Work Sharp

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
BatJak

Re: Work Sharp

Post by BatJak »

I got one of these for all our kitchen knives.
Works pretty good but they only make 120 grit belts for it.
71MWSpCS2XL._SX679_.jpg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Batjac: I’m not sure what yours came with. Mine included 3 different grit belts. Offhand, I don’t know the grits but one is very aggressive for creating an edge where little or none exists. The middle one is to touch up and restore the edge. And an ultra fine to polish the edge. I also bought a third party leather belt that came with white rouge to put a glass smooth edge on the blade. Work Sharp sells grit belts separately or in assorted packs. The leather one I found on Amazon for the obsessive purists that want a surgically sharp edge. Hope this helps.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

Mine is a different model than the original.
The belts for the original don't fit.
I did find some from a 3rd party that fit, though.

Here's a little better pic of it.
It's smaller than the original model.
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (8.84 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

Older thread, I know, but I’ve got to say that I love my work sharp. However... it’s a Ken Onion edition that never seemed quite right for some blade due to the guides. I don’t really care for using both directions of the belt, into the blade one side, away on the other. I got the blade grinder attachment, which makes it a freehand tool and just a small belt grinder. Between that and the speed adjustment on the KO, you can take it easy on the blades and have a lot more control. The wider belts are nice too.
That and a nice strop do a great job. A “real” strop, I don’t see such good results from a leather strop belt for the work sharp for some reason.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

EeDeCe:
Thanks for the info. Mine is the standard model. I never gave it thought to realize that one side is into the blade and the other side is away. Good point. The standard Worksharp doesn’t have speed control. The stropping belt is aftermarket and works ok but it doesn’t give you the control a strop would. Still, it does a great job. Always looking to improve, so I will be trying your suggestions. Thanks
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”