Northwoods Signal Jack

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Northwoods Signal Jack

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Looks like another “rush” is coming on Wednesday for these. I will be putting on my shoulder pads and helmet to get right in there.
Attachments
northwoods-signal-jack-announcement.jpg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Onearmbladejunkie

Re: Northwoods Signal Jack

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

Get signed up at KnivesShipFree and be ready at 4pm 7/22/2019 for the Northwoods Signal Jack.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Why ?
Perhaps there is a business case to be made for buying any Northwoods because they can be sold for a profit, usually.
But for collectors this Northwoods Signal Jack is just a GEC #93 with a saber ground blade instead of a flat ground one. Unless there are good natural handle choices i don't see this as a particularly significant knife.
The Waynorth Cutlery Lambsfoot is significantly different from the regular #93 and is well worth buying. Many people think this Lambsfoot is the best of all the knives made on the 93 frame.
Unfortunately Northwoods has 'slipped'. For the last few years the Northwoods knives have been more like a re-branded GEC rather than a unique and desirable offering. The 'special' Northwoods are those from the early days of KSF ownership.
Waynorth Cutlery continues to hit home runs every time. I think Waynorth has now replaced Northwoods as the GEC made knife that you really want to get.
kj
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

I'll just wait for my email from Rough Ryder telling about their newest release.
At least I know I'll be able to get one. :mrgreen:
Tim
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Personally, given the cost of these, I'll stick with my old Taylor's Eye Witness 9cm Lambsfoot. For a fraction of what the GEC, and definitely the Northwoods, I can ditch the old shrunken (and paint spattered) synthetic on the Eye Witness for some of the nicer choices on the GECs.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

kootenay joe wrote:Why ?
Perhaps there is a business case to be made for buying any Northwoods because they can be sold for a profit, usually.
But for collectors this Northwoods Signal Jack is just a GEC #93 with a saber ground blade instead of a flat ground one. Unless there are good natural handle choices i don't see this as a particularly significant knife.
The Waynorth Cutlery Lambsfoot is significantly different from the regular #93 and is well worth buying. Many people think this Lambsfoot is the best of all the knives made on the 93 frame.
Unfortunately Northwoods has 'slipped'. For the last few years the Northwoods knives have been more like a re-branded GEC rather than a unique and desirable offering. The 'special' Northwoods are those from the early days of KSF ownership.
Waynorth Cutlery continues to hit home runs every time. I think Waynorth has now replaced Northwoods as the GEC made knife that you really want to get.
kj

Are you jerking our chain? A business case for buying Northwoods? You are the prime example of what you quesion in others since you buy GEC and sell them for double or tripple what you paid for them, and then you ask if it's a business case. Take a look in the mirror if you wnat to see why people buy Northwoods. Weren't you the guy who recently sold some GEC Northwoods for double or tripple what you paid? It's sad you do the same thing that you question others for doing and then act like you don't get it or do it. People like Northwoods better than run of the mill GEC. Same reason you yourself bought GEC instead of the GEC 15 that it was patterned off. Unbelievable KJ, you buy them too and sell them. You already know and it's sad you pose this question like you don't know when you are a prime example of the very thing you question. Maybe you should examine your own behavior and you'll find the answer to your "why"? Maybe. Maybe not.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

Five different Northwoods #93 Signal Jack choices : Red Linen Micarta (I thought it was bloodwood) , Burnt Sienna jigged bone , appaloosa bone , cocobolo , and mammoth ivory
56677445668799222.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here are a few of the mammoth Signal Jack's that will be sold tomorrow. Looks pretty good. ::drool::
Attachments
FB_IMG_1563910401834.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Why ?
kj

