How much to charge to sharpen knives?

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
StrawHat

Re: How much to charge to sharpen knives?

Post by StrawHat »

Colonel26 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:32 pm ...Thank you for that information Kevin. I’ve often thought of setting up a sharpening booth myself....
I just reread the thread and saw this.

What kind of venue are you considering? Farmers’ Markets are usually good venues. Same goes for butcher shops. I have found places that sell food attract a better crowd of customers than non food venues although I have one hardware/tool store that is a big venue for me.

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

StrawHat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:38 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:32 pm ...Thank you for that information Kevin. I’ve often thought of setting up a sharpening booth myself....

What kind of venue are you considering? Farmers’ Markets are usually good venues. Same goes for butcher shops. I have found places that sell food attract a better crowd of customers than non food venues although I have one hardware/tool store that is a big venue for me.

Kevin
That sharpening set up is ingenious! I love it. And I’ll throw my hat in with the rest, fantastic machine and a great wife you have there.

As to the venue I was thinking farmer’s markets. We have a couple of large ones close by me. Also a big gun and knife show.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:32 pm
StrawHat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:38 pm

Kevin

That sharpening set up is ingenious! I love it. And I’ll throw my hat in with the rest, fantastic machine and a great wife you have there.

As to the venue I was thinking farmer’s markets. We have a couple of large ones close by me. Also a big gun and knife show.

A friend of mine sharpens at the ara Gun Shows so I stay out of them. He mostly gets pocket knives, a few belt knives. His big money maker at the gun shows is buying and selling pocket knives. He only deals with well made, usually older, knives. It might be something to consider. I am not sure if there are any fees involved but assume there are. There may also be other sharpeners.

Farmers’ Markets are where I got my professional start. First year I worked three. Second year, six Markets and the third year, 12.

I worked exactly 1 Flea Market and now avoid them. People expect to haggle prices. I don’t haggle. My prices are fair and set. Another acquaintance works a couple of fleas and seems to do okay but he also sells wooden spoons, rings and other crafts he makes.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I don’t necessarily have all the answers but I certainly have made all the mistakes and lived through them.

Kevin
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::facepalm:: I've been to alot of gun and knife shows where were guys with a table set up to sharpen knives. I've watched a few of these guys sharpen knives and thought I wouldn't want them to touch mine. I saw 1 guy take the temper out of a blade then he asked me if I wanted mine sharpened. I responded not in my lifetime! Most charged about $5. I hope you do well in your business and do a great job! Good luck. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

fergusontd wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:35 pm ::facepalm:: I've been to alot of gun and knife shows where were guys with a table set up to sharpen knives. I've watched a few of these guys sharpen knives and thought I wouldn't want them to touch mine. I saw 1 guy take the temper out of a blade then he asked me if I wanted mine sharpened. I responded not in my lifetime! Most charged about $5. I hope you do well in your business and do a great job! Good luck. ftd
Do you remember what he was using to sharpen?

Kevin
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There’s a guy who sets up his knife sharpening at the monthly trade days (Third Monday). From what I’ve observed he seems to do okay. He is a gregarious sort though and if not busy sharpening at the time (or sometimes even while busy) he will,engage passers-by with banter. Once when I was walking buy with my wife he said to me “a man wearing a John Deere cap surely has a Case knife in his pocket!” I said I did so he asked if he could see it. Then he asked if I wanted it sharpened. I passed but stayed a minute to talk and looked at his set up. He has two different belt sanders/sharpeners and a buffing wheel on about a three ft wide by six or eight ft long portable workbench. Also has a panel van with signage on the side, advertising his sharpening business.

