Northwoods Norfolk Pattern

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
kootenay joe

Northwoods Norfolk Pattern

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not see a thread dedicated to the Norfolk pattern knives: Norfolk pen & Norfolk Whittler.
Here are my 2, one of each pattern, both with fine elephant ivory. Note that the Norfolk pen does not have a true Wharncliffe blade which is described as "short and stout". The Norfolk Whittler has a true Wharncliffe blade.
Included in the pictures is my ivory GEC Northfield "Conductor" Swell Center pen knife because it is so fine !
What is the GEC pattern # for the Norfolk frame ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP6503.JPG
IMGP6505.JPG
IMGP6506.JPG
IMGP6504.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Northwoods Norfolk Pattern

Post by doglegg »

Roland, those are almost X rated. Wow are those beautiful. All 3! congratulations on owning 3 such amazing knives. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you. They are even nicer than my pictures show. I think the "Conductor" is one of the best GEC branded knives, a terrific pattern very well executed. But this thread is supposed to be for Norfolk nattering, not Conductor chatting.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Those are some real beauties, Roland. Just gorgeous!

I don't know of a GEC pattern number for the Norfolk frame. The frame looks a lot like the Queen made Black Box Winchester knives. Winchester pattern number 2935 is one example but I don't think it was actually named Norfolk.

I think the Northwoods Norfolk was made by Queen.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Those are, w/out a doubt, 3 of the best ivory knives I have ever seen. They have that “true knife” look to them. Wonderful the way the bolsters and shields look right up next to and behind that ivory, magnificent.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Roland the elephant ivory on those knives is exquisite. GEC definitely made the Northwoods Norfolk whittler in 2014 on the #31 frame. 60 pieces e ivory and 53 pieces m ivory. Here is mine in mammoth.
Attachments
IMG_5116 (2) (1).JPG
IMG_5116 (2) (1).JPG (23.52 KiB) Viewed 7720 times
IMG_5118 (2) (1).JPG
IMG_5118 (2) (1).JPG (21.66 KiB) Viewed 7720 times
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

gsmith7158 wrote:Roland the elephant ivory on those knives is exquisite. GEC definitely made the Northwoods Norfolk whittler in 2014 on the #31 frame. 60 pieces e ivory and 53 pieces m ivory. Here is mine in mammoth.
Very nice knife Greg and thank you for that info. I had never heard of the GEC #31 pattern.
Rick T.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote:I do not see a thread dedicated to the Norfolk pattern knives: Norfolk pen & Norfolk Whittler.
Here are my 2, one of each pattern, both with fine elephant ivory. Note that the Norfolk pen does not have a true Wharncliffe blade which is described as "short and stout". The Norfolk Whittler has a true Wharncliffe blade.
Included in the pictures is my ivory GEC Northfield "Conductor" Swell Center pen knife because it is so fine !
What is the GEC pattern # for the Norfolk frame ?
kj
Roland, those 3 knives are beautiful!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Railsplitter wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Roland the elephant ivory on those knives is exquisite. GEC definitely made the Northwoods Norfolk whittler in 2014 on the #31 frame. 60 pieces e ivory and 53 pieces m ivory. Here is mine in mammoth.
Very nice knife Greg and thank you for that info. I had never heard of the GEC #31 pattern.
Rick I've never seen a GEC branded #31 but that's the pattern number it shows for the Norfolk whittler in the production totals. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Now we need to lobby GEC to make more #31 pattern knives as the only GEC Norfolks are the Northwoods branded ones. Thanks Greg for finding the pattern # and for posting what could be your best Northwoods.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

gsmith7158 wrote: Rick I've never seen a GEC branded #31 but that's the pattern number it shows for the Norfolk whittler in the production totals. ::shrug::
I looked it up after I saw your post and before I replied and sure enough, I saw the same thing. ::tu:: Good thing I didn't bet any money on it. :) I thought for sure it was the same frame as the Queen made Winchesters but I was dead wrong.
Rick T.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Now we need to lobby GEC to make more #31 pattern knives as the only GEC Norfolks are the Northwoods branded ones. Thanks Greg for finding the pattern # and for posting what could be your best Northwoods.
kj
That would be nice,but what handle material could we expect with political correctness ruling the day. It could go for a nice MOP or abalone. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I read that some States have banned mammoth. What about PA. ? My hope is that GEC would continue to use mammoth for as long as they legally can.
kj
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

kootenay joe wrote:I read that some States have banned mammoth. What about PA. ? My hope is that GEC would continue to use mammoth for as long as they legally can.
kj
Are they concerned that using Mammoth Ivory will be a factor in the extinction of Mammoths?!!

I guess there really is no limit to the stupidity of the politically correct!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The problem is that mammoth ivory and elephant ivory can be all but indistinguishable. A lot of mammoth looks just like ivory so for the ivory ban to be effective both need to be banned. Something like 10,000 elephants per year are being killed for the tusks. This figure seems hard to believe but was in an article i recently read. Regardless of this figure, elephants could be extinct within 10 years if the slaughter continues.
kj
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

Norfolk camel bone
Norfolk camel bone
Beautiful color on this one.
20190919_190022.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Beautiful knife. Absolutely wonderful.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Finally found the last jigged bone Norfolk needed to complete the three blade Whittler set…and a couple extras.
71DC1055-5383-4868-81DF-F81907A54449.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice Buck. Wow, what a sweet collection. That’s a pattern I have always liked but haven’t concentrated on, I think that needs to change after seeing your collection.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's an awesome set! 😎👍👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Buckibbq wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:19 am Finally found the last jigged bone Norfolk needed to complete the three blade Whittler set…and a couple extras.
Well done! An great pattern as well. Another reminder of Northwoods better days.
-Tim
beezwax
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by beezwax »

Can anyone help me to identify the covers on this one? I picked it up right here from the AAPK member store recently, but it didn't come with the baggie and the seller wasn't sure what it was. I know it's a Norfolk from the first run in 2013 (2-blade slant bolsters). But when I look at the production sheet for that year I see covers that include "smooth calico bone" and also "smooth camel bone" (undyed). It has to be one of those two, but I don't know enough to distinguish between them.

Northwoods Norfolk-1.JPG
Northwoods Norfolk-2.JPG
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Buckibbq wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:19 am Finally found the last jigged bone Norfolk needed to complete the three blade Whittler set…and a couple extras.
What a sweet line up. Great score, congrats, excellent group of beaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuties.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

beezwax wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:25 am Can anyone help me to identify the covers on this one? I picked it up right here from the AAPK member store recently, but it didn't come with the baggie and the seller wasn't sure what it was. I know it's a Norfolk from the first run in 2013 (2-blade slant bolsters). But when I look at the production sheet for that year I see covers that include "smooth calico bone" and also "smooth camel bone" (undyed). It has to be one of those two, but I don't know enough to distinguish between them.

Northwoods Norfolk-1.JPG
Northwoods Norfolk-2.JPG
That two blade Norfolk that you have is the Calico Bone. I had one of those along with an ebony and an elephant Ivory. The Ivory is the only one of those that I have left.
B9B43C2D-3A87-4152-AEEB-4E24A15AECD9.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

[/quote]

What a sweet line up. Great score, congrats, excellent group of beaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuties.
[/quote]

Thanks, I-Man! It’s a thrill to finish up a set like that. On to the next one :D

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”