First forum post:Sharpening devices for knives and razors.

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
knife7knut

First forum post:Sharpening devices for knives and razors.

Post by knife7knut »

Just noticed this forum so I thought I would be the first to inaugurate it.
Have a bunch of old sharpening tools some of which actually work! I'll try and describe them as best I can.
First up is your Apex combination knife sharpener/glass cutter/bottle opener. Seems that these multi-tools were very popular at one time and it seemed like almost a competition to see how many tools they could get into one tool.
Second is a device for sharpening double edged razor blades. The blade is loaded into the tool and it automatically sets the correct angle and is run across the stone;then flipped over and the other side is done.
Third is another hand held sharpener. These actually don't work too badly if you're just trying to straighten an edge.
Last one is called the,"Master Sharpener". Has an angled clamp with a piece of file under it .The knife lays in the groove setting the blade at the proper angle and the knife drawn across the file.Flip it over to do the other side. Actually works pretty good once you get the hang of it.
Attachments
ApexKnifeSharpener-BottleOpener-GlassCutterNP 001.jpg
BladeSharpener1 002.jpg
BladeSharpener1 004.jpg
E.C.HarleyCo.Pat'Aug822 001.jpg
H.R.Ransom&Co.ColdwaterMichKnifeSharpener1.JPG
MasterSharpener$2.25 001.jpg
MasterSharpener$2.25 005.jpg
HowToUseTheMasterSharpener 001.jpg
HowToUseTheMasterSharpener 002.jpg
HowToUseTheMasterSharpener 004.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knife7knut

Re: First forum post:Sharpening devices for knives and razors.

Post by knife7knut »

A few more:
First up is my usual stone:a Carborundum Duo Stone 2x13".Stone has two sides that rotate into position by pulling out on knob and twisting 180 degrees.
Next is a Kriss Kross razor blade sharpener. Blade is clamped in tool and laid against surface.Rotating crank causes the sharpening surface to turn and after a few revolutions the blade is automatically flipped over.
Next is a straight razor stropping tool. The blade is clamped in the tool and tool is hung on a hook. Two straps are alternately pulled down which lays the blade against the strop at the proper angle so both sides are done.
Next is a W.R.Case and Sons razor hone.
Last up is a Smith's serrated sharpener.Tapered diamond tool extends out of handle to whatever depth you need and is pushed across serrations to sharpen.A groove cut into the tool sharpens fish hooks as well. Makes sharpening serrations easy.
Attachments
Carborundum Duo-Stone No.92 002.jpg
KrissKrossSharpener 002.jpg
KrissKrossSharpener 004.jpg
MLBrandt1.jpg
MLBrandt3.jpg
MLBrandt4.jpg
RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 350.jpg
SmithsSerrated Sharpener 001.jpg
SmithsSerrated Sharpener 003.jpg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Wow! Neat collection!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

I have an unused Smith tool for at least 25 yrs
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great choice for the first topic on the new sharpening forum! Kudos Ray! ::tu::
I will start out by posting pictures of my SPEEDO because I know y'all wanted to see a fat guy's Speedo!

The Speedo is fairly simple and self-explanatory, Screw it down to a table and turn the hand crank to operate the sharpener.
Notice It will also sharpen scissors if needed. I have used this to sharpen scissors and actually works far better than it looks like it would.
Speedo 1.jpg
Speedo 2.jpg
Speedo 3.jpg
Speedo 4.jpg
Speedo5.jpg

