Northwoods Forest Jack

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Northwoods Forest Jack

Post by gsmith7158 »

I noticed that there wasn't a thread for these so I thought I would start one. These were made in 2013 on the 54 Frame.
#54 Burnt Stag 55 pcs. no # #54 Pioneer Bone 47 pcs. no # #54 Yellow Bone 1 pc. no # #54 Dark Green Camel Bone 4 pcs. no # #54 Brown Camel Bone 2 pcs. no # #54 Purple Camel Bone 5 pcs. no # #54 Black Camel Bone 3 pcs. no # #54 Green/White Camel Bone 6 pcs. no # #54 Blue Camel Bone 3 pcs. no # #54 White/Black Camel Bone 1 pc. no # #54 Smooth Calico Bone 50 pcs. no #
This one is one that has some customizing done to it with a Krien regrind to the blade and an easy open cut out. I would love to see some more. Show us what you have. :D
Attachments
IMG_6092 (2).JPG
IMG_6094 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Log Cabin Knives

Re: Northwoods Forest Jack

Post by Log Cabin Knives »

Beautiful! ::tu:: Something about an EO that just works for me and on this fantastic looking Jack it looks awesome! ::tu::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That's awesome, Greg!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Really nice!
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I like the Forest Jack and prefer it to the Fremont. The Fremont is 3 3/4" and a sleeveboard frame with caps. All of this i would normally go for ++ but the Fremont has the Bohncliffe blade which i think detracts from the overall usefulness.
The Forest Jack is equal end and has a really fine Spearpoint blade which i think makes it a superior knife.
The Bear Lake has a similar blade but is smaller.
Would be neat to see a picture of a Forest Jack and a Bear Lake to see the comparison.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 am I like the Forest Jack and prefer it to the Fremont. The Fremont is 3 3/4" and a sleeveboard frame with caps. All of this i would normally go for ++ but the Fremont has the Bohncliffe blade which i think detracts from the overall usefulness.
The Forest Jack is equal end and has a really fine Spearpoint blade which i think makes it a superior knife.
The Bear Lake has a similar blade but is smaller.
Would be neat to see a picture of a Forest Jack and a Bear Lake to see the comparison.
kj
Per your request Roland , a bear lake and a forest jack for comparison. :D
Attachments
IMG_6105 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Thanks for sharing, eo mod looks badass. I’m looking for one there a little hard to come by.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Greg. As i thought in my 'mind's eye', the Bear Lake is somewhat like a scaled down Forest Jack; both are barehead jacks and blades have a very similar spear point grind. It is a very pleasing pattern in both sizes.
I did have a Forest Jack which i sold some years ago. I'm pretty sure it had factory mammoth handles even though i do not see mammoth in the list of handle materials in o.p.
Northwoods would do well with a second release of the Forest Jack.
Does GEC have a sleeveboard frame that is larger than the Bear Lake ? i.e. would be neat to have a sleeveboard pattern the size of the Forest Jack.
kj
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

My one and only wharncliffe FJ in cocobolo
Attachments
AA3C604F-49B3-42CC-88E7-39F07A555FB4.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Very nice Buckibbq! Cocobello is stunning on a big knife like that. I was able to find a buddy for my EO. It arrived today . Calico bone.
Attachments
IMG_6210 (2).JPG
IMG_6208 (2).JPG
IMG_6219 (2).JPG
IMG_6222 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Some beautiful knives there. I always appreciate the EO's. All lovely. ::nod:: ::tu::
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

That calico bone is pretty sweet! That’s one of the covers I’m missing in my Fremont collection. Haven’t seemed to run across one yet.
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
Colenolte1

Post by Colenolte1 »

Love the thread!
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Latest Forest Jack addition in Mammoth. These knives have the hardest pull of any Northwoods I have. Not complaining, either.
1B05120E-DA0B-451A-A264-BE7ABD5289D3.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Lovely. Congrats. ::tu::
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

doglegg wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 pm Lovely. Congrats. ::tu::
Thank ya, sir!

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”