Northwoods Ocoee Jack

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Northwoods Ocoee Jack

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Cletus Awreetus wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:39 pm once I missed 2-3 times I just randomly chose Ironwood until I hit. No idea which one I got. I continued to try for a Giraffe but got skunked. There were some really pretty Giraffes I must say. From very green to pale blue and everything in between.

I missed 4 giraffe bones. One had spots like a cheetah, really bummed when that one didn’t go through. But I did score 3 others. I went for the giraffe bone last, my hunch on it was correct. When you get to check out and it’s already sold, you lose a lot of time trying to get another one. So I reversed the order and bought the others first and then went for the giraffe bone. I missed it but got the other 3. My ironwood is very dark, I didn’t bother looking at options, figured I would get skunked if I did. This grasshopper is learning.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I got nothing ! no blues 30 seconds , no acrylic in one minute , I tried for the wood , nothing. How did some people get three ? Somebody is using special buying software ???? When I get mad at GEC and GEC dealers , I go custom !
75429408_1007069159641488_4954114436563468288_n.jpg
74442962_1007069046308166_5121977714294652928_n.jpg
74632530_1007069102974827_756698140052029440_n.jpg
4557688345433.jpg
46588889911114.jpg
tughillbrookie

Post by tughillbrookie »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:30 pm I got nothing ! no blues 30 seconds , no acrylic in one minute , I tried for the wood , nothing. How did some people get three ? Somebody is using special buying software ????
I've wondered this as well. While these knives are so hot and the resale so strong, I doubt people will be very forthcoming with their specific techniques, if there are any. Some have suggested (lamented) that internet speeds are a culprit and then go on to blame knivesshipfree.

I've been skunked before and I didn't like the feeling. For me, it makes the next score all the more rewarding. This time I got one. Next time I may not.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

I went in only wanting an ironwood with figure, I've also become tired of the Bohncliffe and don't think it belongs on the 92 frame, looks out of place to me so had no intention of getting any of the other handles. I lucked out and did get a figured one.
Attachments
northwoods-ocoee-jack-desert-ironwood-2__79801.1572980301.jpg
northwoods-ocoee-jack-desert-ironwood-back-2__85127.1572980301.jpg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I got rid of my straight edge 92s over the last year as they weren't for me, so I didn't have alot of enthusiasm for this drop. That changed when J saw the stragglers tab. 1 sawcut Madison Barlow scratched the itch.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That is Great looking Ironwood posted 2 above.
Where is the "stragglers tab" ? Does this only show up at same time as a new Northwoods release ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My 3 arrived today. Extremely happy with all three. I was afraid the Ironwood would disappoint but it didn’t. Thought I would end up selling it but I am very pleased with it. The back actually looks better than the front.
Attachments
IMG_1588.jpeg
IMG_1594.jpeg
IMG_1591.jpeg
IMG_1592.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 pm My 3 arrived today. Extremely happy with all three. I was afraid the Ironwood would disappoint but it didn’t. Thought I would end up selling it but I am very pleased with it. The back actually looks better than the front.
That’s quite impressive to score three with even the blue sawcut :shock:
Which is your favorite?
-Tim
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I scored a giraffe. It is mostly green with hints of yellow and blue. I put it beside the GEC 92 Eureka and removed the secondary blade on the Eureka. My opinion is the Ocoee would look better with a spear blade.
Attachments
92 Eureka comared to 92 Ocoee #3 FB.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

FarSide wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:53 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 pm My 3 arrived today. Extremely happy with all three. I was afraid the Ironwood would disappoint but it didn’t. Thought I would end up selling it but I am very pleased with it. The back actually looks better than the front.
That’s quite impressive to score three with even the blue sawcut :shock:
Which is your favorite?
The green is my favorite. I’m very partial to green bone. But the ironwood is a close second.
Ralph you are right this would look and be better with a spear blade.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Mine arrived yesterday, nice knife but I prefer the 2 blade 92, I really use that coping blade a lot, works great on packages. The 92 looks better with the spear in my opinion, just something off with the Bohncliff in the 92 frame.
Attachments
IMG_1001.jpg
IMG_0996.jpg
IMG_0997.jpg
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

JohnR wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:08 pm Mine arrived yesterday, nice knife but I prefer the 2 blade 92, I really use that coping blade a lot, works great on packages. The 92 looks better with the spear in my opinion, just something off with the Bohncliff in the 92 frame.
iF YOU DECIDE TO SELL OR TRADE THE IRONWOOD OCOEE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS, RICK ::groove::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Congrats to all who got one of these great looking knives. I'm afraid I got shut out on this round. Maybe next time! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Ironwood on these ones is most attractive but i think the blade design prevents it from being "Oh Wow !"
kj
tughillbrookie

Post by tughillbrookie »

I really like the blade design. As someone who was late to the game and hasn't been able to get a Fremont Jack, this is a nice knife. I especially like the curvature of the handle compared to the Signal Jack. I'm bummed I wasn't able to get a Mammoth Signal Jack, but I'll live.

I've been carrying/using my Ocoee Jack now since it arrived after its drop. It's a good blade. Easy to sharpen. Utility is good. I'm a fan.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I got shut out on the drop but finally found a trade partner and this one in Giraffe bone arrived today. ::super_happy::
Attachments
IMG_6267 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Lots of character in those giraffe scales. ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

You did good Greg. Lovely. ::tu:: ::tu::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Thanks Gary and Floyd!
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Nice one!
-Tim
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

gsmith7158 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:30 pm I got shut out on the drop but finally found a trade partner and this one in Giraffe bone arrived today. ::super_happy::
Wow Greg, that is a nice looking knife. It has a very “classic” look to it.
What is that big Northwoods leather looking background?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Thanks Mark! That's a leather desk caddy that Knives Ship Free sold for a while. I don't know whether they still have them or not but they are very nice. It was $49.99.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

Giraffe Ocoee.
ocoee.jpg

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”