Freehand Sharpening

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Freehand Sharpening

Post by carrmillus »

vikingdog wrote:There are bits and pieces of info scattered throughout the various forums about freehand sharpening. Any chance of getting some of you Old School guys like me to post your thoughts, techinques, various kind of stones etc. here? Any information about freehand sharpening would be appreciated.

I've always sharpened my knives on a stone but had mixed results. I'm trying to refine my skills with what I learn here. I picked up a good sized carborundum stone at the flea market last week and it seems to do a pretty good job.
mike, i've always used a stone, i have fine, medium , and coarse, and it is something that takes a lot of practice. i have my grandfather's soft arkansas stone which he gave me right before he died in 1953.he showed me how to use it, and after he did, i was always able to sharpen almost anything. by the way, that stone now is about 7/8" thick on the ends, and about 3/8' thick in the center, but it's a treasure, and it still works better than anything i've ever tried.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

"I love old stones and I have blathered far too much about them." No way Joe, I like them too! Thanks for reviving this thread, I'd like to see that blue stone, have you tried it out yet?

Thanks for the post Tommy, I've been using a Spyderco Edgemaker and it does a really nice job without scratching the blades. I still like stones and look for them at the flea market.

I just received a Viking whetstone as a gift from Billswfl. It's a beautiful stone that is hung from a leather cord. Thank you Bill! Check it out:

From Ragnar's website: http://www.ragweedforge.com/SharpeningCatalog.html

"In Viking times small whetstones were often worn as pendants. These are reproductions of whetstone pendants found in a Viking Age ship wreck at Kalåstad, Norway. Similar pendants have been found in York, Birka, and Gotland. They are cut from Jasper, and seem somewhere between the hard black and translucent Arkansas stones. That means they are super fine. They are suitable for the final edge and polish, rather than removing nicks and general sharpening."

The photo is from Ragnar's site too.
Attachments
viking-whetstone.jpg
viking-whetstone.jpg (19.74 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I have been getting EXCELLENT results with the bulb out of some sort of highway light that I got hold of. Seems to be quartz or some such. I gave a hokey little lockback a guy where I pick up freight had a pretty good edge in just a few minutes.
Looking for the magic penny!
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Willie was using them too. Ceramic rods out of highway lamps. I've heard they work very well.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

Mike
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Vikingdog and other members,Thank you so much for this educational info and sharpening lessons. This has been most helpful! ::handshake:: ::tu::

Rocky
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

ROCKY1122 wrote:Vikingdog and other members,Thank you so much for this educational info and sharpening lessons. This has been most helpful! ::handshake:: ::tu::

Rocky

Here! Here! +1
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by buck16 »

JP Dave I keep one in my pocket all the time. I use it to keep whatever I'm carrying tune up.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

[quote="vikingdog"]"I love old stones and I have blathered far too much about them." No way Joe, I like them too! Thanks for reviving this thread, I'd like to see that blue stone, have you tried it out yet?

Mike, yes, I did use that blue stone. You can see the scratches on it. I think someone tried to sharpen a scribe or something similar. There were a lot more scratches on it before I sharpened a couple of my larger kitchen knives on it.
Actually the stone is yellow and blue, as you can see, and from what I read about Belgium stones the yellow is a bit finer than the blue. This may be considered a second rate stone as the two colors are mixed.
Thanks for your comments, Mike. Nice thread.

EDIT: I also wanted to comment on those nice stones you showed, Mike. They are beautiful.
I'll bet Muscrat Man could make some nice handles with them.
Joe
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Does a slurry form when you put water on the stone Joe? I've been reading about the Belgian stones, or Ardennes coticule and they contain garnet. Here's a clip from a site,
http://uk.ardennes-coticule.com/index.asp?id=385

"In honing tools, the wire edge produced from grinding is removed and the cutting edge is polished. While doing this on the water soaked Blue Whetstones something unusual happens. When the cutting edge is drawn across the smooth surface of the stone the fine crystals of garnet are released with particles of stone to produce, in combination with the water a very fine slurry. The garnet crystals cut lightly into the metal taking very fine shavings. The hardness of the garnet allows for a very quick removal of metal, but the roundness allows for a very exact polish of the honed edge. This combination of speed and fineness is world-wide unique. The „Blue Whetstone“ creates a finely honed edge with which makes it is easy to cut through wood fibres."

They are expensive stones, especially the yellow.

Mike
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Yes, Mike, a slurry did form as I sharpened. I didn't use the stone a lot. I said I sharpened a few knives, but I really just touched them up and it happened rather quickly. I'm looking forward to really putting it to work.
I can't believe I scored such a great and fine stone....... for $1.00!
Joe
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

$1.00! Don't you love it when that happens? :D Very nice find. I hope you'll post here when you give the stone a good work out...

Mike
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

vikingdog wrote:$1.00! Don't you love it when that happens? :D Very nice find. I hope you'll post here when you give the stone a good work out...
Mike, I paid $1.00 for each of those stones in that post. I was just giddy. I'll let you know how it cuts.
Thanks.
Joe
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

remington collector wrote:After you finish sharpening your knife, lay it on a table with the edge of the blade facing up, lay a dollar bill across the edge, if the weight of the dollar bill causes it to be cut it half consider the knife sharp enough. :D
:lol: I`d like to see the knife blade that can perform this task!!!!!

Bob
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I got PLENTY of blades that would slice a bill up...

Don't believe one would exist that would do it by the weight of the bill....
Looking for the magic penny!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

At a flea market yesterday I came across this beautiful natural stone. I'm guessing it's hard white Arkansas. I have since cleaned it up.
I've never seen one as big. 12" x 4" x 1 7/8".
The bottom has a odd "cut" started ............ and then a change of mind?
Attachments
DSCN1225.JPG
DSCN1235.JPG
DSCN1237.JPG
DSCN1245.JPG
DSCN1246.JPG
DSCN1253.JPG
Joe
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got a nice sharpening steel at the flea market for 3 bucks and thought I done good but ya'll put my deal to shame. ::tu:: :lol:
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, bighomer. Glad you like it. ::tu:: It cleaned up nice.
Joe
WV Papaw

Post by WV Papaw »

I have to say I really enjoyed this thread! Lots of useful information and tips here for sure.

I have always enjoyed sharpening with a stone or three. I prefer the old ones that were my Dad's and grandfather's but do use diamond stones from time to time, too. Oh, and I like the ceramic rods to finish before I strop, if I feel it needs stropping.

I learned from an old master saddle maker how to sharpen about anything with wet/dry paper and a leather strop. I use that methods mostly on my leather knives but on others too when I take the notion. You sure can get a mirrored edge doing that!
Greg

Return to “Sharpening Forum”