expert

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
alabama

expert

Post by alabama »

I am an expert at one thing--one of the best in the world--maybe in the top 5 or 10--I have bought and sold knives from early 80s to now--used them before then.....IM AN EXPERT AT DULLING A KNIFE WHEN IM TRYING TO SHARPEN IT.....my usa made accusharp carbide pull across is good at sharpening most knives...so if your an expert,like me...give it a try...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: expert

Post by doglegg »

I know a Texas boy who ranks right up there. :lol:
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I'll see your Texas and raise you a Wyoming.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

alabama wrote:I am an expert at one thing--one of the best in the world--maybe in the top 5 or 10--I have bought and sold knives from early 80s to now--used them before then.....IM AN EXPERT AT DULLING A KNIFE WHEN IM TRYING TO SHARPEN IT.....my usa made accusharp carbide pull across is good at sharpening most knives...so if your an expert,like me...give it a try...
Might be somethin' in the water . .. ...
... .. . you on the Coosa, or the Tallapoosa ??
:lol:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
alabama

Post by alabama »

I have had the nickname alabama from 87 to today...I am within sight of Cumberland gap tn..I think it may that spring water coming out of a cave-I think I drank bats..t--I have worked in cinti. oh area 23 years...could be that ohio river water....or it could be im no good at sharpening knives...
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

alabama wrote:I have had the nickname alabama from 87 to today...I am within sight of Cumberland gap tn..I think it may that spring water coming out of a cave-I think I drank bats..t--I have worked in cinti. oh area 23 years...could be that ohio river water....or it could be im no good at sharpening knives...

Ditto in Indiana. Maybe I expect too much. I want to be able to shave hair off of my arm when I am done and rarely do I ever achieve that level of sharpness. It makes me not want to use a new knife because it will never be as sharp again as it came out of the box. I have watched videos from YouTube, bought a lansky system, spent a lot of money on various DMT and stones and I never get it as sharp. Could someone tell me how long should I try before I give up? I don’t want to take off more metal than is absolutely necessary but I wonder if I am just not giving it enough time?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

With the Lansky, and I would assume other controlled-angle systems,
one trick is to color the edge with a sharpie. Then a few light strokes with a stone
will show you where you are actually cutting the metal. Adjust the position
so that the angle matches on both sides of the blade.
Alcohol will remove the remnants of the sharpie.

Hope this helps ....
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am not a very good sharpener, but i can usually get to easily shaving off arm hairs. The mistake i used to make was taking off too much steel. By applying less pressure and doing fewer strokes the edges got sharper.
I also think there is some 'magic' involved. If you believe you will get the edge sharper, you are more likely to end up with a sharp edge.
If you think "man, i am lousy at sharpening" then you are more likely to not get a very good edge.
Try it: adjust your attitude before you 'adjust' the knife edge, and then sharpen with confidence. Ya gotta be confident, not just pretend confident.
kj
alabama

Post by alabama »

I use mora carbon knives a lot...angle is already set....I lay knife down and move diamond stone...
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I'm pretty good at freehand on regular pocket knives when I take my time. I used to be terrible, it took years of trying and frustration. Sometimes I will get lazy or in a rush and have lackluster results that I have to redo. I can freehand just as sharp as I can on the edge pro when equivalent stones are used but that edge pro is fast and makes your edges really consistent and look really good.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”