Marble's knife found in auction lot

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
Kolvir

Marble's knife found in auction lot

Post by Kolvir »

This knife came in a box of odd tools and miscellaneous items. Clearly polished. It came with a beat up sheath too, but it wasn't made for the knife.

I'd like any information anyone has on it. Also, does it have any value, or is it too far gone?
100_2873.JPG
100_2872.JPG
100_2871.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Marble's knife found in auction lot

Post by 1967redrider »

*misread
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

With the edge clear up into the fuller, I would say value is very minimal.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Kolvir

Post by Kolvir »

I figured. Any idea on age and model?
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The model name is Ideal. Age, probably 1920s-30s. Some will say the left facing cross bar on the letter A in Marbles indicates an early knife but I have seen plenty with the bakelite pommel of the WW2 ers with that characteristic. I agree that the extreme wear and pitting renders it of low collector value. Very cool to find in a box of tools, hopefully the next box you find has a better condition knife in it.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Collector value may be low, but that one was made when knives bought and used, not bought and stored. That one has successfully achieve that distinction but has miles to go before it sleeps.

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”