Post your Favorite Northwoods Knife

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
Onearmbladejunkie

Re: Post your Favorite Northwoods Knife

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I can't even buy one from KnivesShipFree while one AAPK dealer got 4/5 #93s Signals to sell. All those Evil-bayers selling GEC And GEC Northwoods knives makes me sick. I have never sold or traded a knife in my life. But I have given some of my best knives to the deserving. Many of these dealers have special buying software with multiple Pay-Pal and E-mail accounts with one click. I believe KnivesShipFree has favorites also.
9999000677344221112.png
9999000677344221112.png (130.52 KiB) Viewed 5988 times
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote:I can't even buy one from KnivesShipFree while one AAPK dealer got 4/5 #93s Signals to sell. All those Evil-bayers selling GEC And GEC Northwoods knives makes me sick. I have never sold or traded a knife in my life. But I have given some of my best knives to the deserving. Many of these dealers have special buying software with multiple Pay-Pal and E-mail accounts with one click. I believe KnivesShipFree has favorites also. 9999000677344221112.png
A more sympathetic ear you will not find my friend. Join the club. I try to get in on most Northwoods releases and probably score one less than half the time. But that's not Knives Ship Free's slight against you personally, if it makes you feel any better it's all of us, or me anyway too. Right there comiserating with you. Five years ago they sat around a while, now their all gone in minutes. That's just increased demand and appreciation, don't you wish all your knives did that? Well, hats off the Knives Ship Free and Derrick Bohn and Northwoods for taking a sweet company like GEC and getting them to make a slightly different knife that increases in value. Who else doing that? GEC Rocks, what can I say, and Northwoods is secondary market GOLD. I thank Derrick every day and wish him the best. R.I.P. with all due respect. Met him a few times and sure I liked him more that he liked me. Love the guy. Know why? Becasue EVERY Northwoods I ever bought from him but one is worth two or three times what I paid him for it. He made me some money with his knife supply and I never did jack for him. He did me a favor letting me buy his knives and enjoy using them. Mr. Bohn is gone and he's still probably about my favorite knife guy/designer. And I've got a huge smile and warm greeting for him if I get to see him on the other side.
Attachments
WP_20181122_092.jpg
WP_20180416_007.jpg
WP_20181009_032.jpg
WP_20181111_080.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The very rapid selling out of the last about 2 years i think is due to mobile technology. The instant a retailer sends out a message to say "New GEC Available" it arrives on a mobile phone which can then be used to complete a purchase regardless if you are home or not. If you use a computer your email gets updated about every 30 minutes so th 'Available' email might have been sitting on server for 29 minutes before you even get it. By then all knives have been purchased by those with a mobile smart phone.
There likely are more buyers now than say 3 or 4 years ago but i think it is the change in technology that accounts for selling out in 2-3 minutes.
Too bad because it forces you to 'go fast' and for those of us who do not have a mobile device we are out of the game, watching from the side lines for the runs that are most popular.
kj
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Oh well, what can you do ::shrug::
Luckily the GEC's that I like/love are not the big sellers. And if they are, I just wait till they restock, or try my best to snag 1 of the "pass over" ones. Still great knives, I just stay out of they hype when they are released. Example; I snagged 1 of the new stockyard whittlers in Bloodwood 2 days ago, beautiful looking knife. Checked when I got home after work, that last 1 was still in stock. ::shrug:: I don't get it at all (Head scratch moment).
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

Well I just located and bought a real Northwoods Knife. 2008 Northwoods "Moore Maker" Safety knife 1 of 100 made This is a drawer knife with no box. A little age patina on the bone. Maybe some slight pitting and drawer marks. In the mail and on the way to me. I am going to clean it , oil it , play with it , and EDC !
453342211133.jpg
8766344556677129.jpg
9008766554453342222.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Neat. I remember those. Made by Queen i think ?
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

You'll blame their popularity on anything besides reality kj: mobile devices, hype, fads, bandwagon mentality. Anything besides the knives themselves and the truth which is no one else makes what they are selling, not even GEC themselves, and people like the product. Well most people. Then you'll question why others buy them when you yourself buy them. Truth, reason, logic and supply and demand will not convince someone who chooses to ignore what the real issue is. For years you have been telling us it's a fad and will pass. Not yet. ::dead_horse::
Attachments
WP_20160825_10_55_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20170112_016.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

