15? 20? 25?

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 15? 20? 25?

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:02 pm

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I like to sharpen to as low an angle as I can without having a very wide bevel. I'm very picky about the way my edges look, not really the finish but more so having it straight, even and narrow. I usually do around 18-20 degrees per side but I do 15 or less when I can.

This is a good example of how I like my edges. All the blades on this knife profiled beautifully when I took it to 18 dps. A very nice straight and narrow bevel on all three blades. The blades are ground well and I'm pleased with the way they cut. The bevel is narrow enough that I may take them down to 15 in the future for even better performance but we'll see.

IMG_3351.JPG

Paul, that is a very handsome knife. I think it’s a GEC, but wanted to make sure? I love the color, the blade, shape and shield of that one.
Very nice.
SSk
SSk (Mark)
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs

KnifeSlinger#81

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I like to sharpen to as low an angle as I can without having a very wide bevel. I'm very picky about the way my edges look, not really the finish but more so having it straight, even and narrow. I usually do around 18-20 degrees per side but I do 15 or less when I can.

This is a good example of how I like my edges. All the blades on this knife profiled beautifully when I took it to 18 dps. A very nice straight and narrow bevel on all three blades. The blades are ground well and I'm pleased with the way they cut. The bevel is narrow enough that I may take them down to 15 in the future for even better performance but we'll see.

IMG_3351.JPG

Paul, that is a very handsome knife. I think it’s a GEC, but wanted to make sure? I love the color, the blade, shape and shield of that one.
Very nice.
SSk

Thank you. Yes it's a gec, a micarta 82 stockman. It has been my edc since I bought it.
-Paul T.

Always looking for excellent to mint condition schrade cut co and walden knives. I really like stockman and cattle patterns.

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:35 pm

I use 15° for both pocket and kitchen knives.
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

Steve Warden

Postby Steve Warden » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:41 pm

Quick Steel wrote:I use 15° for both pocket and kitchen knives.

How's the edge retention on such a thin edge?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Colonel26 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Steve Warden wrote:
Quick Steel wrote:I use 15° for both pocket and kitchen knives.

How's the edge retention on such a thin edge?

I can give you my take on it. I think I can go longer between touch ups. Now part of that may be since there’s less resistance over all because of there being less shoulder to the cutting edge. I don’t know. It works for me.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

eveled
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby eveled » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:20 pm

Anybody else lay them flat on the stone and rub them back and forth, for a full flat grind? Then a very slight secondary bevel at the edge. Not right for every knife but it’s great for some of them.

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby FRJ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:54 am

Imaginary edge shapes.
Attachments
DSCN7094.JPG
DSCN7096.JPG
Joe

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Colonel26 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:59 am

Joe thanks for that visual. I sharpen mine closer to the 30° inclusive one.

eveled wrote:Anybody else lay them flat on the stone and rub them back and forth, for a full flat grind? Then a very slight secondary bevel at the edge. Not right for every knife but it’s great for some of them.

My dad does pretty close to that. Problem is he isn’t real particular how even he gets the bevel. He sure can make a blade look ugly, but it works for him.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby FRJ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:01 am

Colonel26 wrote: I sharpen mine closer to the 30° inclusive one.

I do too Wade. Or less. I've got to get my kitchen knives through those onions and potatoes. :mrgreen:
My pocket knives are layed right over. I'm not cutting anything too rough these days.
Thanks.
Joe

KnifeSlinger#81

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 am

eveled wrote:Anybody else lay them flat on the stone and rub them back and forth, for a full flat grind? Then a very slight secondary bevel at the edge. Not right for every knife but it’s great for some of them.

I do that when a blade is too thick for my liking, or the bevel is too wide for the angle I want or it's just jacked up. I would really like to get a belt sander for that purpose actually, right now I just use sandpaper which is pretty slow.
-Paul T.

Always looking for excellent to mint condition schrade cut co and walden knives. I really like stockman and cattle patterns.

eveled
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby eveled » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:03 am

I use the end of my smiths diamond stone and push (stab) the blade length wise. Then I lay it flat and go the long way on the stone. This gives it a cross hatch effect and seems to help the process. It thins it removes high spots and really smooths it out. I don’t get there all at once. But each time it gets sharpened I do it a little more. If nothing else it thins the blade as you sharpen down into the thicker part of the edge.

I do the same on my kitchen knives especially the pairing knives.

A big word of caution beware of the sharp corners on the spine of the blade. It can become very sharp. Always round off the corners of the spine.

It’s very difficult to capture in a picture. But these were all sharpened like that.

9794E1C4-0C6E-4236-8D56-8ABD04A3D3FD.jpeg

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:53 am

Steve, I find the durability of the edges very good, at least for my purposes. But I should point out that my knives don't get much heavy, prolonged cutting. Plus I do make use of a chef's steel on knives including my pocket knives. This reduces the need to sharpen more frequently.
Members who routinely give their knives a lot of use would be better situated to judge the durability of the 15°edge. But for me it works well.
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

Daryl
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Daryl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:44 pm

I like 15 degrees per side (30 degrees inclusive) for my kitchen knives, and 20 degrees/side on my pocket knives. (On the 20-degree knives, I prefer to back-bevel at 15 degrees/side first.)

richard bissell

Postby richard bissell » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:42 pm

Lanskey has now come out with a "pull-thru" type bevel setting device which uses the common 2 pieces of carbide with 4 pairs of them set at bevel angles starting at 17 degrees and then going to 20, 25, & 30 degrees.//This is great for a quick reset of the bevel although it does feel a bit heavy in a trouser pocket!thank you...

Return to “Sharpening Forum”