Best Stone for Case Surgical Stainless

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Fisher

Best Stone for Case Surgical Stainless

Post by Fisher »

Have several newer Case pocket knives with stainless blades that need sharpened up. Have a whole drawer of diamond steels that even when cleaned and paying attention to the angle just don't seem to put the original factory edge back on. Now thinking I might pick up a combination non-diamond stone to try with water or oil. Any thoughts or advice?
FRJ

Re: Best Stone for Case Surgical Stainless

Post by FRJ »

If you get a 6 or 8 inch Washita or 800 grit water stone, that should tame that stainless steel.
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Fisher wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm Have several newer Case pocket knives with stainless blades that need sharpened up. Have a whole drawer of diamond steels that even when cleaned and paying attention to the angle just don't seem to put the original factory edge back on. Now thinking I might pick up a combination non-diamond stone to try with water or oil. Any thoughts or advice?
Case say to sharpen their knives at 15 degrees per side, i could never get mine really sharp, i know why. I measured any new Case knife i got from the factory with an angle cube, everyone was 25 degrees. So that is a lot steeper then 15 degrees, that could be your issue, check the bevel angle with a sharpie. You say you have a drawer of diamond steels, do you mean like butchers steels?
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Thanks
JerseyDoug

Post by JerseyDoug »

cudgee wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:30 pm
Fisher wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:19 pm Have several newer Case pocket knives with stainless blades that need sharpened up. Have a whole drawer of diamond steels that even when cleaned and paying attention to the angle just don't seem to put the original factory edge back on. Now thinking I might pick up a combination non-diamond stone to try with water or oil. Any thoughts or advice?
Case say to sharpen their knives at 15 degrees per side, i could never get mine really sharp, i know why. I measured any new Case knife i got from the factory with an angle cube, everyone was 25 degrees. So that is a lot steeper then 15 degrees, that could be your issue, check the bevel angle with a sharpie. You say you have a drawer of diamond steels, do you mean like butchers steels?
I am new to the forum and sharpening. I have noticed Case isn't really clear about the proper angle to sharpen their pocket knives. Insert included with some of my knives says 15 degrees. Insert included with their sportsman's kit says 22.5 degrees. (I assume this is more appropriate with their fixed blades.)

I have been having trouble getting a truly sharp edge on both my SS and CV blades. I tried 22.5 and 20 degrees. Meh. I then tried 15 degrees and that was the best edge to date. So, I'm going with 15 degree for the time being. I use those little angle blocks to make an attempt at consistency.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”