This is an old antique wet grinder that is probably older than I am. We had this when I was a kid except the motor didn't work because didn't have electricity on the ranch. I use this for a few years when I started working on knives.
Wet Grinder.jpg
and then I bought a more compact modern wet grinder and it was replaced last year with this Wen wet grinder made to sharpen wood carving tools and woodworking tools. It's kind of like a poor man's version of a Tormek sharpener for woodworking tools. I believe the same machine is available from Grizzly Tools as well. The Wen grinder is currently selling on eBay for under $150 well a full-blown Tormek outfit can be closer to a grand.
Wen wet grinder 2017.jpg
As you can see I like antique tools, but when it comes to using them a lot and getting the job done, I do like modern tools at least sometimes. :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Great stuff Dale! I'm going to have to dig around a bit for some more stuff. I do have a small hand cranked grinder in the shop that has a rubber abrasive wheel on it.Tried it a few times with mixed results.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Thought i should give this thread a kick along. Just stumbled across this latest release Wick Edge Sharpener. Looks fantastic, i have no experience with them, but the down side, in my opinion anyway, the price $899. I don't know what these wicked edge systems start at, but i would imagine at that price they would have a limited market. But they would do their research and not manufacture them if they did not have a market. But when i think about it, when i see some of the prices that knives are bringing, nothing surprises me any more. ::mdm:: :) :) :) Would like to hear from members who have experience with these systems and hear your opinions, and just opinions in general, i always want to hear and learn more about sharpening. ::tu::
Wicked Edge..jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It’s interesting cudgee but I cannot understand why anyone would spend that much for it. If you want a clamp guided system a Lansky or several others are excellent options, for about 10% of that price. Personally I’ll take my freehand stones, or my Worksharp Guided Sharpener, again at 10% of the cost or less. Must be some double-throw-down super duper aspect I’m missing. :lol: I guess maybe you’re paying for the “micro adjustments of .05 degrees” (which is IMHO useless overkill).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:44 am It’s interesting cudgee but I cannot understand why anyone would spend that much for it. If you want a clamp guided system a Lansky or several others are excellent options, for about 10% of that price. Personally I’ll take my freehand stones, or my Worksharp Guided Sharpener, again at 10% of the cost or less. Must be some double-throw-down super duper aspect I’m missing. :lol: I guess maybe you’re paying for the “micro adjustments of .05 degrees” (which is IMHO useless overkill).

Ken
Yes mate i am in total agreement with you, i do freehand but had a hand operation which makes it a bit difficult, can still do freehand but not as confident as i was. So i experimented with some guided systems, all pretty good, but i bought one off Ebay which is excellent. The above system would cost $1171 Aus plus postage, so it would be well over $1200 Aus, the one i got off Ebay was $30 Aus including postage. I know which is the better value, i like you don't need .05 degree increments. Thanks for your thoughts, and have a good weekend mate. ::tu:: :)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I have the Wicked Edge Go. I'm very happy with it. I can't remember the cost but I think it was around $350.

It comes with a clamp mount for portability but the supplied clamp was just shy of meeting my needs.
IMG_4765.JPG
I don't need the portability anyway so I fastened it down to my workbench.
IMG_4783.JPG
What I like the most about it is that the stones are in pairs. You hold one in your left hand and one in your right hand and work each side of the blade simultaneously. It works very well. Especially for someone like me who couldn't put a freehand edge on a knife if you paid him a million dollars.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:11 am I have the Wicked Edge Go. I'm very happy with it. I can't remember the cost but I think it was around $350.

It comes with a clamp mount for portability but the supplied clamp was just shy of meeting my needs.
IMG_4765.JPG

I don't need the portability anyway so I fastened it down to my workbench.
IMG_4783.JPG

What I like the most about it is that the stones are in pairs. You hold one in your left hand and one in your right hand and work each side of the blade simultaneously. It works very well. Especially for someone like me who couldn't put a freehand edge on a knife if you paid him a million dollars.
What ever works for you my friend, like everything if you use it you get your moneys worth. But yours is a lot cheaper then the one i posted, but they do look very well made. ::tu::
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

Hi Cudgee,

Just had my Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener delivered. I plan on doing some tinkering with it today. I'll let you know how it goes. My first impressions after unboxing it, seems to be a solid rig. At $49.00 from Amazon, the price is right too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L7 ... UTF8&psc=1
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mark in PA wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:31 pm Hi Cudgee,

Just had my Work Sharp Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener delivered. I plan on doing some tinkering with it today. I'll let you know how it goes. My first impressions after unboxing it, seems to be a solid rig. At $49.00 from Amazon, the price is right too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L7 ... UTF8&psc=1
I saw one of them the other day when i was just looking at sharpeners out there. Looks like a good simple to use little unit, will look forward to your report. Have a good weekend mate. :)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Yep. Keep us informed. 👏👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “Sharpening Forum”