Sharpening systems, free hand, choices

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Re: Sharpening systems, free hand, choices

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

My newly learned method, after a lifetime of no method, and never a sharp knife, is simple. I have a new, HF cheapo, large, two sided stone and a older two sided and much finer one. Instead of running the knife on the stone I hold the knife and polish the edge with the stone. It seems easier to hold an angle and goes really quickly. I doubt my knives come out better than anyones here but they all turn out pretty well or better.
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I use a Smith's 6 inch fine diamond hone mounted on wood block that I've used for the last 15 years. It never seems to shoe wear and puts a hair popping edge on pocket knives, fixed blades and kitchen knives.. I do also have a Smith's version of the Lansky system that I use if re-profiling is called for.
Perception is Reality
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I use this crock stick setup after sharpening with the Lansky to remove the wire edge and really smooth things up. It will also touch up an edge that is still relatively sharp. When I first got it, I had to laugh at the printed instructions that came with it, especially the part about sharpening knives when drunk, partially drunk, or just drinking. But it probably is good advice for everyone sharpening no matter what method you are using.
IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2554.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I like to free hand sharpen. I use a soft novaculite Arkansas stone to start. Then go to a medium novaculite Arkansas stone. Then finish with a black novaculite stone. After stoning I finish with a white strop compound. Green compound. Then finish with a red compound. You can lay the blade on a fresh tomato and cut thru with little pressure applied.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

I use a Sharpmaker for touch ups, but mostly all freehand on Shapton glass stones. I have and use also a set of DMT, Dan's black novaculite, Norton silicone carbide and Norton combination waterstone. I use an Atoma 140 for re-profile and stone flattening.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

I use the Edge Pro simply because no matter how long I tried I could not get the hang of freehand. My brother can freehand sharpen to an astounding edge and he tried to show me many times but it's just not in my stash of abilities. That said I find it easy to freehand maintain an edge that I've sharpened on the EP. I like to go 38 deg inclusive on most blades, it makes any touch ups while I'm away from home much easier.
Trace
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

At a Goodwill Store yesterday I bought a Smiths 50378 electric diamond sharpener. For $6.00. Just watched a YouTube video on using it.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

mrwatch wrote:At a Goodwill Store yesterday I bought a Smiths 50378 electric diamond sharpener. For $6.00. Just watched a YouTube video on using it.
They gave it to you MR. Great buy. ::nod::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I use Lanskey Crock Sticks and touch ups on the bottom of a coffee ☕cup! I got 2 large bench stones ,small stones and some Harbor freight Diamond ones I got for free. I also got a nice Ark Black barber's stone. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”