Northwoods Norfolk Pattern

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
Ivoryman

Re: Northwoods Norfolk Pattern

Post by Ivoryman »

Buckibbq wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:33 am
beezwax wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:25 am Can anyone help me to identify the covers on this one? I picked it up right here from the AAPK member store recently, but it didn't come with the baggie and the seller wasn't sure what it was. I know it's a Norfolk from the first run in 2013 (2-blade slant bolsters). But when I look at the production sheet for that year I see covers that include "smooth calico bone" and also "smooth camel bone" (undyed). It has to be one of those two, but I don't know enough to distinguish between them.

Northwoods Norfolk-1.JPG
Northwoods Norfolk-2.JPG
That two blade Norfolk that you have is the Calico Bone. I had one of those along with an ebony and an elephant Ivory. The Ivory is the only one of those that I have left.B9B43C2D-3A87-4152-AEEB-4E24A15AECD9.jpeg
Gorgeous tusk on that one. What an elegant knife. Bravo. ::tu:: ::tu:: :mrgreen: ::groove::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
beezwax
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by beezwax »

Buckibbq wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:33 amThat two blade Norfolk that you have is the Calico Bone. I had one of those along with an ebony and an elephant Ivory. The Ivory is the only one of those that I have left.
Thanks Bryon! Calico would have been my best guess, but this sample really doesn't have much of the darker splotches that I associate with that coloring. And camel bone seems to have a natural patchiness to it too, so I wasn't sure what I had here. Calico is bovine bone, right? That ivory of yours is gorgeous, I can see why it's the keeper :)
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

beezwax wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:25 am Calico is bovine bone, right?
In my experience, anytime something is referred to as "bone" it is always bovine cow bone. Any other species other than bovine is usually noted in the name. For example:
(color) giraffe bone
(color) camel bone
(color) kudu bone
etc.
Carl B.
beezwax
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by beezwax »

Rookie wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:09 pmIn my experience, anytime something is referred to as "bone" it is always bovine cow bone. Any other species other than bovine is usually noted in the name.
Thanks! It seemed a safe assumption but I wasn't sure.
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

I’ve added a couple duplicate Norfolk 3-Blades to the collection and happy to say that this purple camel bone had some storage spots on it so I cleaned them off, sharpened it, and put it in the carry rotation. It’s a joy to have in the pocket. The newest mammoth got a coat of Ren Wax and after a bit of admiration, was put away with the others.
684BEB21-F7EA-400C-8DDA-C905515A3F0C.jpeg
03C4153E-76E9-470E-8EE2-27C4C7995964.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wow do you have fancy pockets!. A wonderful carry.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Gorgeous knifes bucki, wow is all I can say regarding that tusk. Mmmmmmnnnnnnnn. ::tu:: ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations on two superlative knives.

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”