Sharpening Stones thread

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
RalphAlsip

Re: Sharpening Stones thread

Post by RalphAlsip »

This sharpening stone has been in my possession since at least 1968, and in my family for many years before that. It has a very fine surface almost smooth. It is branded "Red Devil S&H CO N.Y. U.S.A". I have seen Red Devil knives (Electrician), but am not very familiar with the brand. The stone is 5 inches long, 2 inches wide, and 7/16" thick.

I would be grateful for any insight / education that could be provided on what this is, who made it, etc.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Red Devil Sharpening Stone
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

It's a razor hone. There was a line of straight razors by the same name. Some were made by Case.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

I also remember Red Devil paint scrapers. Possibly was meant to be used sharpening them??? :)
Don
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Picked this hefty beast up yesterday. The stone is Aloxite by Carborundum and the box is made of one piece of wood.
Top notch work.
Attachments
IMG_6681.JPG
IMG_6683.JPG
IMG_6684.JPG
IMG_6685.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TripleF wrote:Picked this hefty beast up yesterday. The stone is Aloxite by Carborundum and the box is made of one piece of wood.
Top notch work.
Another great find Scott.
A lot of work and detail went into that wood block.
They don"t make em like that any more. :(
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

TripleF wrote:Just stumbled on this tidbit of info:

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Diffe ... 1C117.aspx
One of your great past posts Scott.
It explains many questions I had concerning different sharpening stones and their proper uses.
(I printed it out.)
Thanks, ::nod::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

Posted in Remington knives forum:
5-1/2lbs
R hone 001.JPG
R hone 002.JPG
R hone 003.JPG
R hone 004.JPG
R hone 005.JPG
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Schmoozer - that Remington stone holder is no lightweight! Very cool piece. I am assuming that the stone not the original? The stone looks a lot more pristine than the holder.
Mel
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Here is a Brookstone soft Arkansas stone I recently bought. I use it for my kitchen knifes. It replaces a combination stone that I got a Lowe's (I think) a decade or so ago. The Brookstone is a very nice oil stone in my opinion, though I will admit that I just started using oilstones a couple of years ago, so I am no Old Timer when it comes to oil stones.
Attachments
Soft Arkansas stone and combination stone
Soft Arkansas stone and combination stone
Mel
XxTestedxX

Post by XxTestedxX »

Nice old Cattaraugus stone and box
Attachments
F0C0350C-FC2F-4E14-BAE7-6C684BE19ECB.jpeg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I like that Cattaraugus stone and box. Very nice label. I find it a bit strange that the labeling on new sharpening stones is just plain boring compared to some of the older stones. I recently got a nice new soft Arkansas, but I think the folks who sell them could raise the price a bit if they had some labels reminiscent of the old time boxes.
Attachments
Stones.jpg
Mel
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

My son gave me this for Christmas. So far in my research I have not come across one just like it, there are some similar with a 4 sided taper but this one is square, 6" X 11/16". It is made by Carborundm and what is left of the decal on the handle says: No. 3(?)0, CLOTH CUTTERS KNIFE STONE and of course, Carborundum Niagara Falls surrounding the Indian head. The metal ring between the wood handle and carborundum is stamped CARBORUNDUM. It has to be a specialty item, what do cloth cutters work with that needs sharpening? Scissors or maybe a stationary blade in a sewing factory, tarp manufacturer. ::shrug:: Anyhow it's different. :)
Treefarmer
6" X 11/16" Carburundum square w/4 1/2" wood handle.
6" X 11/16" Carburundum square w/4 1/2" wood handle.

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Back in my days working in the weave shed (loom weaving)
the 'cloth doffers' used knives like these to cut the rolls of cloth from the loom.
They had to be sharpened from time to time, though ours had a medium-sized
flat stone for the task.
These are also called 'shoe knives' which is the term I had to use to find a picture ....

Can't get the picture to load so here's the link ...
https://www.katom.com/135-75330.html?gc ... gLW5_D_BwE
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Thanks for the input, Chris. ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

royal0014 wrote:Back in my days working in the weave shed (loom weaving)
the 'cloth doffers' used knives like these to cut the rolls of cloth from the loom.
They had to be sharpened from time to time, though ours had a medium-sized
flat stone for the task.
These are also called 'shoe knives' which is the term I had to use to find a picture ....

