Lansky got a workout today

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Maddogfl

Lansky got a workout today

Post by Maddogfl »

I was going to clean up my barn/workshop today, but I had a terrible nights sleep last night as a result of eating my own cooking. I didn't feel like doing crap, so I decided to sharpen the kitchen knives. One thing led to another and I spent the whole day grinding on blades. I did something that I never do, I is cut myself and I did it twice! Not paying sufficient attention. I just put my mind in neutral and vegged out.

I have never been good at sharpening knives freehand, I just don't have the knack, so I cheat with the Lansky. It does fine for my needs. If I weren't such a cheapskate, I would get a Wicked Sharp, but I am so I won't. I was even too tight to by Lansky's mount! I get my knives functionally sharp plus a little for bragging rights with the device and that is what counts.
Attachments
DSCN2535.JPG
cudgee

Re: Lansky got a workout today

Post by cudgee »

Maddogfl wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:20 pm I was going to clean up my barn/workshop today, but I had a terrible nights sleep last night as a result of eating my own cooking. I didn't feel like doing crap, so I decided to sharpen the kitchen knives. One thing led to another and I spent the whole day grinding on blades. I did something that I never do, I is cut myself and I did it twice! Not paying sufficient attention. I just put my mind in neutral and vegged out.

I have never been good at sharpening knives freehand, I just don't have the knack, so I cheat with the Lansky. It does fine for my needs. If I weren't such a cheapskate, I would get a Wicked Sharp, but I am so I won't. I was even too tight to by Lansky's mount! I get my knives functionally sharp plus a little for bragging rights with the device and that is what counts.
What ever works for you my friend. ::tu:: If you want to add to your sharpening kit on a budget though, the knock off Edge Pro design sharpeners are worth a look at, about 15-25 dollars. Have a look at the Edge Pro website instruction videos and see what you think. Just a suggestion my friend.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:39 pm
Maddogfl wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:20 pm I was going to clean up my barn/workshop today, but I had a terrible nights sleep last night as a result of eating my own cooking. I didn't feel like doing crap, so I decided to sharpen the kitchen knives. One thing led to another and I spent the whole day grinding on blades. I did something that I never do, I is cut myself and I did it twice! Not paying sufficient attention. I just put my mind in neutral and vegged out.

What ever works for you my friend. ::tu:: If you want to add to your sharpening kit on a budget though, the knock off Edge Pro design sharpeners are worth a look at, about 15-25 dollars. Have a look at the Edge Pro website instruction videos and see what you think. Just a suggestion my friend.
Thank you, I will look!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Maddogfl wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:20 pm
cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:39 pm

Thank you, I will look!
If you need any help, advise or other information do not hesitate to ask me, either here or by private message. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. ::handshake::
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I like the homemade clamp mount / holder ... purty slick.
I have the Lansky mount, and would clamp it to the edge of the table,
but over time I've gotten to where I just hold the clamp/knife in my left hand.

::tu:: ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

royal0014 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:49 am I like the homemade clamp mount / holder ... purty slick.
I have the Lansky mount, and would clamp it to the edge of the table,
but over time I've gotten to where I just hold the clamp/knife in my left hand.

::tu:: ::tu::
I have had the Lansky for decades and always held it by hand. The base gives so much more control that I can't believe that I did not do it earlier. I get far better results with the unit fixed. It also reduces hand fatigue which becomes more important the older your hands get. My hand shook with Moses.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”