IIRC he charges $3 for a single blade knife, $4 for two blades and $5 for three blades. I watched him sharpen a guy’s three-blade stockman - took him less than about 5 minutes total. As each blade was sharpened he held up a piece of paper and sliced it with the blade to show it was sharp. Quick and no wasted motion. When finished he asked the guy if he wanted the knife buffed too.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::woot:: Strawhat, he was using a paper wheel on a bench grinder. Said it was the best and easiest way. Looked a little dubious to me. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

fergusontd wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:35 pm ::facepalm:: I've been to alot of gun and knife shows where were guys with a table set up to sharpen knives. I've watched a few of these guys sharpen knives and thought I wouldn't want them to touch mine. I saw 1 guy take the temper out of a blade then he asked me if I wanted mine sharpened. I responded not in my lifetime! Most charged about $5. I hope you do well in your business and do a great job! Good luck. ftd
I have seen the same thing at local gunshows. No way they are touching mine also. The reason they have a lot of work and can make money is that the average Joe has no clue how to sharpen anything. This was proven to me when I worked for a Stihl dealer where chainsaw sharpening was done and people would bring in chains that they had "attempted " to sharpen themselves. One look at their efforts and I would have to tell them to toss it and buy a new chain.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

Paper wheels, in my opinion, operate way to fast 3500 (+/-) RPM is not sharpening speed. Also, in my opinion, since the common grinder has the top of the wheel coming towards the operator, they spin in the wrong direction for my peace of mind. The prep and maintenance is also a lot more than I am willing to deal with. Having said that, they seem to be popular with the Gun Show Sharpeners.

I have a couple of slow speed (1725 RPM) systems and find them to be better but still too fast. At that speed, they can still remove to much stock and heat the metal more than I like to see.

Kevin
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have used a variety of systems since the early 1980s starting in a cutlery store with a system from the Gerber factory, a 150 grit stone at 1700 RPM and sharpening into the oncoming wheel. It was a scarry way to learn sharpening but you learned to move quickly!

Mostly I use a 1X 42 belt sander with a 150 or 220 grit ceramic belt. I move the blade quickly so heating is not a problem. I finish the knife on a Powr-Strop leather wheel to deburr the blade.
Since I collect different sharpening systems I play with all different methods. I have a Tormix type sharpener, a slow wet stone wheel. Great for sharpening blades for hand planes and chisels.

Over 95% of all my sharpening is on the 1X42 including my EDCs.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

As a little boy I used to play with the peddle of our sewing machine, the same as yours. Clearly, your wife is brilliant.
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

orvet wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:42 pm I have used a variety of systems since the early 1980s starting in a cutlery store with a system from the Gerber factory, a 150 grit stone at 1700 RPM and sharpening into the oncoming wheel. It was a scarry way to learn sharpening but you learned to move quickly!

Mostly I use a 1X 42 belt sander with a 150 or 220 grit ceramic belt. I move the blade quickly so heating is not a problem. I finish the knife on a Powr-Strop leather wheel to deburr the blade.
Since I collect different sharpening systems I play with all different methods. I have a Tormix type sharpener, a slow wet stone wheel. Great for sharpening blades for hand planes and chisels.

Over 95% of all my sharpening is on the 1X42 including my EDCs.
I have two “slow rpm” belt sanders. Both 1x42. Ceramic belts are the way to go with them! They both turn 1750 rpm so not real slow but as you said, keep the blade moving and it will stay cool. Mostly I use the 1x42 tool for sharpening garden tools.

I have roughly 200 bench stones in my shop. Anytime a “new” stone was developed, I would buy some and test them. Some were losers, some are winners. I keep a set of diamond stones in my vehicles for those who prefer a flat edge on their knives.

I have tested most, if not all, of the machines and gimmicks out there. Not many stay on the bench. Most get tested and put away as not acceptable for what I need.

Kevin
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

Just so folks don’t imagine this job is all fun and games, October starts the busy seat for us. BUT, it is still uncertain how much will happen in a given day. For example, Wednesday we sharpened for only one customer, 21 pair of scissors. Friday 28 customers brought 278 items to be sharpened. Since I am an itinerant sharpener, everything needs to be done before I get to go home.

You learn to establish and hone an edge quickly. Customers understand waiting. They do not understand returning dull edges.

Kevin
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

While you are figuring out what to charge to sharpen a knife, consider how much you will charge to repair damaged edges.

