Marbles pocket knives

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Marbles pocket knives

Post by hardman »

This next one is a little different. As has been stated, there was a time when Jim Parker, rightly or wrongly, made some Marbles branded knives. Most of them were made in Germany. But not this one. This was one of five that was handmade by Royce Shehorn of Traverse City, MI (I'm told he was out of Traverse City, but I cannot verify that.). It was made as a sample to be submitted by Parker to Marbles. Apparently, Royce could not produce these Elephant Toes fast enough for Mr. Parker, and so the number of Elephant Toes ever sold by Parker was under 100, with only five being made by Mr. Shehorn. Given the discussion above about possible Marbles Elephant Toes, I thought I would show this one.
Attachments
101_3204.JPG
101_3205.JPG
101_3206.JPG
101_3207.JPG
101_3208.JPG
101_3210.JPG
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That ranks right up there as one of the best Elephant Toenails I’ve ever seen. The stag on that is wonderful.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is one gorgeous knife hardman. Beautiful handles! ::nod:: ::nod::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Hardman...that is beautiful!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

hardman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:13 pm This next one is a little different. As has been stated, there was a time when Jim Parker, rightly or wrongly, made some Marbles branded knives. Most of them were made in Germany. But not this one. This was one of five that was handmade by Royce Shehorn of Traverse City, MI (I'm told he was out of Traverse City, but I cannot verify that.). It was made as a sample to be submitted by Parker to Marbles. Apparently, Royce could not produce these Elephant Toes fast enough for Mr. Parker, and so the number of Elephant Toes ever sold by Parker was under 100, with only five being made by Mr. Shehorn. Given the discussion above about possible Marbles Elephant Toes, I thought I would show this one.
Wow Gary, that's a beauty!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Found a list of Old Marble's Pocket Knives all have the same pattern # as a Case Knife
Attachments
IMG_8397.JPG
IMG_8399.JPG
IMG_8402.JPG
IMG_8403.JPG
IMG_8404.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very interesting. I would love to see some of these, if any were actually made. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

5958 and 5948 remind me a lot of Sheffield-made knives.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:48 pm 5958 and 5948 remind me a lot of Sheffield-made knives.
You may be right I don't remember a Case that looks like that? ::handshake::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

A Little more from the old Catalogue
Attachments
IMG_8406.JPG
IMG_8407.JPG

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”