Sharpening Stones thread

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Sharpening Stones thread

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

A friend that also likes knives and that I sharpen for gave me this stone last year. It's a fine/coarse. Almost new.
IMG_3121.JPG
A norton pocket stone I like to use. It's some kind of a medium grit, so it can be used for shaping and for sharpening the apex. The other side has norton stamped into it but I don't use that side
IMG_3122.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Tups

Post by Tups »

C2D65535-82C8-4F3C-95C5-40E4BC7E0D73.jpeg
EA4423CC-E13B-468F-8399-A3FA95D03004.jpeg
6820790F-8E4B-4A94-917B-26F1FA7A2A4A.jpeg
Just found this stone at a flea market. Approx. 2 inch wide. 5 inch long. And inch and quarter thick. Very hard. Very smooth. Looks natural not man made. Needs a cleaning. Thinking it’s a hard Arkansas stone. Any other ideas? Thanks. Tups.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Tups wrote:C2D65535-82C8-4F3C-95C5-40E4BC7E0D73.jpegEA4423CC-E13B-468F-8399-A3FA95D03004.jpeg6820790F-8E4B-4A94-917B-26F1FA7A2A4A.jpeg

Just found this stone at a flea market. Approx. 2 inch wide. 5 inch long. And inch and quarter thick. Very hard. Very smooth. Looks natural not man made. Needs a cleaning. Thinking it’s a hard Arkansas stone. Any other ideas? Thanks. Tups.

Knice stone.

I don't know much, but I guage how smooth it is by how porous it is....don't know if that's correct.

Someone here shared how to clean them and I still do it to this day. In a ziplock bag with EASY OFF oven cleaner. Soak for 30 minutes with stone inside.
Works awesome!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

KnifeSlinger#81 I believe that Bear brand company stone sells automotive products like front end alignment and head light aiming machines. May have been a gift item?
Tups

Post by Tups »

TripleF. Thanks much for that cleaning tip. After it has soaked in EZ OFF, do you then just rinse it off or is there a lot of scrubbing involved?

Seems to reason that a harder stone would be less porous but like you I am just ruminating. I know just enough to know I don’t know nearly enough. Anyway, I’m hoping this thing is a hard Arkansas so I can find out how that will affect my sharpening.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Tups wrote: Anyway, I’m hoping this thing is a hard Arkansas so I can find out how that will affect my sharpening.

Welcome here, Tups.
The stone appears to be a White Hard Arkansas, but no matter what it is try using it. I suggest using water instead of oil.
If it's a White Hard Arkansas it wont affect your sharpening much unless you have a pretty decent edge on your blade.
That is a hard stone.
A softer stone like a Oushita or Waushita (SP) Arkansas or the coarser carborundum stones (still using water) will give you quicker results because they remove metal faster.
Or even better, use a 500 or 800 grit water stone to create an edge and work on up to your liking.
Buy big stones. The country is awash with large and small stones for cheap. Buy all of them.
It's great to see that you went in the direction of an old timey sharpening stone. ::tu::
Joe
Tups

Post by Tups »

FRJ. Thank you for your reply. I found it helpful. I had not thought of using water on a natural stone but see no reason not to do so. I have been using diamond stones and carborundum for a number of years with good results. I agree they are very efficient. I always finish with a ceramic rod to get my edges nice and sharp. I have never had the opportunity to use a hard Arkansas stone until now. I see lots of carborundum at flea markets and garage sales but this is the first natural I’ve seen. I guess I see the hard Arkansas as a traditional alternative to the ceramic rod.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

::tu::

I have several natural stones and I like them a lot. I hope you enjoy yours. ::handshake::
Joe
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Tups wrote:TripleF. Thanks much for that cleaning tip. After it has soaked in EZ OFF, do you then just rinse it off or is there a lot of scrubbing involved?

Seems to reason that a harder stone would be less porous but like you I am just ruminating. I know just enough to know I don’t know nearly enough. Anyway, I’m hoping this thing is a hard Arkansas so I can find out how that will affect my sharpening.
No scrubbing, the EZ OFF does that, just rinse with warm/hot water!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Tups

Post by Tups »

[image][/image]
F4315744-33AF-4FCF-A204-941EB120305C.jpeg
I cleaned up my stone using the EZ Off method and it worked very well. I am certain it is a hard white Arkansas stone. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Good job, Tups. ::tu::

Nice knife.

By the way, a good hard stone like that will sharpen hooks. ::nod::
Joe
Tups

Post by Tups »

Thanx FRJ. My wife bought me that Buck for Christmas. wasn’t even on my list. What a peach. Btw I sharpened a couple knives on that stone using water. Worked well. How about that. Thanks for your help.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Tups.
That's great that sharpening worked out for you.
Glad to help. ::tu::
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here’s a nice addition for someone’s collection. Not my auction, I’m not bidding (already have one).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CASE-K ... Sw0Axd6wQ0

Ken
Attachments
Case Counter Hone, circa 1960-1970s
Case Counter Hone, circa 1960-1970s
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Found these at an antique shop this weekend.
Attachments
20200302_171545.jpg
20200302_171530.jpg
20200302_171514.jpg
20200302_171442.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very cool, ornate Remington scissors Kieth.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Pretty cool toys! ::tu::
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

This stone belonged to my dad's business partner in the late 60's. He was older and was selling the feed business to my dad. It always sat on the counter and I was fascinated with it. Doesn't have any markings but it is hard. He called it his honing stone. I was fascinated with learning to sharpen a knife so he taught me. His wife gave it to me after he passed in the early 80's.
Bill
Attachments
20200526_221259.jpg
wv trapper

Post by wv trapper »

Welcome to AAPK Beinglis23! I can't say one is any better than the other, my Pop showed me how to sharpen many years ago and he used mineral oil. I use both, when I sharpen with water I will put a few drops of Dawn in my water. Honing oil is mineral oil and can be a little messy.
"Mountaineers are Always Free"
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Beinglis23 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:47 am oil vs water for sharpening stones, which is best
Welcome!!
My Grandfather just spit on the stone.
His knives were sharp enough we'd let him trim our fingernails.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

There are numerous posts in this same thread about sharpening with both. Obviously both methods work. I think if you read through those posts the majority of those who’ve used both say water is as good or better and easier to use, less messy. If you want to read those posts just go to the top of this thread and type “water” into the little box that says “search this topic”. Then press enter and that will bring up only the posts in this thread having “water” in the text. Most of those are about using water to sharpen. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Steve Warden wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:45 pm
Beinglis23 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:47 am oil vs water for sharpening stones, which is best
Welcome!!
My Grandfather just spit on the stone.
His knives were sharp enough we'd let him trim our fingernails.
The stone posted above was always used with spit to my knowledge also. :D
Bill
rolas

Post by rolas »

I really enjoy the old stones
Attachments
0-4 3.jpg
rolas

Post by rolas »

the labels of the old Pike Washita's are amazing, I can't get enough of them, so cool
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 8.12.22 AM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 8.24.51 AM.jpeg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

These are wonderful old labels and I love old sharpening stones of all kinds and use all kinds and sizes of them
and I wish more people would think of them as valuable sharpening tools. They certainly are.
Joe

Return to “Sharpening Forum”