Favorite sharpening method.

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
User avatar
Twhite
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:29 am
Location: Burbank CA

Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Twhite » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:57 am

As I am new here and have been picking through millions of posts. I found it a bit strange there is not much talk of sharpening. I for one live to sharpen things. I use straight razors and needed to keep them keen. So I have a few different options for my knives.

My go to stones for my knives are my Arkansas. Washita for first polish after setting the bevel. Then move on to the Lily White and finish off with a hard black. But last month I got the Tru hone set from Dan’s Rough stone os a man made medium is a soft Arkansas and the Fine is a hard Arkansas. This is really working out nicely.
Attachments
DDBC30FC-F538-45FB-A7E4-332DD58B57CE.jpeg
A6905B12-236B-4A1E-9FE9-2DD305C3316A.jpeg
A545F02B-A80D-4C05-BCBB-572D36DF956A.jpeg
780765B7-1CD2-414C-9190-13B1D672F0A8.jpeg

User avatar
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 6943
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Colonel26 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:15 am

A kindred soul!!!! I love old whet rocks. I’m a free hand sharpened too, and a straight razor shaver myself. Looks like you have some nice old rocks.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

User avatar
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 6005
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:28 am
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Mumbleypeg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:23 am

Welcome to AAPK. "Sharpening" is one of the more frequently discussed topics here - sorry you weren't able to find it.

Click on "Quick links" (above this, on the left), scroll down to "Search" and click on it. When the dialog box opens, type in "sharpening" and click submit. You'll get back 245 pages of posts with discussions of sharpening techniques, sharpening systems (Lansky, etc), sharpening stones (carborundum, Arkansas, oil, water, etc), links to YouTube videos, and an entire thread on sharpening stones. You'll find a lot of varying opinions. ::sotb::

Have fun!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

User avatar
Twhite
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:29 am
Location: Burbank CA

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Twhite » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:27 am

Mumbleypeg wrote:Welcome to AAPK. "Sharpening" is one of the more frequently discussed topics here - sorry you weren't able to find it.

Click on "Quick links" (above this, on the left), scroll down to "Search" and click on it. When the dialog box opens, type in "sharpening" and click submit. You'll get back 245 pages of posts with discussions of sharpening techniques, sharpening systems (Lansky, etc), sharpening stones (carborundum, Arkansas, oil, water, etc), links to YouTube videos, and an entire thread on sharpening stones. You'll find a lot of varying opinions. ::sotb::

Have fun!

Ken


Ken thank you for the tip. I find sharpening very relaxing and rewarding.

Tom

User avatar
Twhite
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:29 am
Location: Burbank CA

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Twhite » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:31 am

Colonel26 wrote:A kindred soul!!!! I love old whet rocks. I’m a free hand sharpened too, and a straight razor shaver myself. Looks like you have some nice old rocks.

I have different rocks for my Straights. Naniwa progression. Then my naturals are Arkansas Translucent, Thuri, a couple of Coticuls, Yellow lakes and a JNat.

I much prefere natural finishes.

Tom

User avatar
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 6943
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Colonel26 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 am

Twhite wrote:
Colonel26 wrote:A kindred soul!!!! I love old whet rocks. I’m a free hand sharpened too, and a straight razor shaver myself. Looks like you have some nice old rocks.

I have different rocks for my Straights. Naniwa progression. Then my naturals are Arkansas Translucent, Thuri, a couple of Coticuls, Yellow lakes and a JNat.

I much prefere natural finishes.

Tom


Tom, I’m with you on sharpening for relaxation. I love sharpening knives, and razors too. Although I’m just now getting into the razor sharpening. I’ve touched mine up a few times, and they’re getting to the point they need a little refreshing. I’ve been looking at the waterstones, and the coticules. Haven’t made that plunge yet, but I see it coming.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

User avatar
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 6005
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:28 am
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Mumbleypeg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:43 am

I find free-hand sharpening relaxing also. I sometimes do it while watching television. Once you learn how, it's kinda like riding a bicycle - you can do it by feel (and sound) without much thinking about it.

Here's an older thread you might find of interest. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57311&hilit=Sharpening+technique

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

User avatar
Twhite
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:29 am
Location: Burbank CA

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Twhite » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:04 am

Mumbleypeg wrote:I find free-hand sharpening relaxing also. I sometimes do it while watching television. Once you learn how, it's kinda like riding a bicycle - you can do it by feel (and sound) without much thinking about it.

Here's an older thread you might find of interest. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57311&hilit=Sharpening+technique

Ken

Thanks that was a great read.

User avatar
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 16943
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 6:23 am
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby orvet » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:00 am

Hi guys as you probably noticed by now there is a new Sharpening Forum located in the Specialty Forums section.
As I come across them I will be relocating the topics on sharpening to the new Sharpening Forum.

