Dave Shirley Northwoods

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
Ivoryman

Re: Dave Shirley Northwoods

Post by Ivoryman »

Lansky1 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:12 pm I only have 1 Shirley era Northwoods ... a "mini moose" pen knife. One of my fave's - it's 3-1/4" closed with a wharncliffe - super hard snap for a wee knife --->

IMG-1809.jpg

IMG-1807.jpg
Just noticed you posted my knife Lansky. Cool piece for sure. Nice to know where it has been. Must have been another unknown turn on the road of it's life. Good to know a bit more of the chain of custody. :mrgreen: :lol: ::super_happy:: ::tu::
Attachments
thumbnail_20210717_085552.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

interesting - I picked it up at the Easton, PA knife show & it has since made its way 4000 miles or so west to Hawaii. That knife has quite a travel record ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Lansky1 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:10 pm interesting - I picked it up at the Easton, PA knife show & it has since made its way 4000 miles or so west to Hawaii. That knife has quite a travel record ...

Do you recall the year? I was curious when these were made? Thanks for the info.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I bought it used at that knife show about 3 years ago ... sorry, don't know when they were originally made
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Once-upon-a-time I had three of these Northwoods Stag Barlows but for some reason I sold them all ::dang::. So, when I saw this one, I snapped it right up despite the fact that I paid more for this one than the combined total I sold my first three for. ::doh::

P1150017.JPG
P1150024.JPG
P1150025.JPG
P1150027.JPG
P1150021.JPG
P1150019.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

I’ve only got a few of the Shirley era Northwoods but this is my favorite. Would love to find the matching clip point.
0AB884AA-1AFE-415E-88D2-ECED74B9AB82.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Buckibbq wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:47 am I’ve only got a few of the Shirley era Northwoods but this is my favorite. Would love to find the matching clip point.0AB884AA-1AFE-415E-88D2-ECED74B9AB82.jpeg
Beautiful. Love a good ivory spear point. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice one.
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Pretty happy with this recent Shirley era Sowbelly acquisition. This one is every bit as good as GEC quality.
Attachments
6F8D079E-F79D-437E-9837-2478E2AE683A.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Buck they sure are. Nice knife. Love the red.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:40 am Buck they sure are. Nice knife. Love the red.
Thank you, Mark…I kinda shied away from the Queen made Northwoods…but going forward, I'll be looking to add a few select pieces
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I reread this entire thread today and it really makes me miss Roland. Anyone have any more to add to this?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

I’ve got a couple more in stag, but this is the only other Shirley era Ivory NWs that I have. Nice little stockman…not a great pic.
9AC3E009-7362-4DCF-8AD2-5C25FAEFEA0C.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Now that’s a nice knife Buck. I love stockman’s and this one in ivory is down right gorgeous. Thanks for sharing that.
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:37 am Now that’s a nice knife Buck. I love stockman’s and this one in ivory is down right gorgeous. Thanks for sharing that.
My pleasure…I’ll dig out the stags to add here one of these days
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Buckibbq wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:49 am I’ve got a couple more in stag, but this is the only other Shirley era Ivory NWs that I have. Nice little stockman…not a great pic.
9AC3E009-7362-4DCF-8AD2-5C25FAEFEA0C.jpeg
Incredible piece, love a good Northwoods and love a good piece of tusk. Killing two birds with one stone. :mrgreen: ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”