I’m out

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I’m out

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I thought long and hard about it and decided that I won’t collect Northwoods anymore. At least until KSF upgrades their checkout process and makes it like DLT. Since I doubt that they will upgrade, I am calling it quits on the Northwoods collection. The good news is that I have listed all of my small collection for sale here in my store first. There are 9 total and one has already sold. There are Ocoee Jacks, Desert Ironwood, Blue Sawcut Bone, Tractor Green Jigged Bone. Signal Jacks, Sienna Bone, Cocobolo and Appaloosa bone. 2 Coolidge Jacks, Black Linen Micarta and Kudu Bone. One Fayette Jack in Black Linen Micarta.
I will move these to Ebay after a few days, just wanted to let my buddies here have first shot at them.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I’m out

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:00 am I thought long and hard about it and decided that I won’t collect Northwoods anymore. At least until KSF upgrades their checkout process and makes it like DLT. Since I doubt that they will upgrade, I am calling it quits on the Northwoods collection. The good news is that I have listed all of my small collection for sale here in my store first. There are 9 total and one has already sold. There are Ocoee Jacks, Desert Ironwood, Blue Sawcut Bone, Tractor Green Jigged Bone. Signal Jacks, Sienna Bone, Cocobolo and Appaloosa bone. 2 Coolidge Jacks, Black Linen Micarta and Kudu Bone. One Fayette Jack in Black Linen Micarta.
I will move these to Ebay after a few days, just wanted to let my buddies here have first shot at them.

Wow! I haven't followed Northwoods. How much were they originally??
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Can't say I blame you Mark. I had a friend tell me of his many experiences of trying to buy a Northwoods right when they dropped. It's like diving into a lake full of Piranha. I think I'll just stick with the old faithful: 60's & 70's Case. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Northwoods offerings of the last 2-3 or so years have not been any more 'special' than the regular GEC releases. Some years back Northwoods had top notch handles like mammoth & Giraffe bone but the more recent ones often have Micarta handles.
I don't see any point in continuing to collect any new Northwoods knives. The 'older' ones are definitely worth collecting.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

edge213 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:21 am Wow! I haven't followed Northwoods. How much were they originally??
Generally, the ones I purchased from Knives Ship Free (KSF) cost less than half of what they're typically selling for now on the secondary market (in some cases less than a third).
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 am
edge213 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:21 am Wow! I haven't followed Northwoods. How much were they originally??
Generally, the ones I purchased from Knives Ship Free (KSF) cost less than half of what they're typically selling for now on the secondary market (in some cases less than a third).
Thank you
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

Every time I try to buy a Northwoods , I fail !
9999000677344221112.png
9999000677344221112.png (137.73 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I recall buying new mammoth handled Northwoods from KSF for $240. Other handle materials were considerably less.
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

I have been trying to buy a Northwoods since 2018 . I just wanted only one , the right one. My computer is slow and old. I can't stand that selfish red headed jerk. KnivesShipFree Stinks ! I don't even want one in my collection. KSF sells 1200 to 1500 GEC knives a year. This hurts the smaller GEC dealers. I am tired Flippers with bootleg buying software buying 4 knives in 30 seconds and I can't even buy one. The smaller GEC dealers like Mr. Frank really care about helping me buy the knives of my dreams. I did buy a KSF magnetic slip and they are all gone now. Mike Latham is selling Italian made magnetic slips and they are superb. I am done with KSF and Northwoods !
lMrnR0J.jpg
lMrnR0J.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

onearm, what is a "magnetic slip" ?
thanks, kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I think you are right about giving your business where it’s appreciated.

So far 4 of the 9 have sold, Signal Jack Cocobolo is sold, the Fayette Jack Black Linen Micarta is sold, the Signal Jack Sienna Bone is sold and the Ocoee Jack Desert Ironwood is sold.
I appreciate the support. Glad I offered them here first before moving to Ebay. I will leave the remaining 5 here for a few more days. When they go to Ebay the prices will be at least 10% higher.
Looking forward to moving on to other knives.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:43 am I can't stand that selfish red headed jerk. KnivesShipFree Stinks !
I assume you're referring to Derrick Bohn. The man that did a ton of KSF and Northwoods videos.

If that's who you're referring to, he's the former owner of KSF. Derrick passed away unexpectedly on May 22, 2018 of a brain aneurysm and he was not a selfish man.

For example, he implemented a "Knives For Kids" program in which he offered a free Buck 285 Bantam to any parent who wanted to give their child his/her first knife. 4,000 Bantams were given away to happy children. That's just one of the countless contributions this good man made to the knife community.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Onearmbladejunkie

Oooops , I hate trash talking about the dead. Sorry about that. I still don't like KnivesShipFree ! I do like to talk bad about dead politicians ! That's different ! I made a monkey out of myself again !
1904171_1075821492444944_3279304317490200918_n.jpg
1904171_1075821492444944_3279304317490200918_n.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
Onearmbladejunkie

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:26 am onearm, what is a "magnetic slip" ?
thanks, kj
Mike Latham sells Italian made leather magnetic slips . I have a KnivesShipFree magnetic slip that has been discontinued . There is a magnet in the slip and the other magnet is in the flap. The slip stays at the top in your paints pocket. The beautiful CK flap is on the outside of your pants. I keep my knife tip up in my slip. I can grab my knife tip up in one second . No fumbling around grabbing for your knife/cheap slip in your pocket. The Italian magnetic slip is simpler made than the Northwoods , better priced , and I love it. Worth every dime for one arm me !
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks !
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:26 am onearm, what is a "magnetic slip" ?
thanks, kj
I could not save the CK magnetic slip on my computer. Here is the discontinued Northwoods magnetic slip to give you a better idea. I own both. I like simpler Italian sheath better and the price.
OIPCVJ12YSC.jpg
OIPCVJ12YSC.jpg (30.55 KiB) Viewed 3827 times

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”