Northwoods Harrison Bay

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Northwoods Harrison Bay

Post by gsmith7158 »

Roland I looked at some kudu bone available from Jantz supply. It looks pretty sold to me so I'm not sure how they inject acrylic resin in it to make handles like yours and mine but I have decided that I don't like it and won't buy another kudu bone.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Looks like the used this very "porous" portion of the bone, filled with acrylic. Giving a kind of honey comb appearance.
kudu bone.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Monk, the examples of kudu bone you found and posted all look different from each other. Some are easily ID'd as bone, but others like mine don't look like they have any bone in them.
The picture posted by doc B of the porous bone surface looks like it is the inner side of the bone surrounding the marrow in the center.
Given all this i still cannot understand why some of the "kudu bone" appears to be all acrylic.
kj
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

gsmith7158 wrote:Roland I looked at some kudu bone available from Jantz supply. It looks pretty sold to me so I'm not sure how they inject acrylic resin in it to make handles like yours and mine but I have decided that I don't like it and won't buy another kudu bone.
I feel better reading this. I remember you and I talked about our feelings for the Kudu when we got our Bear Lakes. I like it okay but I won't be paying the exorbitant premium for it, again.
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have had very good experiences with KSF. This kudu H.B. is the only time i have felt that KSF has put profit well ahead of giving the customer a fair deal. Posts show that there are other kudu bone owners who are also dissatisfied.
Do you think KSF is aware that a number of their customers are feeling a bit ripped off ?
KSF had my trust. Maybe i was foolish, too gullible, but now they no longer have my trust so the reason for being a loyal customer is gone.
Charging such a high price for what turns out to be a rather suspect material was a major mis-step by KSF.
I hope they read this because it is not too late yet to get back on track. But one more ho hum over priced Northwoods will kill the premium status, and alienate even more customers.
kj

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”