Have fun playing with sharp objects that objects that make other objects sharp! :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain

User avatar
Lansky1
Posts: 943
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:47 am
Location: "Pennsyltucky"
Contact:

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Lansky1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm a fan of the Lansky rod guided sharpening system.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Sharpcutsbest
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:25 am

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Sharpcutsbest » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:09 am

Colenel 26 wrote: Tom, I’m with you on sharpening for relaxation. I love sharpening knives, and razors too. Although I’m just now getting into the razor sharpening. I’ve touched mine up a few times, and they’re getting to the point they need a little refreshing. I’ve been looking at the waterstones, and the coticules. Haven’t made that plunge yet, but I see it coming.

I use a straight razor myself and was taught on a woodworking form that for shaving your face, the edge has to be sharp AND smooth. At that time, I was shaving after a translucent Arkansas stone. Not smooth enough, ouch!
I got a 4 inch wide, 24 inch long, 1/4 inch thick piece of balsa from Hobby Lobby and charged it with 10 micron graded chromium oxide powder then put a little mineral oil on it to make it stay put better. Good improvement.
Got another "stick" of balsa and charged that with 5 micron graded iron oxide (rust). It came with it's own oil included. Better improvement.
Was told to get a HARD leather strop called horse butt leather to minimize rolling the fragile edge on a razor.
I rarely put the razor on a stone unless I bump the edge on my fingernail. It's mostly just stropped on the leather.
Occasionally, I'll put it on the rust to touch up.
Also, I've learned to shave with cold water. You want to hydrate the whiskers to cut easily, like green wood. Hot water makes the whiskers go limp and the razor skips over them.
Hope this helps, sorry for the novel.

User avatar
Twhite
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:29 am
Location: Burbank CA

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Twhite » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:07 am

Sharpcutsbest wrote:Colenel 26 wrote: Tom, I’m with you on sharpening for relaxation. I love sharpening knives, and razors too. Although I’m just now getting into the razor sharpening. I’ve touched mine up a few times, and they’re getting to the point they need a little refreshing. I’ve been looking at the waterstones, and the coticules. Haven’t made that plunge yet, but I see it coming.

I use a straight razor myself and was taught on a woodworking form that for shaving your face, the edge has to be sharp AND smooth. At that time, I was shaving after a translucent Arkansas stone. Not smooth enough, ouch!
I got a 4 inch wide, 24 inch long, 1/4 inch thick piece of balsa from Hobby Lobby and charged it with 10 micron graded chromium oxide powder then put a little mineral oil on it to make it stay put better. Good improvement.
Got another "stick" of balsa and charged that with 5 micron graded iron oxide (rust). It came with it's own oil included. Better improvement.
Was told to get a HARD leather strop called horse butt leather to minimize rolling the fragile edge on a razor.
I rarely put the razor on a stone unless I bump the edge on my fingernail. It's mostly just stropped on the leather.
Occasionally, I'll put it on the rust to touch up.
Also, I've learned to shave with cold water. You want to hydrate the whiskers to cut easily, like green wood. Hot water makes the whiskers go limp and the razor skips over them.
Hope this helps, sorry for the novel.


I too finish of my Straights with rust on a piece of leather mounted on aluminum. Works great

Tom

User avatar
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 6943
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Colonel26 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 am

Sharpcutsbest wrote:Colenel 26 wrote: Tom, I’m with you on sharpening for relaxation. I love sharpening knives, and razors too. Although I’m just now getting into the razor sharpening. I’ve touched mine up a few times, and they’re getting to the point they need a little refreshing. I’ve been looking at the waterstones, and the coticules. Haven’t made that plunge yet, but I see it coming.

I use a straight razor myself and was taught on a woodworking form that for shaving your face, the edge has to be sharp AND smooth. At that time, I was shaving after a translucent Arkansas stone. Not smooth enough, ouch!
I got a 4 inch wide, 24 inch long, 1/4 inch thick piece of balsa from Hobby Lobby and charged it with 10 micron graded chromium oxide powder then put a little mineral oil on it to make it stay put better. Good improvement.
Got another "stick" of balsa and charged that with 5 micron graded iron oxide (rust). It came with it's own oil included. Better improvement.
Was told to get a HARD leather strop called horse butt leather to minimize rolling the fragile edge on a razor.
I rarely put the razor on a stone unless I bump the edge on my fingernail. It's mostly just stropped on the leather.
Occasionally, I'll put it on the rust to touch up.
Also, I've learned to shave with cold water. You want to hydrate the whiskers to cut easily, like green wood. Hot water makes the whiskers go limp and the razor skips over them.
Hope this helps, sorry for the novel.


I agree completely about the cold water. It’s a much better shave. I strop my razors, and I have a block of balsa with iron oxide. I also have a couple old barber hones I touch up with.

Maybe I’m just trying g to excuse some new hones. :mrgreen:
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

User avatar
Nev52
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby Nev52 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:04 am

I like the Natural Whetstone Company Arkansas stones. Then strop with compound. Over the years I have used Smith's Tri hone. The Lansky system. I like them all but my go to is the Arkansas stone.

User avatar
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 15004
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: West Central FL
Contact:

Re: Favorite sharpening method.

Postby TripleF » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:11 am

Freehand sharpener myself. I can only sharpen carbon at this point......


Return to “Sharpening Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests