Help! I discovered I have no books on Marbles!

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
Gunsil

Re: Help! I discovered I have no books on Marbles!

Post by Gunsil »

Roland, I know you love ivory like I do, and thank you for the fine compliment on my ivory Marbles knives. Here is another I was sad to see go, it is a late 1600s-early 1700s Arabic knife with wootz damascus steel and a walrus ivory handle. Sadly I didn't photo the scabbard before I parted with it, the scabbard was wood with a thin leather cover which was mostly gone and a long silver (probably coin silver about 825 fine) throat and tip, only about two inches of wood/leather showing between the two silver ends. It went to a collector of these knives who said it was odd because it had a small about 5") blade and he thought it must have been made for a child of royalty since usually this type of dagger is much longer.

Dale, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
7242AD9C-B765-434B-9765-34F88099AA39_1_105_c.jpeg
D0ECBEA1-6829-4057-84B9-DB01561E7EDD_1_105_c.jpeg
8F642700-B358-4071-A04B-F9D9CE0956ED_1_105_c.jpeg
FFB6759A-36D5-4528-9B8E-CF5A3D84B1FE_1_105_c.jpeg

For those of you who wonder about different ivories, this shows well the main attribute to walrus ivory as compared to elephant or mastodon ivory. Walrus ivory has a sort of pithy core or center, some collectors call it "Tapioca" and it is easily seen here on the end of the pommel and the center of the handle where it is narrowed down. It is not really soft like the pithy core of American stag, but it is the telltale sign of walrus tusks. This will never be seen on elephant/mastodon ivory which has the same pattern all the way through the tusk.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:10 pm Maybe you had to use Safari because you referenced elephants? lol
Good thinking Cal!! Had the same thing happen yesterday, did a re-start on my laptop and I was able to log in with Firefox, today I tried that and still couldn't log in with Firefox. At least I have both options.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys for all your help. I did find a book on eBay which I have ordered.
You guys once again are a fountain of information! It's good to know a fountain or two. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”