Marble's advertising knife

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Marble's advertising knife

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a little advertising knife that is very unique. I no longer have the knife and didn't realize I had some pictures of it but just found the pics so am posting here. It is a August Vignos, Novelty Cutlery, Canton Ohio whittler pattern knife and is marked on all three blades. As best as I could tell the knife was all original. The advertising pictures under each side did exactly match a small flyer I had that was MSA era. What appears to be separation at the head end marked side of the handle (second picture) is not separation but a clear spot in the celluloid cover. At any rate a very unusual little knife.
Attachments
DSC05696.JPG
DSC05697.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Marble's advertising knife

Post by edge213 »

::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

btrwtr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:36 pm Here is a little advertising knife that is very unique. I no longer have the knife and didn't realize I had some pictures of it but just found the pics so am posting here. It is a August Vignos, Novelty Cutlery, Canton Ohio whittler pattern knife and is marked on all three blades. As best as I could tell the knife was all original. The advertising pictures under each side did exactly match a small flyer I had that was MSA era. What appears to be separation at the head end marked side of the handle (second picture) is not separation but a clear spot in the celluloid cover. At any rate a very unusual little knife.
That's the nicest Advertising knife I have ever seen Wayne. Thanks for sharing. ::nod::
August Vignos (Novelty Cutlery) is very historic also. He lost a limb in the American Civil War, he overcame his war hardships and became a very productive and wealthy businessman in cutlery.
Wish you still had it. I'd make you a more than reasonable offer.
Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
jwwood

Post by jwwood »

Interesting info. Thanks Gentlemen ::tu::
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Wayne,,, in all my years I have never saw an ad knife with
Marble's on it..or even heard of them being made..
neat little knife..
I know Webster Marble was a marketing guru tho,
wonder if he ordered them knives made ???

Will
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That is really cool! ::tu:: ::tu::

🤔 Interesting that it's made by a different knife maker, furthering the scepticism about historic Marble's pocket knife production.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”