Are you jerking our chain? A business case for buying Northwoods? You are the prime example of what you quesion in others since you buy GEC and sell them for double or tripple what you paid for them, and then you ask if it's a business case. Take a look in the mirror if you wnat to see why people buy Northwoods. Weren't you the guy who recently sold some GEC Northwoods for double or tripple what you paid? It's sad you do the same thing that you question others for doing and then act like you don't get it or do it. People like Northwoods better than run of the mill GEC. Same reason you yourself bought GEC instead of the GEC 15 that it was patterned off. Unbelievable KJ, you buy them too and sell them. You already know and it's sad you pose this question like you don't know when you are a prime example of the very thing you question. Maybe you should examine your own behavior and you'll find the answer to your "why"? Maybe. Maybe not.
I have never seen KJ flipping knives. I have bought many from him and I have encouraged him to ask for more than he does. He has always been more than fair in what he asks and I don’t think he has ever asked for more than any knife is worth.
I on the other hand do view this as both a collecting hobby and a chance to make a profit when I am fortunate enough to get my hands on GEC knives that are hot. Coming from a background of being a stock broker, I know how rare it is to get a chance to buy low and sell high so quickly. It doesn’t happen much in the investment world, as odd as that may seem. So for me, part of the fun is making a profit. Who knows when the steam will run out of this GEC juggernaut?
Having dealt with kj so much, I don’t think your statements and questions are quite accurate.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Well you haven't been around as many years on AAPK as some of us have. We've seen this before ad naseum and all you have to do is go back through the threads and see for yourself if you wish. What is a knife worth? What's your objective formula for determining it? Can you give an objective answer or only a subjective opinion? But here's a fact. A knife is worth what people are willing to pay. And if you think double or triple what a knife sold for at retail isn't making a huge profit or gouging, then that's your opinion. But I've seen the Northwoods you speak about, and the flipping price, and I've seen what he asks and I've seen the huge profit involved. If you deny this, I can show you some PM's that contradict the premise, and that's a fact, not an opinion. I have it in writing. And there's nothing wrong with that. But to ask why other people buy Northwoods, or why they like them while the person buys them themselves, then sells them for huge profits and then throws shade on Northwoods, the company that gave them that chance, is the height of disingenuousness and hypocrisy. And people who buy Northwoods, then sell for two or three hundred percent profit while they ask why other people buy them, is ridiculous, inconsistent, and less than the truth. It's hypocrisy, and sadly speaking out of both sides of their mouth. You can't have it both ways and be consistent. If you buy Northwoods, you shouldn't question other people who do the same thing. If you dish on Northwoods while buying and selling them for profit is nothing but being a parasite on the Northwoods/knives ship free company and brand. Start your own brand and make a better knife before you dish on Northwoods. Name another knife you can buy and sell for 2-3-400% profit when you did nothing to produce or design or help build the brand or work to that end? Show me another knife, any knife, Benchmade, Chris Reeves, Case Tony Bose, Queen, A.G. Russell, Kershaw, or any Custom.... or any other brand that you can buy and sell for 2-400% profit? Show me another company like Northwoods that has GEC do their knives differently that are more popular than GEC themselves? Northwoods deserves praise and appreciation for what they make available to all their customers when there is nothing else on the market who does knives their way. They made GEC make a better knife than even GEC did on their own. I have many Northwoods that are superior to the GEC pattern they used. Derrick Bohn got GEC to build a different, better knife that are more in demand than GEC's own brand. The price reflects it. RIP Derrick Bohn and long live Northwoods for all they do. And thanks for letting all the flippers make so much profit on your knives after doing nothing themselves and then question the brand and other people who buy them.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ivoryman, what's going on for you ? I don't understand the last 2 posts you made. I do not flip knives. Never, not even once.
I have sold some of my GEC's after owning them a few years. The prices i ask are almost always on the low side. What i sell all happens here on AAPK so it can be checked but you won't find any flips because there aren't any.
So what is going on ? Did you confuse me with someone else ?
I think an apology is in order here as your claims about me are simply wrong. My reputation as one who is always fair in all my dealings is important to me.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Oh man...that mammoth sure is pretty.