Like this one.
00EDBA48-4B70-4947-B0A3-BF5EA9176910.jpeg
I should have included something for scale. That crater is nearly 5/16” deep!

Kevin
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Woody must have gotten his answer.
He hasn't been around in almost a year.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

StrawHat wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:28 am While you are figuring out what to charge to sharpen a knife, consider how much you will charge to repair damaged edges.

Like this one.

00EDBA48-4B70-4947-B0A3-BF5EA9176910.jpeg

I should have included something for scale. That crater is nearly 5/16” deep!

Kevin
The brand looks familiar, I believe the blade is much thinner? Looks like someone hit a stainless steel sink with no cutting board. "it happens!" The customer would have to understand it will be much different and sometimes just turn down the job.
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

That is a Miyabi. I explained there were two ways to fix that. The easy (inexpensive) way, with a slow wheel remove the crater and then create a new bevel or the correct way. The correct way involves flat stones, laying the existing main bevel on the stone and removing the crater by thinning the knife on both sides while maintaining the correct bevel. Then sharpening the knife at the proper angle. It was also explained that the weight would change and the balance would shift. She opted for the second method.

Kevin
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! How long did it take you to fix that one?
StrawHat wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:11 pm That is a Miyabi. I explained there were two ways to fix that. The easy (inexpensive) way, with a slow wheel remove the crater and then create a new bevel or the correct way. The correct way involves flat stones, laying the existing main bevel on the stone and removing the crater by thinning the knife on both sides while maintaining the correct bevel. Then sharpening the knife at the proper angle. It was also explained that the weight would change and the balance would shift. She opted for the second method.

Kevin
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

Less time than I thought. Done in less than two hours, including polishing.

The initial stone was slightly finer than a cinder block and got the nick out quickly. After that, successively finer grits where used to remove scratches. Polishing was done with a leather belt at about 1000 rpm.

Kevin
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

“Slightly finer than a cinder block” ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

Well done!
Robert E. Lee
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

My wife and I come to the Chicago area four time each year to sharpen in a small chain of grocery stores. Been doing it for six years and we enjoy it quite a bit. We rent a house and bring the dogs so there is down time and time to relax. This trip was a bit different. I packed the vehicle late on a dark, damp and cold evening. I hurried as I was cold and hungry.

We get to the first store and as I am unloading my equipment I realize I the wheels for my foot powered sharpening device did not make the trip! Tough to sharpen without the abrasive wheels. I always carry back ups but the back up pedestal is intended to be mounted on the primary platform base which is still back home! I always bring other devices with me for sharpening but those require electricity and while I am not opposed to using them, I do not use them in an open store. Herself looks at me and says “what would your Father do? How did he teach you to sharpen?” So, I grabbed my case of bench stones and prepared for business. Honestly, the thought of 40-60 customers a day and 200-400 items a day was a bit unnerving. But, I am happy to say that Pop’s training paid off. The first three days saw us sharpen for a few more than 100 customers with no one turned away. Yes, we stayed longer at one store than we scheduled but everyone, customers and store management, was happy we were there.

We have four more days and then we head home. We, my wife is the one who does all the intake, paper work, sleeving, returns, etc. All I do is sharpen. Together, we are easily three times as efficient as when I work solo. My arms and shoulders are getting a work out! But, we, mostly I, have learned a bunch from this trip.

Thank you Pop! For teaching me how to sharpen when I was a kid. For teaching me not to panic in a situation but to get settled and find a solution. For teaching me not to quit. And for insisting I sit up straight. 10 hours sitting on a stool would be a killer if I were to slouch!

Kevin
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you for recounting such a challenging experience. Well done.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Way to push through, Kevin.
Great story. Thanks for sharing!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well done Kevin!!👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

Herself and I survived!! Seven days of solid sharpening, nearly 400 customers. What a week! I have a newfound respect for my bench stones, enough so I am considering retiring my foot powered wheels.

Thank you for the thoughts and support.

Kevin

Return to “Sharpening Forum”