Northwoods Big Bay

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
RalphAlsip

Re: Northwoods Big Bay

Post by RalphAlsip »

This giraffe Big Bay was in the stragglers that accompanied the Madison Barlow drop. My lighting tends to accentuate orange.
Attachments
Northwoods Big Bay Giraffe Front & Back.jpg
Northwoods Big Bay Giraffe Top & Bottom.jpg
Northwoods Big Bay Giraffe #3.jpg
Northwoods Big Bay Giraffe #4.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would like to see a picture of the Madison Barlow & Big Bay to compare sizes. I do not have either of these so do not know the sizes or which GEC pattern # they are built on.
kj
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

'ere ya go..
Attachments
BB-MB.JPG
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I don't have Madison Barlow to compare. The Big Bay is 3 3/4" and is built on the GEC 78 frame. Here are some comparison pictures of the Big Bay and a GEC 78.
Attachments
Compare GEC 78 to Northwoods Big Bay #1.jpg
Compare GEC 78 to Northwoods Big Bay #3.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks guys. So, the "Big Bay" is not really that big and the Madison Barlow is the bigger of these two which is opposite to what i had thought.
The Madison is likely on the #43 frame which is 4 1/4" ?
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

RalphAlsip wrote:This giraffe Big Bay was in the stragglers that accompanied the Madison Barlow drop. My lighting tends to accentuate orange.
Man!!!! That is gorgeous!!!!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The Big Bay to me is the perfect size pocket knife. I like it as much as the Fremont jack. I believe I would feel more comfortable carrying the Madison Barlow in a sheath. Jerry that Giraffe Big Bay is stunning! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

I originally passed on the Big Bay (dumb, I know) so I've kept this one in case I decide I don't need anything else.
Attachments
IMG_0051~2.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I did not manage to get one of the Northwoods Heritage Jacks that were just released and sold out in minutes. But i did have some luck with the "Stragglers" and picked up a Big Bay with mammoth handles for $229. At 3 3/4" with rounded handle and rounded long bolster with a solid clip blade, i think i would likely prefer the Big Bay to the 3 7/8" Heritage jack with the rustic spear point blade.
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 pm I did not manage to get one of the Northwoods Heritage Jacks that were just released and sold out in minutes. But i did have some luck with the "Stragglers" and picked up a Big Bay with mammoth handles for $229. At 3 3/4" with rounded handle and rounded long bolster with a solid clip blade, i think i would likely prefer the Big Bay to the 3 7/8" Heritage jack with the rustic spear point blade.
kj
Well dome kj, do you have pics from the drop?
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 pm I did not manage to get one of the Northwoods Heritage Jacks that were just released and sold out in minutes. But i did have some luck with the "Stragglers" and picked up a Big Bay with mammoth handles for $229. At 3 3/4" with rounded handle and rounded long bolster with a solid clip blade, i think i would likely prefer the Big Bay to the 3 7/8" Heritage jack with the rustic spear point blade.
kj
If you ever decide to sell, please give me a holler. I didn't have any luck getting any. Congrats on the big bay.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

robbobus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 pm
kj
No pictures. I did not even take a close look at the mammoth other than it seems to be a uniform beige. Probably why is was a "straggler".
Is there a way to access the listing picture now ?
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:25 pm
robbobus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 pm
kj
No pictures. I did not even take a close look at the mammoth other than it seems to be a uniform beige. Probably why is was a "straggler".
Is there a way to access the listing picture now ?
kj
Just click the contact us button at ksf and request pics. Worked for me previously.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Rob. I did already email KSF to ask where this Mammoth Big Bay 'straggler' had spent the last 2 years. If it had been for sale it would have sold 2 years ago when they came out. So, where has it been ? I just received a reply saying they had no history for the "straggler" knives. Really ? did they list themselves ?
Rather than bother KSF again i will wait until i can get to Northport, WA. to pick it up. We are having a Mega snow winter, non stop snowing and there are not enough snow plows to keep all roads open. Might be 1-2 weeks before i can get there. I will post my pictures here.
kj
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

Just got this black beauty in the mail this week.
bigbay.jpg
Attachments
bigbay1.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

RAMROD wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:39 pm Just got this black beauty in the mail this week.
bigbay.jpg
Gorgeous handles!!!!! ::nod:: ::nod::

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”