Good luck to anyone who's going to try to get one. My advice: do not blink; I bet they'll sell out in about 2.2 seconds.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am at my bush place with slowest internet connection in North America. I don't stand a chance. Fastest i could get to KSF and check out would be 5 minutes.
Those are very fine looking mammoth handles. I bet there will be 10 buyers for every mammoth knife who all land on KSF within a few seconds of start time. Those with fastest computer connection will score. The popularity of a mammoth handled GEC knife far outstrips supply.
I hope some of our AAPK'ers score and then of course post pics for the rest of us to see.
kj
eveled

Post by eveled »

I took KJ’s post differently. He was being critical of the knife. Saying the new offering is not as unique or desirable as the earlier offerings.

Saying other than the potential to flip it why would you buy this knife? It’s just not that special.

Maybe I read it wrong ?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

eveled wrote:I took KJ’s post differently. He was being critical of the knife. Saying the new offering is not as unique or desirable as the earlier offerings.

Saying other than the potential to flip it why would you buy this knife? It’s just not that special.

Maybe I read it wrong ?
That's the way I read it and I have had many dealings with with Roland in every one I always felt satisfied that buyer and seller left very satisfied.
Iman must be hot where you are.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Roland always undersells himself. I imagine he is on many here’s alert when posting in the for sales. If he could, he would probably would not sell any knives he’s ever owned.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Sold out in 4 minutes. Somebody likes em. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Got a red micarta and a cocobolo on the way.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That was the smoothest I’ve ever seen on these this time. I was able to get 3, Appaloosa bone, Jigged bone and Cocobolo. At 224 on the mammoth ivory, I passed on those. I’m not buying mammoth any more. Won’t be able to sell them someday soon and that warns me off.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's mine! Not the fanciest of the lot but I'll take it. ::super_happy::
Attachments
northwoods-signal-jack-mammoth-back-78__14101.1563907447.jpg
northwoods-signal-jack-mammoth-front-78__35202.1563907447.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Nice Greg, I only wanted the mammoth and ended up with a decent one after having a very nice blue one snatched from the cart.
Attachments
northwoods-signal-jack-mammoth-front-36__43524.1563907351.jpg
northwoods-signal-jack-mammoth-back-36__91672.1563907351.jpg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Not sure how I ended up with one after losing a little time trying to put the first one in the cart. Even somehow managed to look for one that I liked. It all happened so fast. I think everyone of them where gone in less than 5 minutes. Absolute crazy, but I finally have a Mammoth Nothwoods :D
This pattern certainly has been very popular. Congrats to those who managed to score one.
northwoods-signal-jack-mammoth-front-71__54485.1563907431.jpg
northwoods-signal-jack-mammoth-back-71__24842.1563907431.jpg
-Tim
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Kootenay Joe ought to charge more. I have exchanged many PMS and emails over the years, Roland is one of the more well thought out individuals on here. If you pay attention to the wts board, he generally sells at or below cost. He maintains his preference for the Esky, Willamette, Norfolk level of finish with regards to Northwoods knives. Good for him, he is entitled to his opinion. An apology is most definitely in order. This is the friendly knife forum.

This is my Signal Jack.
20190724_172524.jpg
20190724_172547.jpg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

A lot of variety in the Mammoth. Something for everyone's taste. Good to see some of those here managed to get one. Probably my last Northwood's. I have a lot of nice knives that need to be used, and not sit in a safe. However contentment is a tough foe that I'm always going up against :)
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for your kind words guys. Time to move on.
I was lucky today. Power was out until about 30 minutes ago so i could not even try to participate. Lucky because it saved me from getting frustrated by slow internet speeds (about 60 seconds per mouse click).
Those Mammoths look GREAT ! Congratulations on your dexterity.
And Mark, you passed on the mammoth ! ::uc:: I would have bought it from you and i'm sure there are others here who would also want it. Whatever, it's only a knife, sob, sob ::tear::
kj

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”