Marbles Fish Knife

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
knfcollector

Marbles Fish Knife

Post by knfcollector »

Here’s a real oldie on the bay. Is it really worth that much and are these this rare? Pretty cool regardless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283399060807?u ... noapp=true
Attachments
CB7B760C-79A5-43F4-8601-C12464E0595A.png
KNFCOLLECTOR
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Marbles Fish Knife

Post by stagman »

NO !!! Talk to knife7knut...he actually bought one of these for 75 cents
at an estate sale in Michigan...I been trying to ...con...him out of it ever since

Stag
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yes, and maybe. Any knife with the W L Marble stamp is very rare and will command a premium. Worth more than those knives marked M.S.A or Marbles. I have seen a couple of these fish knives sell for close to a grand, I think the seller is a bit high for today's market. An "Ideal" model with the W L Marble stamp sold for over $4,000 on the bay last year.
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

Gunsil wrote:Yes, and maybe. Any knife with the W L Marble stamp is very rare and will command a premium. Worth more than those knives marked M.S.A or Marbles. I have seen a couple of these fish knives sell for close to a grand, I think the seller is a bit high for today's market. An "Ideal" model with the W L Marble stamp sold for over $4,000 on the bay last year.
Yes it’s really hard to say what knives will bring these days. Sometimes I’m amazed at prices realized and other time it amazes me how cheap something goes for. With the onset of the Net and eBay a lot of knives have just become very common and available. It seems the rare ones can still bring good money that’s why I was wondering about this, at least as long as there still collectors around o buy them. Marbles seem down a lot from what they would bring 10 or 15 years ago. IMOP
KNFCOLLECTOR
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yes, your average Marbles Ideal, Expert, or Woodcraft are down along will most other common knives. The leather handled Marbles marked knives never were rare, just sought after for a while. BUT the W L Marble marked knives are still highly sought after and still bring good money, likely always will since they are early, rare, and most of all desirable to some collectors.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Probably not a bad listing price for this knife, Dunathan has it listed mint at $1,500.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

stagman wrote:NO !!! Talk to knife7knut...he actually bought one of these for 75 cents
at an estate sale in Michigan...I been trying to ...con...him out of it ever since

Stag
Here is my "seventy-five cent" wonder. For those that do not know the story: I went to an estate sale in my home town and bought a couple of knives and passed on one that I had second thoughts about. Went back the next day and it had been sold. Decided to look around to see if I had missed anything and found this on the dollar table. The second day they discount everything 25% so I wound up getting it for 75 cents.
Not in the greatest of shape and the fish emblem is missing but that is all right with me. Here are my other Marbles knives.
Attachments
Marbles#81FishKnife2018.jpg
MarblesFishKnife-.75 003.jpg
MarblesCollection2016.jpg
Marbles1.jpg
MarblesStagHunter 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

How is it used? Seems a little short, even compared to the 4" Mora I often use fishing (along with a fillet knife).
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

One just ended 5-24 after 1 week auction on ebay starting at 199.99
Same knife WL Marble stamped...No takers...
guy wanting 1400 bucks is a dreamer !!!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I ran into Guy at the Shenandoah Valley show, as is usual because both he and I have frequented this show for several years now. He jogged my memory about attending the show, maybe on April 1, 2016, when I went to the show, ate dinner at Edelweiss down Rt. 81, stayes the night in Harrisonburg, got up the next morning and skied at Wintergreen for 4 hours, then high-tailed it back to Northern Virginia to go to Nats stadium for a baseball game. I also met my brother's mother-in-law for the first time as she and some family members were visiting from Thailand.

Anyho, Guy has a sweet Marble's fish knife for sale, asking $1,400 which is probably spot on for this knife. He asked me to post some pictures for him because he once was on AAPK but cannot get signed back on even with Bryan's help. Also there's a shot of me talking to Barry and Gene as well as another AAPK member who was selling at the show. Herb may even be photobombing. ::paranoid:: ::rotflol:: Even more amazing than this rare knife, is the leather sheath that comes with it. They were probably always lost or tossed away.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230404-141729.png
Screenshot_20230404-141735.png
Screenshot_20230404-141724.png
Screenshot_20230404-141716.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”