WP_20150615_12_46_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20150615_12_46_13_Pro.jpg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Ivoryman wrote:WP_20150615_12_46_55_Pro.jpgWP_20150615_12_46_13_Pro.jpg
Nice pic of a great pattern.
-Tim
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks Farside, appreciate it.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ivoryman i have never stated that GEC knives are a "fad". And you misunderstood my post about mobile technology. This technology is not responsible for the popularity of GEC knives. The knives are why they are popular. Mobile technology has enabled buyers to react much more quickly. CK sends message on an early reserve opening up and reservations are filled in 45 seconds ! Or dealer sends out a message, new GEC available: sold out in 2-3 minutes. The speed of selling out has greatly increased in the last few years because most buyers are using mobile. I am on a desk top computer. Knives are sold out before the notification email arrives in my inbox.
My post was about this change in how fast GEC knives sell out. Mobile devices receive messages instantly. This has changed selling out time from about 30 minutes to around 3 minutes.
Please read my posts more carefully to be sure to be clear on what i am saying before responding.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Please go back and look at your posts from a couple years ago when you said TC Barlows were a fad and they would be back to selling for retail on the secondary market within the year. That was years ago. Never happened, and still not happening and neither are Northwoods and it's no fad it's supply that never meets increasing demand because of the obvious popularity of exceptional patterns. Now you deny it. You go back and read the posts. I know what you said and made a note of it and counted the years and am still waiting for it to happen. But it won't. You speak with a forked tongue and deny it now just like you deny flipping Northwoods which I have seen you do for way more than you paid while you criticize others for the same behavior. Just like saying some seller colored his pics without proof or evidence. Just opinion. And you question why people do what you do. Can't reason or debate with people who change their story or act like they didn't say something they did. But you can believe whatever you want to believe and make up whatever you want to make up. Same old same old.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What's eating your shorts iman ?
I don't flip knives or falsely accuse others. Your post says more about you than about me. There is no point in debating with you, or even defending myself. About 7,000 posts here and a few thousand pictures posted, --- people here know who i am.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Well I expected you'd deny it. That's okay, whatever you say, sorry I wasted the time even responding or reading the post, but I'll avoid making that mistake in the future. You don't flip knives huh? Well that's interesting. I guess you have a different definition for whatever word suits you. Hard to discuss anything if the definition of the words keeps changing and the story keeps changing. I thought when people buy knives and sell them for double or triple what they paid, it's called "flipping", but we have different meanings for the words and different expectations of integrity and honesty, or owning up to what we do. Good to know so I can avoid the posts in the future.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My favorite Northwoods pattern is the Norfolk which was made as a pen knife and as a whittler. But these are tied with my GEC Conductor, a swell center pen knife for overall favorite GEC made knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP6503.JPG
IMGP6505.JPG
IMGP6506.JPG
IMGP6504.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Drop dead gorgeous knives. Those patterns in ivory are spectacular.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kootenay joe wrote:My favorite Northwoods pattern is the Norfolk which was made as a pen knife and as a whittler. But these are tied with my GEC Conductor, a swell center pen knife for overall favorite GEC made knife.
kj
Indeed, very nice group there.
-Tim
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

KJ, The Northwoods Norfolks and the GEC Conductor knives are fantastic examples of knives as art.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Roland, any of those are the pinnacle of what has come out of Great Eastern Cutlery. Thanks for sharing.

As an aside, thank you for what you contribute to AAPK's community. You are an asset and a gentleman.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Double post.
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

hey Roland,
here's my ivory Conductor along with the Dog Paw sfo I'd mentioned. I need to check the numbers again but I could swear there are less than 10 of the ivory knife w/bale. Thanks again for your help, you are far too generous with your time!
Attachments
conductors 9-13-19.JPG
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Cletus, I'm all-board with your Conductors. Very nice. ::tu:: ::tu::
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

well, thankya kindly Ralph.
so it's 35 pcs with clip/pen, 3pcs with clip/coping. dang..."missed it by that much."--Agent 86
2 yrs later they did a Conductor Whittler. Man, love to get my mitts on one a them..
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. so that is the "Dog Paw". I have not seen it before. There are 7 Conductors with mammoth handles, but no bale. Anyone have one to show ?
They used the same pattern to make a whittler in 2013 but none had ivory or mammoth handles.
Question: what pattern number is the Northwoods Norfolk pen & whittler ? I would like to see GEC do a run of Norfolk knives.
Thanks for the supportive comments. We all try our best here.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Heritage Jack going to the stratosphere. Never thought I'd see any Northwoods reach this height. Man was I wrong. Gotta see it to believe it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Her ... 3234527186

Guess it was a good investment. Thanks to Derrick Bohn. RIP blade brother, you're still giving to us all. And if GEC had any business sense whatsoever they would keep making stuff like this, they could put their own name on it and a different shield and sell their knives for several times what they are currently going for. Ammmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzziiing. Rock on Northwoods.
Attachments
thumbnail_20200721_152404.jpg

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”