Sharpening Stones........How do you sharpen your knives?

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
carvin don
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Sharpening Stones........How do you sharpen your knives?

Post by carvin don »

rayban wrote:Don, we gots to get you some wheels!!
Do all those puppies turn at once??!!
:lol: :lol: Yes sir, Rick, those puppies all turn at once. They rotate at about 1725 RPM. The bottom row of wheels are paper, although I have not really used them. The Big Wheels on the top row are, 100 grit, then 120 grit, then the leather wheel (for removing the burr) followed by a buffing/polishing wheel. Depending on the condition of the tool, I may only need to buff or strop it. I gotta' tell 'ya, it really speeds the sharpening/honing process up, especially if you are in the middle of carving and chip/nick a tool, to repair it by hand slows me down considerably, whereas this 'ol boy shapes her up in seconds. ::tu::

Keep 'em Sharp!
Don
rayban

Post by rayban »

I never thought about it but I'm sure you whittling types must be sharpening your tools constantly. Very cool set-up you got going on there ::tu::
trail

Post by trail »

I use a GATCO jig. I don't have the eye or dexterity to hold a good angle freehand, so the jig is just the ticket. I find sharpening to be great fun, and all my knives are plenty sharp now. I've even started sharpening kitchen knives for my lady friends - and believe me, most of them have large collections of dull knives. I've gotten to see some nice old knives that way, and the ladies are delighted to have someone to do this for them.

A good friend tells me there used to be an old blind man who came around the neighborhood in our town and sharpened knives for the local housewives. He could do a whole kitchen full in just a few minutes and charged next to nothing. Those days are gone and now I think most housewives just buy a new one when the old knife gets dull (as little as most of them cook, that's probably not too often).
icemilk

Post by icemilk »

Hello All, You know the best deer hunters I know bag a buck every season with one bullet. and the best knife sharpeners get thier knives real sharp while removing the least amount of metal as possible. There is more than one way to skin a cat and we all have a way we perfer to sharpen knives. Am I talking in riddles again ? Sorry.
Wow! That baby is sharp.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I use a variety of methods depending on what I need to sharpen.
I some cases I may use a belt sander to sharpen.
For more precision work or to remove steel without heating the steel I use a wet grinder.
I almost always finish out each blade on my Powr Strop, seen here on the left hand side of the Jet buffer.
The Powr Strop is just a 6" leather wheel used with jeweler's rouge to de-burr and polish the edge.
I also have a 4" "V" shaped Powr Strop that attaches to an electric drill. I use it for sharpening serrated edges and wood gouges.
I have diamond hones, a whole range of stones, slips, razor hones and the Smith’s system (similar to a Lanski) that I for different tools.
It seems that I am always buying stones and other sharpening implements at estate sales for pennies. I guess I collect sharpening implements as well as knives.

Dale
Attachments
Wet grinder without water tray attached.
Wet grinder without water tray attached.
Wet grinder.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
The Powr Strop is on the left side as you view thispic.
The Powr Strop is on the left side as you view thispic.
Big Buffer b.JPG (50.54 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Tongueriver,

That looks a LOT like the old wheel my grandfather had. The one you posted seems to be missing the rod which connects the foot pedal to the wheel assembly. My grandpa had an old metal tractor seat welded into place so that you could sit down and work the foot pedal and sharpen whatever tool you had on the big ole wheel. Give the wheel a spin to get it started, then pump the foot pedal to keep it going.
You could put a fresh edge on a garden hoe or an axe in nothing flat. I never dared use it on one of my knives. The grit was a bit to agressive for that IMO.
Thanks for posting the pic. ::tu::
Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Ulster

Post by Ulster »

I have a lansky, but recently (after about 20 years) I got my touch back, so I am once again using a smith arkansas grey, and a white for finishing. I then use the inside of whatever belt I happen to be wearing to bring it to shaving sharp. Might be country, but, I am, so...lol
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

The problem with most of those big old foot powered grindstones is lack of care. After the sheds they were under fell down because nobody used the OLD stuff 'cause we got electricity now, the stones were left out in the rain and the freezing weather which pretty much spelled the end of that lovely porous piece of stone. :(
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
grelcar

Post by grelcar »

Miller Brothers,

I have those same Buck stones. The plastic cases are long gone. I'm pretty sure I have had them for at least 30 years. They don't see much use anymore.

I usually use waterstones and will break out the big 10" DMT diamond X-coarse/coarse when I really need to grind some metal. I converted to waterstones some years back to sharpen chisels and wood planes.

I use a leather strop with compound to maintain the edge.