Can't get the picture to load so here's the link ...
https://www.katom.com/135-75330.html?gc ... gLW5_D_BwE
I was able to download the pictures so here are a couple of them, along with the description.
Square Point Shoe Knife, 3-5/8" for cutting, trimming, layering, and splicing such materials as leather, rubber, and plastic. Durable hardwood handles are rounded for comfortable fit. Proudly made in the USA.
Ken
Attachments
55585F5C-4F04-4AEB-B000-D82D36CC0AE7.jpeg
6406034E-7557-4B63-BDE2-786C7906EF81.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

A friend that also likes knives and that I sharpen for gave me this stone last year. It's a fine/coarse. Almost new.
IMG_3121.JPG
A norton pocket stone I like to use. It's some kind of a medium grit, so it can be used for shaping and for sharpening the apex. The other side has norton stamped into it but I don't use that side
IMG_3122.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Tups

Post by Tups »

C2D65535-82C8-4F3C-95C5-40E4BC7E0D73.jpeg
EA4423CC-E13B-468F-8399-A3FA95D03004.jpeg
6820790F-8E4B-4A94-917B-26F1FA7A2A4A.jpeg
Just found this stone at a flea market. Approx. 2 inch wide. 5 inch long. And inch and quarter thick. Very hard. Very smooth. Looks natural not man made. Needs a cleaning. Thinking it’s a hard Arkansas stone. Any other ideas? Thanks. Tups.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Tups wrote:C2D65535-82C8-4F3C-95C5-40E4BC7E0D73.jpegEA4423CC-E13B-468F-8399-A3FA95D03004.jpeg6820790F-8E4B-4A94-917B-26F1FA7A2A4A.jpeg

Just found this stone at a flea market. Approx. 2 inch wide. 5 inch long. And inch and quarter thick. Very hard. Very smooth. Looks natural not man made. Needs a cleaning. Thinking it’s a hard Arkansas stone. Any other ideas? Thanks. Tups.

Knice stone.

I don't know much, but I guage how smooth it is by how porous it is....don't know if that's correct.

Someone here shared how to clean them and I still do it to this day. In a ziplock bag with EASY OFF oven cleaner. Soak for 30 minutes with stone inside.
Works awesome!
SCOTT

mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

KnifeSlinger#81 I believe that Bear brand company stone sells automotive products like front end alignment and head light aiming machines. May have been a gift item?
Tups

Post by Tups »

TripleF. Thanks much for that cleaning tip. After it has soaked in EZ OFF, do you then just rinse it off or is there a lot of scrubbing involved?

Seems to reason that a harder stone would be less porous but like you I am just ruminating. I know just enough to know I don’t know nearly enough. Anyway, I’m hoping this thing is a hard Arkansas so I can find out how that will affect my sharpening.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Tups wrote: Anyway, I’m hoping this thing is a hard Arkansas so I can find out how that will affect my sharpening.

Welcome here, Tups.
The stone appears to be a White Hard Arkansas, but no matter what it is try using it. I suggest using water instead of oil.
If it's a White Hard Arkansas it wont affect your sharpening much unless you have a pretty decent edge on your blade.
That is a hard stone.
A softer stone like a Oushita or Waushita (SP) Arkansas or the coarser carborundum stones (still using water) will give you quicker results because they remove metal faster.
Or even better, use a 500 or 800 grit water stone to create an edge and work on up to your liking.
Buy big stones. The country is awash with large and small stones for cheap. Buy all of them.
It's great to see that you went in the direction of an old timey sharpening stone. ::tu::
Joe
Tups

Post by Tups »

FRJ. Thank you for your reply. I found it helpful. I had not thought of using water on a natural stone but see no reason not to do so. I have been using diamond stones and carborundum for a number of years with good results. I agree they are very efficient. I always finish with a ceramic rod to get my edges nice and sharp. I have never had the opportunity to use a hard Arkansas stone until now. I see lots of carborundum at flea markets and garage sales but this is the first natural I’ve seen. I guess I see the hard Arkansas as a traditional alternative to the ceramic rod.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

::tu::

I have several natural stones and I like them a lot. I hope you enjoy yours. ::handshake::
Joe
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Tups wrote:TripleF. Thanks much for that cleaning tip. After it has soaked in EZ OFF, do you then just rinse it off or is there a lot of scrubbing involved?

Seems to reason that a harder stone would be less porous but like you I am just ruminating. I know just enough to know I don’t know nearly enough. Anyway, I’m hoping this thing is a hard Arkansas so I can find out how that will affect my sharpening.
No scrubbing, the EZ OFF does that, just rinse with warm/hot water!
SCOTT

Tups

Post by Tups »

[image][/image]
F4315744-33AF-4FCF-A204-941EB120305C.jpeg
I cleaned up my stone using the EZ Off method and it worked very well. I am certain it is a hard white Arkansas stone. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”