DATING 1997-2002 MARBLE'S KNIVES-SEWART/LAUERMAN ERA

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Stagman:
Thanks, Stagman, for your thoughtful response to my inquiry about the age, and markings on my old Marble's knife. I have not been able to discern what you are saying about the A being worn off, as it seems to be all there. About the mark looping to the left, I don't understand. Since I had the knife during WW2 , I think it is safe to say that it was made in the 1915- 1935 era. I still don't know why the washers, and spacers show as they do, but I still love this old knife, and remember the English Commando dagger, that I traded for it, the boy that I traded with, to get the marble's knife, and am going to enjoy it just as it is regardless of it's history.
Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: DATING 1997-2002 MARBLE'S KNIVES-SEWART/LAUERMAN ERA

Post by stagman »

On a lot of pre WW2 Marble's knives, the A has a left facing loop on it...
as they used the stamp, that part of the stamp wore down and they kept using it
you can discern this feature on some if you look real close
Also, the spacers that were used in that era had NO sequence to them as far as dating the knife

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/clearcreekknives

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”