Testing the Edge

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Testing the Edge

Post by jerryd6818 »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:43 pm Pad of thumb.
Same here.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:43 pm Pad of thumb. I have very thin skin and I can tell if it is sharp enough for me to smile, very quickly this way. On a related note, I am not very good at achieving this sharpness. :(
On an unrelated note, it seems to me that knives lose sharpness to a degree, just sitting. Am I nuts?
I’ve noticed some of my knives do seem to lose sharpness spring around and some don’t seem to. I have no idea why but I have noticed that.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:46 pm I’ve noticed some of my knives do seem to lose sharpness spring around and some don’t seem to. I have no idea why but I have noticed that.
That's because them boys are sneakin' 'em and trying to cut barbwire with 'em. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:08 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:46 pm I’ve noticed some of my knives do seem to lose sharpness spring around and some don’t seem to. I have no idea why but I have noticed that.
That's because them boys are sneakin' 'em and trying to cut barbwire with 'em. :mrgreen:
Hmmmm. I do see them ogling my edc Knives occasionally. You might not be far off!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I recall a thread in BF years ago in which many people posted that their knives did loose sharpness over time when in storage. Some were people who claimed to be good at sharpening and then knew the level of sharpness that they brought the edges to. Then after a year or two, this level of sharpness was no longer present.
A few metallurgists discussed the edge at the molecular level but could not account for the observed dulling.
When doing 'slice the hanging paper' test, how far from your pinch grip on the paper do you slice ? Someone has said 1". I try at about 3" on newsprint.
kj
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

After sharpening I push the edge of the blade into my thumb nail, on the flat, thoughtfully.
Blade at an angle. If it is sharp it will catch immediately.
I try this at the tang and several places up the blade to the tip. I try the other side. Same method.
If it slides I go back to the stone until I get the results I want. A sharp edge.
I can't tell you the last time I shaved hair on my arm. I'm not interested in that.
I tried to cut paper awhile back after sharpening. I was surprised it didn't cut it very well. I don't care.
I put my wonderful knife in my pocket and moved on.

I think blade edges will loose a fine cutting edge in storage. Just noticeably less sharp. I remembering this happening to me. Once.
It probably has happened without my noticing it. Of course I have no explanation for it.

Great thread. It's nice to see sharpening discussed. ::tu::
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I cut a ripe tomato. If it cuts easily it's sharp. If it doesn't, resharpen.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

:D
There ya' go. Tomatoes are a good test. ::tu::
Joe
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:35 am I cut a ripe tomato. If it cuts easily it's sharp. If it doesn't, resharpen.
I have done that when sharpening at Farmers’ Markets. Sometimes with a pepper. Except for the waste of food, a great visual test for customers to witness.

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Cutting a tomato is a lot like slicing bread. A "toothy" edge works better than a shaving edge. Same for cutting steak.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 am Cutting a tomato is a lot like slicing bread. A "toothy" edge works better than a shaving edge. Same for cutting steak.

Ken
What he said ::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 am Cutting a tomato is a lot like slicing bread. A "toothy" edge works better than a shaving edge. Same for cutting steak.

Ken
I’ll add my amen there too. I’m not a fan of super highly polished edges on a pocket knife. Those belong on my straight razor.
Robert E. Lee
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Me three.
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

In my youth I thought I had to test the edge every time.
Filet a paper towel or cut phone book paper...
But I've been hand sharpening so long now that I just check for a wire edge and strop.
I will thumb the edge a bit and that tells me everything I need to know.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I like phonebook paper. If your edge can cleanly slice it (not saw it) they you have a pretty good edge. It also tells you if you have any small dull spots and saves you from having silly looking bald spots on your arm all the time.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

BatJak wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:32 pm In my youth I thought I had to test the edge every time.
But I've been hand sharpening so long now that I just check for a wire edge and strop.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

After sharpening every knife in the house, the arm hair thing wasn't feasible and started to look weird.
Paper test, a push test in different parts of the knife as opposed to a slice. Just a straight on push into the paper.
Also, I've lately been trying my hand at wood carving and have used wine corks to practice on. Now I find those, either real or synthetic, to be a pretty good way to compare sharpness.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

quote: "I will thumb the edge a bit and that tells me everything I need to know."

Yep.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

BatJak wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:32 pm In my youth I thought I had to test the edge every time.
THis is what I do as well. I've learned to look very closely at the edge (practically studying it) - I can now see tiny flat spots or other issues with inconsistently sharpened bevels - to me, getting both bevels perfect all the way down to the edge with the Lansky rig under close inspection, then a feel for (lack of) a burr ... always comes up with "close enough" to me, as I know it will cut if it passes that test
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I use cash register receipts. If it will cut those cleanly, i'm good. ::ds::
Perception is Reality
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:35 pm At home I usually use phone book paper for the initial test but my favorite way to test sharpness is to cut some shrink wrap while it's tightly wrapped around a pallet. We have hundreds of shrink wrapped pallets at my workplace on any given day.

Once I get the blade sharpened to my satisfaction I'll take the knife to work with me and do a final test on some shrink wrap. The shrink wrap is delicate and it responds well to any imperfections that I might have missed along the edge. Fortunately, I rarely need to do any follow up honing but I use the final shrink wrap test to confirm that.
This made me laugh! It is also my method. I test on paper at home then take it to work. The shrink wrap will find any imperfections in a hurry.
Bill
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
Sometimes I use the number of stitches as an indication of sharpness after inadvertently hooking my thumb over the edge while wiping down a freshly sharpened edge.
Just kidding about the stitches, but I do indeed use a lot of band-aids....!
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
Sometimes I use the number of stitches as an indication of sharpness after inadvertently hooking my thumb over the edge while wiping down a freshly sharpened edge.
:lol:
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Working Edge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:39 am I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
You're not the only one on band-aids sir. Right now I have one on my right thumb with a slice on the outside edge, the blade was sharp. On my left thumb is one not from a blade, but from a belt sander when I was shaping a knife handle.
Attachments
My CASE Band-Aid holder
My CASE Band-Aid holder
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Working Edge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:39 am I use my thumb for edge testing, followed by shaving of arm hair.
When I sharpen kitchen knives I use a paper towel to clean the sharpening stone residue off the edge. The slightest bit of inattention and my thumb or finger needs band-aids. That is not my preferred method of checking sharpness, but it does work! I do not normally try to check the edge after sharpening. The first tomato or plum will be a test.
Mel

Return to “Sharpening Forum”