Testing the Edge

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
StrawHat

Re: Testing the Edge

Post by StrawHat »

Alien883 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:34 am
StrawHat wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:57 am I see in this section many threads about various ways to achieve a sharp edge. What I do not see is how you are testing that edge to determine if it is sharp.

So, boys and girls, what is your favorite method for testing the edge of a newly sharped blade?

Thank you.

Kevin
Roll up ur pants and start shaving ur leg...hair come off...Sharp!!!!
Since I work in various storefront, probably not.

Receipt paper will do. I was just looking for what others might use.

Thank you all!

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Over the years I’ve learned to judge by feeling the edge with a light touch of my thumb. (Once had one so sharp that just touching it lightly cut me. ::woot::). Other than that I always found newsprint to be a good test. I no longer subscribe to the newspaper but keep some around just for that purpose. A little goes a long way.

That and starting a fire is about all a “news”paper is good for nowadays.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I use receipt paper and mail-order catalogs. There is a certain conglomerate who sends catalogs faster than I can slice them up!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 am I use receipt paper and mail-order catalogs. There is a certain conglomerate who sends catalogs faster than I can slice them up!
I similarly use the frequent, redundant, and wasteful NRA mailings to do the slice test.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:45 pm
Dan In MI wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:17 am I use receipt paper and mail-order catalogs. There is a certain conglomerate who sends catalogs faster than I can slice them up!
I similarly use the frequent, redundant, and wasteful NRA mailings to do the slice test.
Great idea OC! It seems within a month of renewing my NRA membership I start getting renewal notices. It's becoming so annoying that I don't renew my membership until they send me a discounted offer to renew after my membership lapses. They would have a lot more money to spend on legislation if they stop sending out all the mailers, and buying cheap Chinese knives as a premium!

To stay on topic, I test larger knives on a tightly rolled piece of old blue jeans material, about 3/8 in diameter. It's tough material and not easily cut unless the edge is sharp. If the edge will cut through the blue jean material cleanly, without a lot of pressure, it is sharp. Often times blade thickness works against this test, but it will tell you if the edge is not sharp, even with a thick blade. You can definitely tell if the blade is not grabbing and cutting the material.

Regarding testing sharpness on tomatoes or other vegetables / fruit; that will indeed give you a good indicator of the knives sharpness, but be sure to clean the blade well afterwards with soap and water because the acid in a tomato or other fruits will definitely affect the edge, especially with carbon steel. The Henckles rep told me many years ago that the juice of a tomato will even a stainless knife.

Many times I find that a knife doesn't need to be sharpened, only cleaned. I use a spray called
Blade and Bit Cleaner to clean knife blades before sharpening and generally also after sharpening. I was amazed to find that many knives have a layer of food or other particles on them. Often just cleaning the blade restores 80 to 90% of the sharpness. I don't like to remove metal unless I have to. A cleaning with Blade and Bit Cleaner and stropping if necessary takes care of most of my kitchen knives
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I hate wastage and stuffing up the planet. And as Dale said in the previous post, the amount of advertising material wasted is mind blowing, as is useless packaging. I use this as testers for edges rather than just put it into landfill. I understand it will eventually end up in landfill, but at least it serving some purpose before it does.
IMG_20230618_102902.jpg

Return to “Sharpening Forum”