Greg
CaseChaserXX

Post by CaseChaserXX »

Hi, I think I've shown these before, but I haven't posted in awhile so I'll show them again. These are glass filaments from Large industrial lights. I was moving some machinery and we had a Electrician with many, many yrs of experience working with us, This was something cool he past on to me. My knife was in need of sharpening so he went and found some old Light bulbs, broke them carefully and used the filaments to sharpen my knife. I've used them for the last 15yrs since. One is more coarse then the other, and they're about 10 in. long so it works out great. I only sharpen my knives in the living over carpet just in case I drop something.
Attachments
Glass Knife Sharpeners.JPG
JOE

There's Always Room For More!

Store---- Maple Valley Knives

On eBay---- crazymexican22
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

CaseChaserXX wrote:These are glass filaments from Large industrial lights.
So these are what Willie was talking about! 8)

Willie you gotta get me some of these! ::tounge:: :lol:
AAPK Janitor
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

The ones I get are like those but not as big. I'll gather some up in the next month or so. I'll try to get the illumination guys to save me some bulbs. :mrgreen:
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Wullie,

Do you lay yours flat on a table or similar surface and then run the knife blade over it in a fashion similar to what you would do with a oil stone?

I'm wondering if you might use two of those set into a wooden base like a set of crock sticks. ::shrug::

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
lenny357

Post by lenny357 »

2 sided DMT stone Blue and Red one get 154CM and S30V hair popin ::tu::
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

philco wrote:Wullie,

Do you lay yours flat on a table or similar surface and then run the knife blade over it in a fashion similar to what you would do with a oil stone?

I'm wondering if you might use two of those set into a wooden base like a set of crock sticks. ::shrug::

Phil
Depends. :roll: Most of the time nowdays, I slip it along side one fo the Gatco stones and use it to polish the edge. I see no reason why they wouldn't work like a pair of crocksticks. Rest of the time I just freehand it.

Only problem is no two are exactly alike. Some have a bit more bite than others as the gent mentioned in his post where he showed those two MONSTER filaments. I'd hate to pay the freight on running one of those big ol bulbs.

Lemme see how many I can get gathered up and I'll send ya some to play with.
W
buckeyefan

Post by buckeyefan »

How well do the CV blades sharpen up and hold an edge?

Marty
The second mouse always get's the cheese..
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

Chrome Vanadium blades sharpen up very easily and hold a very good edge Marty. Of coarse, this is just my opinion....... but I ain't wrong either. ::sneaky:: ::tu::
buckeyefan

Post by buckeyefan »

Thank you Gunsmoke ::tu::

I should have asked in my first post but, How do you compare the CV to Carbon steel as far as sharpening and holding an edge?

I am trying to get my dad a good EDC but he is a very picky man ::tired:

Thanks,

Marty
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

Marty, in my opinion CV will sharpen every bit as well and hold an edge every bit as well as your good carbon steel. It is more resistant to surface problems than carbon, but it is in no way the same as stainless (in that regaurd). You still need to take care of the blades like you would carbon. I have a couple of inexpensive Case CV's as hard users that I don't take as good of care of as I should, and what I have noticed is that they don't develop an even patina as carbon. In fact, it is more like very large pepper spots. I'll take a pic and show you what I mean in a little bit, Smoke
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

Ok Marty, these are real quick pic's but you will get the jest of what I am talking about. I personally love CV, but you do need to take care of it if you want it to look nice. My opinion only, Smoke
Attachments
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Smoke may I make a suggestion? take a piece of sand paper about 220 grit and clean those big rust spots off and then when you think it is all better open a Coca-cola pour it in a bowl,open all blades and put your knife in it overnight :shock: .In the morning take it out rinse with tap water and oil the joints. ::paranoid:: you will find a wonderful even Patina that you will love on an EDC ::ds:: ::ds:: Here is an example :mrgreen: also I have had no rust since the Coke Spa Treatment 8) and looks really good :mrgreen: The small dark spots you see is where I didn't get all the rust off :oops:
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I had spots like that on my Swayback Jack too.
I put some cold bluing on them and it took care of it.
Besides it looks nice!

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Absintheur

Post by Absintheur »

I have been using a Spyderco Tri-Angle for many many years, has always done a great job for me. Unless i really dulol one up I can normally give a few swipes on the fine stones followed by a stropping and the results are hair popping sharp.

buckeyefan

Post by buckeyefan »

Thanks guys,

Gunsmoke that yellow handle (18?) is actually exactly what Im looking for. I have not been able to locate one thus far, How much do they go for new?

Dont ask me why but my Dad has always liked the yellow stockman. ::shrug::

BIGHEAD,

I love that Coke idea, Its like folic acid right? I read about that in one of your eariler posts, You can bet I will be trying it when the time comes. ::tu::

Marty

Return to “Sharpening Forum”