Northwoods Fayette Jack

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
kootenay joe

Re: Northwoods Fayette Jack

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Jerry. I am very pleased with this knife. I hope GEC/Northwoods offer giraffe bone on some of the 2019 knives.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:Here are my pictures of this Fayette Jack with giraffe bone handles. i am also showing it with my Presidential and Esky Zulu knives which have the best mammoth handles in my collection. I think this giraffe is every bit as pleasing.
It is still very 'dull' outside with the sun very low on the horizon even though it is noon. The handles look 'brighter' when the light is brighter. All this to say, knives exceed these pictures.
kj
Roland, that is, without a doubt, the nicest giraffe bone I have ever seen on a knife. I usually don’t like the look of most giraffe bone. But this one doesn’t have that look. I’m envious of all those knives. All are beauties. I wish I had started to collect GEC knives earlier.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Both very beautiful knives kj. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I posted this in other threads, but hey I don’t mind if you don’t. This is the same handle material that Steve started this thread w/. Of the two that I got, this one is my favorite.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5179.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

ssk, nice Fayette Jack. ::tu:: ::tu:: The black linen and red linen are usually attractive. The burlap, denim, etch variations are hit and (mostly) miss with me.

Here is a picture of a Giraffe Fayette Jack. Variations can occur with Giraffe as you will see if you compare this one to the beautiful example that kj posted earlier. This one is lighter in color with a salmon color tint to the front handle.
Attachments
Northwoods Fayette Jack Giraffe #3 small.jpg
Northwoods Fayette Jack Giraffe #4 small.jpg
jtmitchell
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by jtmitchell »

I just picked this Fayette Jack up during the last drop. Does anyone know why some giraffe bone scales are brown/gray and some orange. I understand that giraffe bone can have variations in color, but there's no hint of orange in this one.
Attachments
20200119_153423.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hey jt, welcome to AAPK :)
I would of bought that Fayette jack even though i do prefer lighter colors.
I have asked the same question: how is it that giraffe bone can take on such a wide variety of colors while other bones like camel or cow don't. No answer was forthcoming. Is it the bone or is it the dying technique ? Who does the processing & dying of giraffe bone ? If this could be discovered they would be able to provide answers.
Giraffe shin bone is the densest of any bone in any animal. A giraffe is a huge animal with most of it's weight over the front legs and the stress forces increase calcium deposition. Hence it is odd that the most dense of all bones is able to absorb dye so well.
The information is known and 'out there' somewhere but so far has not been discovered by those who post here.
kj

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”