sharpening novice needs guidance

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
thickskinner54

Re: sharpening novice needs guidance

Post by thickskinner54 »

Thanks, Cudgee, That was super helpful and I am going to get that sharpener! Seems perfect for my blades. I really appreciate the tips, bro. ::handshake::
Take care,
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I know this is a old thread but I am going to put in my 2 cents.
My Dad taught me to sharpen a knife when I was 13 years old. I am 60 now so I have sharpened one or two in my day.
I have tried the V sticks, Lansky sharpeners, belt sanders just about everything. But I always come back to Novaculite Arkansas stones at a 15 to 20 degree angle.
That's on work knives, Hunting knives or Kitchen knives. If the edge is in poor shape I start off with a soft Arkansas 400 grit then move up to hard 800 grit. Next I use the black novaculite 1200 grit. I finish off with a white stropping compound the move up to green stropping compound work knives and hunting knives are very sharp after this procedure. If I am doing a kitchen knife I do one more strop with a red compound.
I don't know if this is the best method but works for me.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Take a stick and try to shave off a sliver the longer the better. That’s the motion and angle you want to use on the stone.

The sharpie trick is an excellent teaching tool.
Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

eveled wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pmThe sharpie trick is an excellent teaching tool.
And a good magnifying glass! Once you see what you are doing to the blade it helps with your technique.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”